DC reboot

dc20willsave

We probably should have done this earlier, but are we taking bets on how long it takes for them to revert to the old continuity/introduce a classic version of a character? I feel like 5 years from now the big event will be another Crisis where the old pre-flashpoint heroes team with their newer counterparts (don't care if they technically never existed, they'll get around that).

I've said it before but nothing about this reboot improved DC. GL barely acknowledges the shift and Batman didn't need it either. Aquaman could have been brought back as a solo title just as it is without the reboot. I've stuck with the books that didn't change, not the ones that did.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus they've COMPLETELY ditched Wally. Seriously, the guy was the Flash for around a quarter of a century and now he isn't just not featured, his time as Flash and Kid Flash never happened. What's DC thinking, that they need to draw back the pre-80's fans with Barry Allen because comics aren't big in the 10-30 year-old range?

Isn't it technically the same Barry, too?

Yes, and yes to the other people, but DC found a way around it all.

At the end of Flashpoint, Barry told Bruce all about the crazy world of Flashpoint, but he was slowly forgetting the world of Flashpoint, and what caused it, but was still having the memories of being with his mother from the Flashpoint timeline. So, he thinks everything was fine, and all his memories of the pre-flashpoint universe were replaced with DCnU memories. He also was allowed to keep the memories of being with his mother from Flashpoint, so he didn't think there was any need to pry any further, or think anything was wrong with the world. It's a cop out, but it makes sense.

They may be the same people from before Flashpoint, but all there memories were replaced with DCnU memories, so they think everything is as it should be.

Yeah, all the current DC characters are the same ones from before, they've just been altered.

What's DC thinking, that they need to draw back the pre-80's fans with Barry Allen because comics aren't big in the 10-30 year-old range?

If you look back at Crisis on Infinite Earths, Marv Wolfman specifically says in the introduction for the collected trade/hardcover that the plan all along was to leave Barry alone for a long while, but bring him back after 20 years or so. Barry's return in Final Crisis was 22 years later, so that fits.

DC's explained the idea as being that every new comic-reading generation will have "their" Flash. Fans were pissed at losing Barry in 86, too (as well as losing nearly ALL of their continuity, much like has happened with the DCnU). Now we have a new version of Barry Allen, who, for all intents and purposes, really is a new character.

Here's a question:

Does Wally exist now? He probably does, in his pre-Kid Flash teenager form. So maybe things'll get shifted around and Wally will become the new Kid Flash?

According to Dan Didio, a prominent character is coming out of the closet. From the sounds of it, it sounds like it's a character who hasn't shown up yet in the New 52. I'm just going to go ahead and guess New-52 Wally is gay. Only really prominent character I can think of who hasn't shown up yet post-Flashpoint.

If I've learned anything from the reboot, it's that it involved a powerful wave energy that induced pre-emptive divorces. That said, my first guess would have been either Tim Drake but he's obviously already been introduced, or Power Girl but that hair is a little too obvious.Though Earth-2 Hawkgirl could be a possibility.

DC's explained the idea as being that every new comic-reading generation will have "their" Flash. Fans were pissed at losing Barry in 86, too (as well as losing nearly ALL of their continuity, much like has happened with the DCnU). Now we have a new version of Barry Allen, who, for all intents and purposes, really is a new character.

I don't mind losing Wally if losing him means some thing and elevates someone else like Bart (although we saw how that went). But in this case they just brought Barry back for nothing, he just replaced Wally and Wally just faded into the background. When Barry died it was a big deal, Wally just got zero respect from the DC bigwigs.