That One Sour Note....

slothian

I was thinking earlier today about whether to bulk up my LOVEFiLM queue with Season 2 of Weeds. I did very much like the first season, but I realised that I utterly despised the eldest son character, and as such would give me more time to cool off on his character before picking it up.

Much like how I couldn't get over the Spritle character in the Speed Racer movie, and Katie Holmes' Rachel Dawes stopped Batman Begins from being flawless (in my opinion), what films/movies would you love if it weren't for one thing? Originally I was just looking at bad characters, but it could easily apply to an off moment as well. (Keep as unspoilerific as possible, please!)

Chasing Amy. My well-publicized annoyance with Kevin Smith not withstanding, I loved this movie until the very end, when Ben Affleck decided the only logical move was to have a three-way with Joey Adams and Jason Lee and that would solve all his problems. It smacked of a writer with very little idea of how to write relationships and destroyed the movie for me.

Up until that ending, Kate was the only thing I consistently hated about Lost.

Rose ruined a majority of my enjoyment of that first series of Nu Who.

Kochanski killed Red Dwarf pretty much single-handedly.

Justin showing up in Power Rangers Turbo was right around the time I stopped watching.

Superman II - A story about love and sacrifice... until he just somehow gets his powers back.

The fact that I spent six months hunting viral story clues for Cloverfield that were never mentioned in the movie itself always bothered me.

General list of movies I enjoyed up until the ending - I Am Legend, High Tension, Oldboy, Third Matrix movie, a lot of horror movies.

Hang on let me rephrase that before someone else can:

Take Rob Schneider out of any movie, and I think you have a watchable movie.

Oh come on, at least give him this one:

schnedier-carrot.png

I'll agree with you about Judge Dredd though - that has gradually become one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies.

I've seen so many films that just sort of end, and make me question my enjoyment of the films. Some of the Coen brothers movies do this for me. For example, Fargo, here you have a nice tense movie, with several different threads going on, that somehow link, but they don't. You have William H Macy being awesome and then, the policewoman just sort of finds the killer and solves the case. It was so good up until then. No country for old men suffers the same fate, it's so slow paced and tense, but then it just sort of rushes to a conclusion. (I need to rewatch it to see if it was just problems with first watching it)

Six Feet Under series 5 builds up so strongly, and becomes so dark, but then it just sort of comes to a conclusion, and in that rush, it decides to just rush Nate's wife getting over his infidelity and people getting on with their lives, and then they are all showed dying over the years.

21 recently did this, instead of having an interesting idea, it treads the same ground as Ocean's Eleven and so many other films with the "The scene carried on after you left, and we set up a sting on the bad guy" type thing, that usually just feels cheap and like they planned something longer.

American History X, as much as Dubs not wanting me to bring this up, is a great film, but those last five-ten minutes are so out of left field, and the characters taking such a strange turn, I couldn't say the film was as great as it should have been.

Oh, and My Name is Earl had a giant fuck you ending to everyone, when they knew the show would be cancelled, they decided to drop a bombshell cliffhanger, so's that, what few fans they had left who watched the show, felt like they were ripped off.

The Number 23 is another film that starts off quite interesting, before taking a turn for the worst twenty minutes before the ending and just being a terrible film. How many people do you hear talking abouy how great The Number 23 is? Exactly.

Justin showing up in Power Rangers Turbo was right around the time I stopped watching.

I lasted up until the new team showed up, pulling such a giant team changing twist made me not give two fucks about Power Rangers till Dino Thunder, and I left quite soon again after that.

No country for old men suffers the same fate, it's so slow paced and tense, but then it just sort of rushes to a conclusion.

Thank you! I hate how Josh Brolin's character is pushed aside so Tommy Lee Jones' can make some sort of philosophical point.

I love Battlestar Galactica. It might be my favorite show of the last ten years. That said, it has some very sour notes. In the original mini-series, the little kid. Thanfully, the producers noticed their mistake and nipped that in the bud. My other sour note is the Starbuck/Apollo romance that gets forced on us after they have next to no chemistry which just ends up making Starbuck look like an utter bitch.

On Glee, my sour note is Rachel. She's a main character but dammit, she's annoying and yes, the writer's make jokes about it now but that doesn't change that she's still annoying. Instead of making jokes, do something about it.

Things Change. The "finale" of Teen Titans.

Bingo.

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

In Avatar: The Last Airbender, the McGuffin of

Zuko's mom. They constantly reference her and show flashbacks of her in Season 3 and all it leads to is an unanswered question.

That's a good one too. I never liked that dangling issue.

Joshua the dog boy is the Jar Jar Binks of Dark Angel. Near ruins season 2.

2joshua.jpg

Screw you, you're not Ron Perlman and you'll never be Ron Perlman.

No country for old men suffers the same fate, it's so slow paced and tense, but then it just sort of rushes to a conclusion.

Thank you! I hate how Josh Brolin's character is pushed aside so Tommy Lee Jones' can make some sort of philosophical point.

I thought that was kinds part of it's genius.