Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

Spider-Man's new costume.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's funny Marvel. Now show the real one, will you? The one that doesn't look like the love child of Red Hood and The Road Warrior.

Wait, that is the real one?

Well, damn.

Just... damn.

It'll be nice for a kids toy. But, I don't believe it's going to be a longterm costume, just for the storyline, and for some attention, some dwindling attention every time they come out with a new Spider-Man costume every year.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it's because I love Jason Todd's "Under the Hood" costume, but I really dig what we've seen of this Spider-Man outfit. Of course it will be for this storyline only, but who cares? If it makes sense for Peter to wear it in the story, then so be it. Sometimes he cannot don the classic costume; sometimes he needs armor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of #175, Thunderbolts will become Dark Avengers.

It's clear why Marvel is doing this, but it's a poor move. If any Avengers comic is going to feature darker characters, it should be Secret Avengers. Even if they drop the villains-seeking-redemption aspect of Thunderbolts, why do we need a covert team of Avengers and a book presumably filled with former and / or current villains masquerading as and / or trying to be heroes? Mix the two into one book.

"Well Franken-Castle didn't go over that well, let's try another gimmick!" Doh.

Marvel sticking Avengers on anything that moves is just going to devalue the brand long term. The Avengers are Marvels nWo at this point, so many members it's impossible to keep straight and the label means nothing. Expect to see the Avengers Wolfpac and Black & Silver any day now.

I don't buy monthly comics much anymore, but I'm damn sure going to give that a flip through. At best, it'll be a fun and incredibly stupid comic, at worst, it'll be a fun train wreck to look at.

Marvel sticking Avengers on anything that moves is just going to devalue the brand long term. The Avengers are Marvels nWo at this point, so many members it's impossible to keep straight and the label means nothing. Expect to see the Avengers Wolfpac and Black & Silver any day now.

I personally can't wait for Iron Man to give Captain America the fingerpoke of doom.

On another topic, I just started the first Brubaker Daredevil trade omnibus that just came up. Just when I thought Murdock's life couldn't get any more fucked up after Bendis, Brubaker pulls out more.

Hmm. I like the Ed McGuiness version although the double gold strip seem like extra detail, as do the buttons on the gloves. The sash is ok as tribute to her own history. I hate the mask. Sorry, but masks like that don't work with long hair, I don't care if it's traditional kree-style. She could either get short hair (which she look like she has in the other pics) or go with her classic domino mask. It's a lot less daft than her old costume I'll give her that, but something tells me that reducing her cheesecake factor won't help Marvel if they want to make her a serious character sales-wise. I'm fine with her being Captain Marvel and having an outfit that honours that though. Doesn't do much for that legacy if Dexter Soy folds the Captain Marvel symbol up and crushes it between her boobs. If a female superhero needs a chest symbol you have to draw her like Ed does or (and here's a revelation) like this-

Ms_Marvel_39.jpg

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

I was thinking the same. I was also wondering why Ms Marvel was getting a New DCU style makeover when it's supposed to be the same character. Her costume looks very much in that mould and the face is very different to most recent depictions. It's not a positive when Marvel artists have a strong hold on what all their male characters look like but suddenly lose the plot when dealing with the supposed no 1 woman in that company.

I don't really get these new looks that DC and Marvel seem to think are so great with new costumes. I kind of wonder if they just don't have extremely good designers in the higher-up positions. Yes, Jim Lee is a great artist, but his original designs are a little meh. Alex Ross, on the other hand, is the kind of guy you want doing redesigns, since he really gets the concept of what makes a suit work (like with his design for Bucky-Cap).