DC reboot

dc20willsave

I've been enjoying the extra features in the individual issues of Action Comics and Justice League. JL #2 had some really cool artist guides/models for the new Superman and Batman costumes, as well as a written transcript of a conversation between Steve Trevor and Amanda Waller about Wonder Woman and her origin story.

If they have that kind of thing in the hardcovers, it might be worth it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes hardcovers have more back-up features, such as notes, sketches, scripts, etc. This holds especially true for Absolute editions, which are massively oversized.

I sometimes find, that they add that stuff in the trades instead of the hardcovers. Like justifying double dipping on a DVD to get the Blu-Ray. You have to get the new version, as it comes with an interview with the creators.

Absolutes don't really count to me, as usually they are at least triple the price of a hardcover as standard, and they kind of need bigger pages, and more material to justify that price point.

I quite like the $14.99 trades price point, and I hope they stick to this with all the books, as it may get me to pick up some of these stories in trade at some point.

Sometimes hardcovers have more back-up features, such as notes, sketches, scripts, etc. This holds especially true for Absolute editions, which are massively oversized.

I've seen the Absolute editions, and I can safely say that my shelves would collapse from those freakin' things. Lol.

Justice League #2 had a written transcript of a conversation between Steve Trevor and Amanda Waller about Wonder Woman and her origin story.

I really dug that "interview" as well.

I sometimes find, that they add that stuff in the trades instead of the hardcovers. Like justifying double dipping on a DVD to get the Blu-Ray. You have to get the new version, as it comes with an interview with the creators.

I like interviews with anyone involved with the creation process of these stories. It is interesting to get their thoughts on what works and what doesn't. It's pretty cool.

Red Hood and the Outlaws, believe it or not, actually had an awesome moment with Starfire in issue #3.

The heroes are forced to temporarily hand over their "happiest memories" as collateral to a kung fu monk guru kid in order to get inside a sacred room.

RHatO-03-05.jpg

RHatO-03-06.jpg

RHatO-03-07.jpg

So where has this Starfire been hiding?!?!

Red Hood and the Outlaws, believe it or not, actually had an awesome moment with Starfire in issue #3.

The heroes are forced to temporarily hand over their "happiest memories" as collateral to a kung fu monk guru kid in order to get inside a sacred room.

RHatO-03-05.jpg

RHatO-03-06.jpg

RHatO-03-07.jpg

So where has this Starfire been hiding?!?!

She disappeared after gangbanging those other guards behind her.

I tend to think that Starfire in #1 was a case of a writer knowing a character better than the audience and inadvertently leaving out important details.

Going by various comments that Scott Lobdell has made regarding #1, he knows and understands that Starfire isn't a slut, but didn't do a great job of explaining that in the first issue. If we'd had this flashback before the "hey Roy, wanna bang?" moment, then people probably wouldn't have said "Starfire's a slut;" they'dve said "Oh. Starfire just does whatever the hell she wants, and if that includes Roy Harper then so be it."

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Batgirl # 4, Resurrection Man # 4, Demon Knights # 4, and The Shade # 3 today.

Resurrection Man is going a bit slow (way faster than Justice League though), but I am enjoying every bit of this book so far. I've never read the original series. I heard that DC is going to re-print them in an upcoming trade, so I might pick that up.

Batgirl has been very good so far. It's a bit more character driven. I know some readers get turned off by that stuff, (I'm guessing the thought is if there is no action it is kind of boring?) but I love it!

Demon Knights is a bit hard for me to get into. I only know about two of the characters, but this week's cover looked fantastic and it really grabbed my attention.

The Shade I picked up (along with Demon Knights) for my sister. From what she has told me, and she doesn't know anything about the characters involved in these two books, both are extremely enjoyable reads.

Batgirl has been very good so far. It's a bit more character driven. I know some readers get turned off by that stuff, (I'm guessing the thought is if there is no action it is kind of boring?) but I love it!

The Batgirl naysayers aren't upset because it's a character-driven book, but because the story, dialog, and characterization aren't that good.

The Batgirl naysayers aren't upset because it's a character-driven book, but because the story, dialog, and characterization aren't that good.

Amen.

And I freaking LOVE the Shade book. Definite trade buy if it keeps up like this.

Okay I can see some story issues. The villain is a little lame, but I'm enjoying it. Without sounding like a jerk, I think personal enjoyment is better than critical enjoyment. I'm honestly not trying to start anything here either.

When I covered the issue on Earth-2.net: The Show, that was me talking as a critic. However, as a fan of Batgirl, the book offended me. It took a once-strong character -- arguably one of the strongest characters in all of comics -- and made her a whimpering mess. Everything that made her strong -- and I don't mean her handicap -- was taken away, replaced by poor jokes, one-dimensional characterization, and zero motivation.

If you like it, great. Taste is subjective. But for me, as a longtime fan of the character, I won't touch the book until the current creative team is gone and I hear the new team makes Barbara as strong as she once was.

When I covered the issue on Earth-2.net: The Show, that was me talking as a critic. However, as a fan of Batgirl, the book offended me. It took a once-strong character -- arguably one of the strongest characters in all of comics -- and made her a whimpering mess. Everything that made her strong -- and I don't mean her handicap -- was taken away, replaced by poor jokes, one-dimensional characterization, and zero motivation.

If you like it, great. Taste is subjective. But for me, as a longtime fan of the character, I won't touch the book until the current creative team is gone and I hear the new team makes Barbara as strong as she once was.

I honestly couldn't agree more.

On the subject of Batgirl, have they explained how she was able to walk again, yet?

Nah. In DC's mind, if you want to know that above everything else you're just a naysayer who is also a big old meanie.

See, I'm not a long time reader of this character. I do like the character. Mostly due to exposure on the animated series, and a few one issue books. I am aware of The Killing Joke, but haven't read it yet. So I don't have a built in history with her, like you do. Which is more or less, what DC wants, if my understanding of the re-boot is correct.

I am going to listen to your thoughts on it in the podcast though. It is interesting to find out why people don't like things that others do like.

In Batgirl #4 we're once again fed the "miracle" line, then something vague about "a clinic in South Africa." That's it.

From a story point, I think it's Barbara's way of opening up to her roommate. From an editorial point, which is my own opinion here, I think it's vague enough to cover them in case they ever mandate an official reason for her walking again.

I did like this issue.

Love the bit where she saved those people the muggers.