DC reboot

dc20willsave

What is it you like about Batgirl #1?

I found it interesting that despite feeling confident enough to put the costume back on, she gets a serious case of flashback when confronted with a gun, making her the first hero I can think of with a case of (mild?)PTSD. I'm curious enough to find out how this is going to affect her crimefighting in future, to want to keep getting the book to find out.

Also, I would like to know how she got the use of her legs back. From the little that was said, it doesn't just seem to be something that she had to work at, but something that happened suddenly.

Finally, having read a couple of Secret Six trades and several issues of Birds of Prey, I really like Gail Simone's writing. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got a chance to read Green Lantern. The art was pretty nice, except for one close up of Hal that looked strange, and it a lot more went on than I was expecting, however:

It feels like it's too soon for Sinestro to come to Hal with a deal for Hal to become a Green Lantern again. Even a storyline of Hal dealing with life, and Sinestro being a Green Lantern would have been acceptable.

But, if it makes a good overall story, I won't mind.

Edit: Batman and Robin was not very interesting. Bruce sounded too much like Dick. Whenever Bruce interacted with Damian before the reboot he always demanded respect, and here, he's acting like Dick in the first few issues of the original B&R by Morrison, except not nearly as charming. I'll continue reading to see if the dynamic develops, but if the issues continue in this vain, I won't really mind dropping this book and reading something else.

Oh, and the red hooded woman showing up at the pool, looked incredibly stupid and out of place. She was so prominently placed. If you weren't following this red hooded woman, then you would just ask why this stupid character is at the side of a swimming pool in a full red hooded costume.

A seven year-old girl explains what's wrong with the DC reboot of Starfire. (It's getting a lot of traffic, if it doesn't show, it's the first entry on the site.)

The most telling bit:

“Do you think the Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon is a good role model?”

*immediately* “Oh yes. She’s a great role model. She tells people they can be good friends and super powerful and fight for good.”

“Do you think the Starfire in the Teen Titans comic book is a good role model?”

“Yes, too. She’s still a good guy. Pretty, but she’s helping others all the time and saving people.”

“What about this new Starfire?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Why not?”

“Because she’s not doing anything.”

“Is this new Starfire someone you’d want to be when you grow up?”

*she gets uncomfortable again*”Not really. I mean, grown ups can wear what they want, but…she’s not doing anything but wearing a tiny bikini to get attention.”

I just read Teen Titans; it was pretty great.

The wings on Tim's costume are like a cross between a Batman cape and Archangel's wings; it's really cool.

EDIT:

Flash was really great, too. The art really does an awesome job of showing creative ways to utilize speed and have it actually interact with the comic art itself.

Just finished GL: New Guardians. It looks like it's really heavily focused on Kyle Rayner as a character, which is awesome. And it the last half of the story actually makes the various lantern corps seem cool for the first time in a long time.

Does it explain if Kyle is just becoming a Green Lantern, or was the preview a flashback to when he was first chosen?

Also, Mr Terrific, was terrible garbage, and I won't be reading issue 2.

Those villain redesigns aren't all correct, exactly. Most of their costumes are made from pillowcases and things that were actually in Arkham.

Does it explain if Kyle is just becoming a Green Lantern, or was the preview a flashback to when he was first chosen?

Flashback. And though short, it was really well-done. Better than the way it was handled back in the 90s, actually, even though it's the same story.

Chris' weekly review of the new 52: now with two percent more rhyme.

All Star Western - First off, I hate how inconsistent the art is; sometimes it's great, sometimes it's shit. As far as the story goes, it takes a bit of time for the interest to kick in, but when it did, I was all there.

Aquaman - My phone didn't want me to read it. Review to come.

Batman The Dark Knight - It's a nice look into Bruce Wayne's life to begin with, but the parts with Batman are fucking stupid. With the new 52, I'm giving them all a three week chance, then dropping the ones I don't like. This one seems like it'll get dropped. Also, one of my most complained about things is back: more fucking T&A in the form of a god damned Playboy bunny.

Green Lantern: New Guardians - This was a coverage of an origin story mixed with a "what the fuck is gonna happen" type of thing. I like the art and the story looks like it's going in good places. I can't wait to read the rest.

I, Vampire - I like the art, but I have no real idea what's going on in the story. It has a consistent narrative and I somewhat know what's going on but it's just kinda... I don't know; extremely confusing. It is a good read in my book though.

Justice League Dark - Nice set up, pretty art, and a good place it's going. It seems to live up to its dark name fairly well. I really wanna read more of it and see where it goes, though I am still of the mind (and always will be) of giving Wonder Woman some fucking pants. She doesnt need to wear short shorts. It doesn't suit her and I'm sure she gets cold

Superman - This was a great read up till the end. I like the story and the art, but the ending pissed me off.

Teen Titans - This is the book I've been waiting for, and it did not disappoint. Red Robin is funny and smart and makes this a great start to what I hope is a great series.

The Flash - i liked it but i'm gonna have to agree with mike on this one, way too much like spidey and i'm not saying the comics i've only read ultimate spidey and that wasnt like this this was like the movie or the cartoon. something happens gotta find a way away from MJ/iris, not on time doing something and boss gets mad, it just seems like i've read this before. saying all that i do like where the story is and where its going i'll keep reading.

The Savage Hawkman - confused as to what's going on but it seems like a bit of fun. not so sure the story makes sense but i'm kinda digging it

Voodoo - all the T&A made sense in context but they over did it too much. all that aside i ended up liking the concept and it seems that it's gonna be good

So weeek four was a good one for me i cant wait till next month's set comes out

p.s. thank you to whoever edited my review it looks a lot better

Edited by bobobob_100

From the characters to the action, The Flash #1 feels exactly like The Amazing Spider-Man. I mean, Barry is standing in for Peter, while Patty takes the role of Carlie, and Iris is Mary Jane.

It's actually not a bad issue, and it made Barry kinda fun, but if this creative team wants to write Spider-Man so bad, they should call Stephen Wacker over at Marvel.

Okay. So first we have Starfire, then Catwoman, and now Lois Lane. What the fuck?

Okay, during the story Lois Lane has Jimmy hack into the security cameras to get coverage of Superman and he does so succesfully, stating that they didnt put up a firewall and they would be tracked by the police. To this Lois responds that she has this covered and calls up someone in the police station. Cut to the last two pages and Clark goes over to her house to speak to her, only to find out that the guy is there in the middle of the night. As he walks away, Superman uses his super hearing and listens to them talking about him and Lois says "oh shut up and get back in bed".

Seriously? So an empowered woman is now a woman who uses sex and her position to get whatever the hell she needs? Well, that's interesting.

I don't know if I'm the only person who has a problem with this, but it's a horrible depiction of a character who is supposed to be likable. DC, you have no idea what women are like.

Edited by D.W.

Books from this week-

Justice League Dark- Not for me. Why not have this centre around someone who's a name like John Constantine? A dude with a magic vest isn't exactly the same calibre. Dropping this.

Aquaman- Kind of on the nose in the way it dealt with Aquaman's public perception issue but it's probably better than ignoring it in the first issue. There's one thing you can't deny, Aquaman is utterly badass in this in spite of what people think of him. Good stuff, I'll keep reading.

The Flash- Good stuff. I get what Mike's saying about Flash feeling like Spider-man but from my POV that's kind of a welcome update, especially when it comes to Barry. Interested in his various relationships in this too, it's nice how they distinguished Iris from just another love-interest reporter. I'll stick with it.

Teen Titans- Wow these costume redesigns are dumb. Frankly, I don't see the need to retell the origin of this team in parallel with the Young Justice cartoon, especially in a way that so blatantly mirrors the origin of that team. The original Young Justice and Teen Titans books with this crew were very strong and very recent, it's absurd to ask this creative team to try and top it. Might go one more issue because Tim's one of my favourite characters but I'm not feeling this one yet.

The Savage Hawkman- Eh. Probably won't continue with this one. It's like they're trying to turn Carter Hall into Barbarian Space Iron Man. He doesn't need gimmicks like an outfit that forms around him, he needs good writing and something to bash with his mace. And storylines with Hawkgirl that shows the only thing he can't make right by bashing it with a mace is his heart.

So of the new 52 these are what I'll be reading.

Batman & Robin

Batman

Action Comics

Green Lantern

Flash (provided the Rogues show up soon)

Aquaman

and probably one more issue of Nightwing

I'd like to thank DC for the chance to jump off many of their other books when those stories concluded.