Ross Hughes Colors

RHughes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! I can't tell you how freaking excited I am to be able to show this now! Any comic fan that grew up in the 80's was probably a HUGE fan of the New Teen Titans. Let's face it, Marv Wolfman and George Perez dominated DC comics with New Teen Titans in much the same way that Chris Claremont and John Byrne dominated Marvel with the X-Men. The Judas Contract is still a must read for anyone interested in comics in my opinion.

So when Hi-Fi sent me pages to color for New Teen Titans: Games, by none other than Wolfman and Perez, I literally had to take a few minutes to get over my excitement before I opened the files. Talk about being nervous. George Perez has always been one of my idols in comics and the Titans were IT for me, so to have the opportunity to work on these pages was like stepping back into my childhood and fulfilling a life-goal all in one shot.

Ironically, much like the first issue of Justice League International (which was the only re-launch book I was a part of), I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of this book yet. I'm anxiously waiting on a phone call from my LCS for both. :) Since I don't have a copy yet, I'm not entirely sure what color the giant robot fighting Cyborg turned out to be. I initially went with a green color, but was told later on that they wanted it to be white. The last I heard they were still debating it since it was kind of difficult to tell where the robot ended and Cyborg began since they were essentially supposed to be the same color.

TG_84_450_RH.jpg

TG_88_450_RH.jpg

TG_98_450_RH.jpg

TG_99_450_RH.jpg

TG_102_450_RH.jpg

TG_103_450_RH.jpg

Holy shit! I really can't wait to get Games in my hands now. That looks amazing Ross! Congrats on that gig!

Wolfman/Perez is second only to Wolfman/Colan in that era. The fact that New Teen Titans and Night Force were coming out at the same time still blows my mind to this day.

Thanks guys! I'm hopefully just getting started!

So it was just announced that Rob Liefeld is resurrecting Extreme Studios and among the titles being offered up will be Supreme! Erik Larsen will be doing the breakdowns with my buddy Cory Hamscher being the regular penciller/inker on the series. Fans of the Allen Moore written Supreme era will be in for a treat as the first story will be an unused Moore script. This particular piece is a pin-up that will be used in the book and will also be available as a print at Mid-Ohio. Swing by Cory's table and be sure to pick one up! Tell him Ross sent you. :)

Lines by Cory Hamscher

Colors by me

SUPREME2011_v2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Colored this for Michael Babinski. Truth be told, I had my eye on this one since the day Mikey posted it on his Deviant Art page, so I was doubly excited that he wanted to commission me to color it for him. I've been wanting to break away from the cut and brush style that I've been relying on lately and do something a little more freehand. I don't think I've done one like this since I worked on Fallen Justice years ago. I was really pleased with the way this one turned out.

C&C's are heartily encouraged. :)

Pencils by Cary Nord

Inks by Michael Babinski

Colors by me

StarWarsTales.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Color commission for Michael Babinski.

I loved MOTU as a kid, so it was pretty easy for me to want to color this bad-ass version of Trapjaw. I don't know what Mattel was thinking with his color scheme though. LOL

C&C's are welcome!

Pencils by Carlo Pagulayan

Inks by Michael Babinski

Trapjaw.jpg

• 2 months later...

Next month will mark the relaunch of Supreme from Image Comics. Art will feature breakdowns by Erik Larsen and finishes and inks by Cory Hamscher. Cory and I have been getting together on some projects recently and he asked me to color his version of the variant covers they'll be doing. The first few issues will feature covers by Erik, Rob Liefeld, and Cory before they settle in and just do one cover. Cory and I are treating it like a competition and we REALLY want to win. ;)

Be sure to pick up our cover when you do your shopping. Remember, a vote for Cory is a vote for America!!! And puppies!

C&C's are always welcome and appreciated.

From Supreme #63

SUPREME2011_revised.jpg

And from Supreme #64

supreme064_cover600.jpg

Unfortunately, no. Steve Oliff is coloring the interiors for the time being. I'm angling for the job though whenever Steve decides to move on. :) Cory actually wants me on the book, but Oliff is bigger name and Erik Larsen makes that call. All I can do is keep churning out great art with Cory and wait for him to notice. ;)

FINAL revision. I hope. Cory and I went back and forth on the skin tones for a couple days. So what we have here is a healthier looking Supreme. Also made a couple other minor tweaks. But we're calling this puppy done.

As a stand-alone piece, the green background can't be beat, but the gold Supreme title is just going to jump off the blue background in print, so I can dig this one too.

supreme064_COVER_HAMSCHER.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this page previewed on Jon Malin's twitter feed, so it should be okay to show the colors. I'll be coloring Image Comics revival of Youngblood. Issue #71 hits the stands this May!!! #71 will feature art by Jon and myself, as well as pages done by Rob Liefeld and Matt Yackey, before Jon and I take over exclusively in issue #72. Jon's art is so sleek and bad-a$$ and this book is going to be just what Youngblood fans want to see.

Lines by Jon Malin

YB7307.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Supreme #63 goes on sale tomorrow!!!!! (Wednesday) Be sure to head out to your LCS and pick up a copy or 3!!! There will be three variant covers to the issue. One by Rob Liefeld, one by Erik Larsen, and one by Cory Hamscher (featuring colors by yours truly)!!!!

Now, I don't want to influence your decision, but who wouldn't want to own this little batch of awesome?

SUPREME2011_revised.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another collaboration between myself and Cory Hamscher. Glad I was finally able to color something I'm allowed to post. I'm going through withdrawals. :)

This will be made available as a print. Contact me if you're interested in getting one!

Lines by Cory Hamscher

Colors by Me

SPAWN2012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this will be the last cover that Cory and I will do for the Supreme series for a little while, so we really wanted to make it special. The second I saw the rough sketch, I knew this thing was going to be awesome.

I tried a slightly different technique with this one and it really brought out some vibrant color so I'm definitely going to be playing around with it a bit more to see how it works on other things.

Lines by Cory Hamscher

Colors by me

C&C's are encouraged!

supreme065_cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...