Star Trek or The Next Generation

I've been wanting to watch a Star Trek series for a long time and I was debating on either watching the original series or The Next Generation. So naturally, I came here. Which one is better? Oh, and if there is any continuity between the shows. One more thing. Kirk or Picard?

And most of the threads I post will be comparing things just so you know.

I've been wanting to watch a Star Trek series for a long time and I was debating on either watching the original series or The Next Generation. So naturally, I came here. Which one is better?

They're both entirely different; comparing them is difficult. TOS is silly 60s fun, with a plenty of very well-written and groundbreaking science fiction stories.

TNG, on the other hand, has much, MUCH more emphasis on character and drama. There's long arcs and subplots in TNG that TOS never even dreamed of. Caveat, though: TNG is, arguably, pretty bad in its first season or two, mostly because it's retreading the exact same ground as TOS without finding its own identity. I'd still recommend watching those two seasons anyway, but if you find yourself not liking it, don't judge the entire series based on those.

Really, you can watch either series first, or go back and forth between them at the same time if you like. It's only once you get into Deep Space Nine and Voyager that you have to be a little careful about what you've seen in what order.

Oh, and if there is any continuity between the shows.

Yes, though there's nothing to worry about spoiler-wise. You can watch either of them in any order.

Kirk or Picard?

They're about even. Foils for each other, basically.

Honestly, as much as I like both, Deep Space 9 is far and above the better series. It takes the character development of TNG and creates a character driven drama set in space. We get a good idea that the awesome world whereever thing is perfect that we're shown in the previous Treks is something of a sham. Not only that but we don't get the more silly episodes of TOS and there aren't the really eww episodes of early TNG. Honestly, I'd say DS9 is the most solid thing in the entire Franchise with the exception of Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home, and First Contact

Honestly, I know people hate the series, but I'd say Season 3 of Enterprise is very solid as well. The Xindi storyline kept the season focused, the episodes really felt like they mattered, and pretty much all of the main characters got great character development.

I've heard really great and valid arguments for why DS9, TNG, and TOS are each "the best" Trek series. It's really gonna come down to your viewpoint. Each series is "the best" at doing its own thing; it's when the series start to overlap that problems start happening.

Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 are excellent. I'd say they're in the top seasons of the entire franchise, actually.

TOS is a product of it's time, but there are individual stories worth seeking out- City of the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror, Arena (worth it for later comparisons with TNG episode Darmok), Space Seed, Amok Time, Mirror Mirror, and The Trouble with Tribbles. It's much tougher if you're actually going to go through everything because there is a lot of crap, especially by the time you hit the third season.

TNG is far from perfect either though. The first two seasons barring the odd exception are pretty poor. As a rule of thumb it's best to check out season 3 onward, that's when the show starts to get really worthwhile. That's where I'd start if I were you. Don't worry about continuity, it's really quite episodic and you'll pick up on anything you don't instantly know.

Will's right though, DS9 is clearly the best show overall. Don't watch Voyager, it's complete bullshit.

Okay, then it was an awful epilogue. I mean, even the cast hated it.

True enough.

Bah. I love Voyager. Granted, I love all the Trek shows, but I really do think that Voyager is great in its own corner of the Trek galaxy. Come to think of it, here's how it breaks down:

TOS: Silly 60s-era sci-fi with some really remarkable jems sprinkled throughout. Good chemistry between the 3 leads.

TNG: More modern sci-fi, with a varying level of drama (anywhere from "decent" to "magnificent") and a great ensemble cast. It's probably the most "fun" of the modern Trek shows.

DS9: Starts off as a TNG clone; ends up being en epic war drama. Good long-form character development.

VOY: Basically, TNG with a female captain and a greater emphasis on the dangers of unknown space. Has some of the most epic moments in the TNG era.

ENT: Basically a hybrid of NASA with Trek. Starts off slow, then builds up greatly in the latter two seasons. Probably the most realistic of the Trek shows, if also the most boring (initially).

I've actually seen the majority of Voyager, and it says a lot about my opinion of it that it's the only Star Trek Series I've never made an effort to complete. Too many episodes were just direct copies of TNG stories, and I never really took a liking to any of the characters outside the Doctor, and occasionally Seven. There's some good stuff in there, Scorpion, Year of Hell and Timeless stand out, but for the most part I couldn't get along with it anywhere near as well as TNG or DS9.

I've actually seen the majority of Voyager, and it says a lot about my opinion of it that it's the only Star Trek Series I've never made an effort to complete.

That was actually how I felt about most of TOS and a good chunk of DS9. Maybe the early ENT episodes as well. I was constantly excited to continue watching Voyager.

I think most of the non-TNG series vary a bit by personal opinion/preference.

I've actually seen the majority of Voyager, and it says a lot about my opinion of it that it's the only Star Trek Series I've never made an effort to complete.

That was actually how I felt about most of TOS and a good chunk of DS9. Maybe the early ENT episodes as well. I was constantly excited to continue watching Voyager.

I think most of the non-TNG series vary a bit by personal opinion/preference.

No, I'm right and you're wrong. :P

Apples and oranges. They're two different shows doing two different things. TOS is more action-oriented and asskicking, TNG is more cerebral and "what if?" They both have things to recommend to them, they both have drop dead, stone cold CLASSIC episodes, and they both have low periods (TNG's Season One vs. TOS's Season Three).

And Kirk and Picard are both made of awesome, but for very different reasons. Kirk will shoot you in the face and go down on your girlfriend before you've even hit the ground. Picard oozes cool, loves discovering new things, and is utterly, totally TERRIFIED of Troi's mom, which is HILARIOUS.

Kirk will shoot you in the face and go down on your girlfriend before you've even hit the ground.

I'm not sure Kirk is sensitive enough to even consider going down on anyone. Picard, on the other hand, he's all about sensitivity.

I guess I'll put this here: My Top 10 TOS Episodes (in no particular order)

The City on the Edge of Forever

Amok Time

Where No Man Has Gone Before

The Trouble with Tribbles

Mirror, Mirror

Space Seed

Return to Tomorrow

Requiem for Methuselah

The Menagerie (parts 1 & 2)

Errand of Mercy