Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marvel does this every couple of years. They get a ton of good will for releasing new titles that try something new/star POC characters/are written by exciting new writers and artists. Then they cancel then a year later to outrage only to repeat the cycle later. Meanwhile, Avengers comes out 4 times a month.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently picked up the first three volumes of the Thunderbolts. I read the first few issues way back in 1997, but didn't follow it after that. The third volume of the trade features a crossover with the Avengers, and throughout the crossover Iron Man is in his classic red and gold armor from the 1970's and 1980's. I had no idea why he was not in any of his more recent armors, and instead was in the very outdated (by Marvel standards) armor.

This bugged me, so I got online and did some research. He went back to an older armor because his newest armor had become sentient. So here's the point. Include a recap box, especially in a trade paperback.

"Hey true believers! Iron Man is in his classic armor because his new armor became sentient and tried to kill him. He downgraded to an armor with a less sophisticated operating system so that does not happen again."

There. That was easy. Then, when someone is reading your collection 18 years later, they are not completely confused and have to go spend an hour on Google trying to figure out what is going on. Or, of someone only reads the Thunderbolts in 2000, they won't be completely confused either.

What's funny is, as I was reading the opening of your post, I was thinking, Oh yeah! That was when his armor came to life and tried to kill him. Not sure how or why I remembered that. If I recall, I only read two or three issues of that Iron Man run.

Your suggestion would be an interesting practice, especially with older collections. It's strange to think, but comic book writing has changed so much in the last 20 years. Even in 1998 we weren't in the practice of writing-for-the-trade, so some of those older collections are going to be confusing without a little backstory.

20 hours ago, The Master said:

What's funny is, as I was reading the opening of your post, I was thinking, Oh yeah! That was when his armor came to life and tried to kill him. Not sure how or why I remembered that.

When  I was looking it up, I remembered reading about that story back in the day. I either didn't know that it made him switch back to the classic red and gold or I didn't remember that aspect of it.

There are also two Hank Pyms in that story, because his split personality manifested itself as an entirely new body. I had to Google that one too. That I did not remember at all.

• 1 month later...

So, X-Men: Gold #30 is coming out this week, and it features the wedding of Kitty and Colossus.

But, not really.

Something happens that will cause their wedding to not take place; instead, Rogue and Gambit will wed. This will lead to a new series called Mr. and Mrs. X, with a creative team of Kelly Thompson and Oscar Bazaldua.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, The Master said:

Marvel just announced a new five-issue Spider-Man miniseries written by JJ Abrams and his son, Henry, with art by Sara Pichelli. All that's known thus far is that it will feature a new villain.

I hate everything about this post, save for Sara Pichelli of whom I have no opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought issue one of House of X was pretty cool personally. IDK how closely I'll be following the books from here on in, especially considering several characters like Wolverine and Jean Grey will be on multiple teams (I hate that shit), but I like that we're in a new era. I totally missed when the O5 X-Men finally returned to their timelines.

I am absolutely loving HoX and PoX. I'm a person who very rarely cares about art in comics unless when it's really bad. This is a case where I noticed it consistently. Silva is doing phenomenal work! Case in point: facial expressions. We have a character like Nimrod, a freaking robot, and he looks absolutely giddy in the art work at one point and it made me laugh, even if it was more than a little horrifying since he's a freaking Sentinel. Writing wise, yeah, it's a lot of set-up but then, this is Hickman. Hell, I fully expect this to still somehow tie into his Fantastic Four run just because Hickman is the only person other than Claremont that I feel would pull such an insane stunt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thought this thread on Twitter by @The Master was good.

I didn't like Gen X Peter Parker, and I am Gen X. Then again, I was an old man when I was 20. 🙂

I prefer Boomer Peter, but only in the context of him being a teen or twenty something in the classic stories of the 60's and 70's. Boomer Peter was fun then, but the lingo would stick out like a sore thumb now.

The two characters who must never be changed are Captain America and Magneto.

Cap is obvious, but Magneto's status as a Holocaust survivor is a critical element of his character. Yes, it makes him old, but you can argue that his powers cause his body to age very slowly. Or maybe some Nazi doctor performed experiments on him that interacted with his powers and kept him young.