DC reboot

dc20willsave

While that comic is surprisingly touching, I find it a little logically flawed.

What if they brought back Roy Harper's arm? Does that mean that it's insulting to real-life amputees?

What if they erased the Cry for Justice storyline, which most agree is a terrible story that only hurt the DCU at large? Would that be too insensitive to people who'd lost children like Roy lost his daughter?

No. The story is the story. The entire point of a reboot is to reposition the characters so they're at their best for storytelling. If DC's got a plan for why Barbara is better off not being paralyzed, then let's hear it and read it. Not whine because it's not the same as we've been reading and we don't know any different.

There's a difference between twenty years of character and two awful mini-series from last year.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The effect is the same. Batman went through 20 years of smiling gleefully at his villains as he punched them out while Robin wore green panties. Barry Allen was dead for 20 years.

Since it's a reboot, they can change whatever it takes to make the story ultimately better.

That's likely because the stories haven't been published yet. People bitched in 86 when the post-Crisis reboot happened, but the entire DCU benefitted from it.

A fair point of course, we won't know what the books are like until we read them. But this relaunch seems to be more sales driven rather than story driven as Crisis was.

Newest batch:

All-Star Western

Writing: Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti

Art: Morita

Blackhawks

Writing: Mike Costa

Art: Ken Lashley

Deathstroke

Writing: Kyle Higgins

Art: Joe Bennett and Art Thibert

Grifter

Writing: Nathan Edmondson

Art: CAFU and BIT

OMAC

Writing: Dan DiDio and Keith Giffen

Art: Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish

Sgt Rock And The Men Of War

Writing: Ivan Brandon

Art: Tom Derenick.

Stormwatch

Writing: Paul Cornell

Art: Miguel Sepulveda

Thought I'd update my list of books I'll try:

First storyline

Batwing

Demon Knights

Nightwing

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Resurrection Man

Stormwatch

Swamp Thing

First issue

Deathstroke

Grifter

Justice League

Wonder Woman

I wonder if this new Stormwatch book will acknowledge the relationship between Midnighter and Apollo. If it doesn't, DC will take a lot of heat for not only rebooting handicaps, but also homosexuality.

That's likely because the stories haven't been published yet. People bitched in 86 when the post-Crisis reboot happened, but the entire DCU benefitted from it.

(Though I'm with you on the Titans costumes. Eeesh.)

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're really Dan DiDio, aren't you?

:smilewinkgrin:

Apollo and Midnighter are OUT as per Cornell's blog. No worries there. Martian Manhunter appears to be on the team as well.

I really wanted to be a grump about this but Stormwatch is probably the only title I'll grab the first issue of.

Everything else in trade.

Bleeding Cool has the covers for Superman #1, Supergirl #1, and Superboy #1.

I really dig the new Supergirl outfit, and it looks like Superboy is a cyborg.

The Superman costume, though, is trying too hard to be recognizable, while being hip at the same time. I mean, those boots are horrible and do not mesh at all with the rest of the design.

EDIT: Regarding Supergirl's lack of pants, I can go either way. It's fine as is, but if they recolor the flesh blue (to give her pants) it will still work for me.

Edited by The Master

Word around the web is that there will be an imprint (?) called Edge. Two of those titles are Blue Beetle (by Tony Bedard and Ig Guara) and Suicide Squad (by Adam Glass and artist Marco Rudy).

By the way, Jaime Reyes is Blue Beetle and Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and King Shark are on the Suicide Squad!

1307649631.jpg

SuicideSquad_cover_02.jpg

By the way, this newest announcement is exactly what I want from the reboot: fresh takes and faces on old ideas / characters.

The comic book work of Adam Glass is limited to Deadpool books and Luka Cage Noir, the latter of which I think I liked. Marco Rudy is probably best known for fill-in work on Final Crisis, After the Cape, and the recent Lex Luthor / Darkseid story in Action Comics Annual #13. And Ig Guara has pretty much worked exclusively on the Pet Avengers comics thus far. These are the new voices I was calling for, and I praise DC for this.