DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See that's just weird because Alan Scott was already a significant player in the this area because his son Obsidian is gay, and Alan had to come around to accepting that. So they're basically taking one pre-existing pro-gay storyline and erasing it in favour of another. What a huge leap forward for DC!

I've been getting a Heroes Reborn vibe since day one, mostly because of Lee, Liefeld, and Harras.

As for Batman Annual #1, I loved the new origin. I hope to record an episode of The Show covering that and the new Batman, Inc. #1.

I just read it. I'm a diehard fan of Mr. Freeze as portrayed in BTAS (he's my second-favorite Batman villain overall) and I thought the story was pretty badass.

It takes the tragedy out of Freeze, which I think is really, really foolish.

I was a well done story, and to be honest even though they included the animated origin into the comics, Freeze was never portrayed to be as cold (pardon the pun) or unemotional as he was in the DCAU. He was always a yelling, angry SOB. So part of me does like that he's made less sympathetic.

I just think having that level of sympathy is the one thing that kept Freeze from being another generic Ice villain. I actually wanted to see him cure Nora, and try to have some normal life, even though I knew he never would. With that gone, he's just Captain Cold in a domed helmet.

It takes the tragedy out of Freeze, which I think is really, really foolish.

It makes him less sympathetic, yes, but this new twisted dark version is a good alternate take. Basically, Freeze is so evil that in his mind he thinks he's the sympathetic almost-antihero from the DCAU.

I dunno, Paul Dini gave Freeze the perfect origin. Even Batman sympathized with him, because if he could, he would have done the same thing for his parents. That shared obessesion allowed Bruce to support Freeze's ends, even if the means were morally suspect. The new origin, while told well, removes the one thing that made Freeze a worthwhile villian and just turned him into a nutjob stalker. I'm trying to be open to change, but this one seems both uneeded and detrimental.

If I were to rank the two of them the BTAS origin is stronger. However it didn't lead to any great stories to follow, in fact it overpowered later stories with Freeze, it was hard to make him significant. Maybe this tweak will lead to some inspiration regarding trying to tell fresh stories with the guy.

Quit complaining about it!

I'm just happy that Batman finally has a villain with a dark and twisted personality!

LOL

Ultimately I think Snyder wrote a solid story. However it is in conjunction with the depressing, almost hatefully cynical DC that has butchered and tortured their characters for nearly ten years now to where everybody has a tragic origin or background. Freeze always did too, but stealing him of his sympathy makes him more hateful and lost in the flow of hateful Batman villains.

The main gist coming out of the media coverage is that Robinson made the choice is because Obsidian was wiped from continuity due to this being a younger Justice Society. Once again, I have no problem with that, especially since I can already see from the couple of preview pages that they're handling this respectfully.