dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's really sad.

Classily-written post, though. Very blunt and honest without ranting or demonizing. He also made a big note of the fact that this wasn't DC policy, just an exclusive experience with these two specific people. I hope he gets another chance at writing Static once Richards and McDaniel leave the book. The idea that someone who'd never read or watched Static had creative control over the comic is just insane.

That's really sad.

Classily-written post, though. Very blunt and honest without ranting or demonizing. He also made a big note of the fact that this wasn't DC policy, just an exclusive experience with these two specific people. I hope he gets another chance at writing Static once Richards and McDaniel leave the book. The idea that someone who'd never read or watched Static had creative control over the comic is just insane.

He's said he'd rather not write Static again, and quite frankly, I don't blame him.

The idea that someone who doesn't know the history kind of makes sense. You don't want a fanboy writing the comic, you need someone with an outsiders perspective on the character, and not someone who feels some loyalty to the person who created the character and continuing their story. But all his ideas being shot down has got to be demoralizing.

Anyone else read Justice League #5? I have a real problem with a few things:

- Victor literally minutes ago woke up as a cyborg. But he jumps right into battle with no hesitation and no freak out about suddenly being mostly machine?

- Hal is written like a total douchebag. He's over-confident, he's stupid and he seems totally unfamiliar with his ring's abilities, just using it as a battering ram again. I don't get it. I thought he was supposed to be an experienced Lantern at this point?

- Batman just randomly takes his mask off and reveals his secret identity to someone he doesn't know and doesn't even trust? What?!

- Barry is sweating and out of breath from running? I'm not sure if that's an interesting thing or incredibly stupid.

Anyone else read Justice League #5? I have a real problem with a few things:

- Victor literally minutes ago woke up as a cyborg. But he jumps right into battle with no hesitation and no freak out about suddenly being mostly machine?

- Hal is written like a total douchebag. He's over-confident, he's stupid and he seems totally unfamiliar with his ring's abilities, just using it as a battering ram again. I don't get it. I thought he was supposed to be an experienced Lantern at this point?

- Batman just randomly takes his mask off and reveals his secret identity to someone he doesn't know and doesn't even trust? What?!

- Barry is sweating and out of breath from running? I'm not sure if that's an interesting thing or incredibly stupid.

-He's freaking out a lot; he did most of that in the last issue. But he's not gonna sit there in the burning rubble and cry forever.

-This is right after GL: Secret Origin, so Hal's not experienced in the slightest.

-He takes his mask off (A) to calm down Hal by saying "hey, you and I are the only two normal humans here," and (B) he also takes off his cape and the symbol on his chest. To the flying parademons, he looks like any other human ripe for snatching and taking back to Apokolips, which is exactly what Bruce wanted to happen.

-It's implied that Barry's never had to run that fast before (almost outrunning light), and his powers are new. The Speed Force isn't something that doesn't take any effort; the Flashes have always needed to exert some energy.

True. It's been establishes pre-Flashpoint that they had stupid insane metabolisms requiring tons of eating. Part of the reason that I've never been a fan of a very muscular Flash.

I thought that was just Wally? And yeah, runners are generally incredibly skinny, so a muscular runner wouldn't make much sense to me either, plus getting hit 1,000 times in 3 seconds by light taps probably will hurt a lot more than getting one very violent punch in the same amount of time.

All the Flashes need sustenance. Barry should need the most of all, since he literally generates the Speed Force.

I think I always thought of Flash's physique being like a baseball player's. Runners generally keep their weight down so they can go faster, but Flash does a little bit more than just run, and I doubt his body weight is really holding him back that much.

I tend to think almost any hero should just be muscular and lean, that's how actual athletes look. The only profession someone with a superhero body is suitable for is bodybuilding. Look al sprinters like Dwain Chambers, the guy is ripped. You'll find the same with most top-grade sprinters. Unfortunatly comics are chiefly aesthetic, so everyone looks like some cartoonish idea of the human form

True. It's been establishes pre-Flashpoint that they had stupid insane metabolisms requiring tons of eating. Part of the reason that I've never been a fan of a very muscular Flash.

I would mention that of all actual athletes top grade sprinters are likely to be amongst the most ripped, right next to gymnasts. Both of which qualify as descriptions of about half of modern heroes.

I tend to think almost any hero should just be muscular and lean, that's how actual athletes look. The only profession someone with a superhero body is suitable for is bodybuilding. Look al sprinters like Dwain Chambers, the guy is ripped. You'll find the same with most top-grade sprinters. Unfortunatly comics are chiefly aesthetic, so everyone looks like some cartoonish idea of the human form

That was the case for the longest time. For years, heroes were solid but not Schwarzenegger-huge. Buscema drew Conan like a bodybuilder, but that made sense And the Hulk was SUPPOSED to be ripped, which again, made sense. It was really the 80s, when that type of actor (Arnold, Stallone, etc) came into vogue that you really started to see heroes bulked up like steroid cases. Look at Superman; pre-Crisis he was always muscular but not absurdly so; then when Byrne took over in 1986 he was fucking enormous. My all time favorite Batman artist was Aparo, and he drew Batman as solid, muscular, and lean, like someone who could belivably be an athelete.

I think part of what changed was the fact that artists (notably John Byrne) decided to give their heroes more physical mass in order to make them physically reflect their power level, regardless of the pseudo-science that said they didn't need that.

When I see the slimmer Silver-Age Superman punch someone, I kinda go "eh, whatever." But whenever Post-Crisis Superman punches somebody, it's like "DAMN."

If we trully wanted to reflect reality, Kyle Rayner shouldn't be as ripped as he is. They guy is an artist by trade so very thin or with a little around the stomach. The other Earth GLs I can see being bulked up. John was a Marine, Hal was Air Force as well as being a man whore that would put Kirk to shame, Guy was a football player. That said, these are comics. If I expected absolute realism then half the female heroes would retire at 30 because their backs broke supporting their chests.