Blade Runner Prequel, Sequel, or Remake

Koete

EXCLUSIVE: After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side. They got control of the franchise earlier this year, but it's a whole different ballgame with Scott at the helm.

Source

tumblr_lmtq4f71DJ1qdusba.gif

• 8 months later...

I'd still be against this if Prometheus didn't look so fucking great. As it is just the trailers for that have restored my faith in Scott and his newfound commitment to sci-fi. Scott's a sporatically inspirational film maker, he has great highlights but sometimes it feels like he's directing films just to fill time. And that's not that Body of Lies or Matchstick men are bad, (MSM is awesome for me) but Scott shines on films where the world is built from the ground up.

• 3 weeks later...

This BLADERUNNER sequel news disturbs me because I think it's a marketing ploy. They think that by promising a BR sequel they are exhibiting supreme confidence in the success of PROMETHEUS. "We're so sure your going to love Prometheus that we've gone ahead and started developing a Bladerunner sequel. How about that?" It's like when they announce with great fanfare that they are already planning the sequel to a film that hasn't been released yet. We're supposed to say, "Wow. They're already doing a sequel and No one's seen the first one. It must be awesome!" It's all marketing bullshit designed to generate positive word of mouth without actually committing to anything.

• 2 years later...