Episode 478

RSS

In the first edition of the brand new Waiting for the Trade, Bristol residents Tom Hemmings and Chris Gannon class the segment up by taking a look at the indie comic Love and Capes: Wake Up Where You Are, and the British mainstay Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War. Between those, though, they cover the good ol' American superhero comic The Thanos Imperative. USA! USA! USA! [ 1:15:05 || 36.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_478.mp3

Yeah, sorry about the audio on this, it's definitely going to be better on the next one.

Such is the curse of first episodes. Happens to everyone.

Liked this a lot. I knew absolutely nothing about Judge Dredd and found this very educational.

That it was, I personally find Dredd interesting because to my knowledge it's the only comic that runs in real time. Unlike Marvel or DC a year in our world is a year in Dredd's. It's allowed some interesting developments to take place, and over the years some great stories get picked up and then left for a while. The structure is unique.

The sound is annoying for the first minute or so, but after that, it gets better.

I can't believe you two had a discussion about Trouble on WFTT, and made no mention to the fact that your predecessors covered the book back on episode 463 of E-2.

Random thing, but if you go to the trouble wiki page Here. I would swear that the girl in the photo is the awful main female lead from Scrubs Series 9, AKA Scrubs: Med School.

Great first outing, you two! You slipped into the role with ease, and handily made the segment your own. I especially enjoyed your coverage of Judge Dredd. I always wanted to have it covered on WFTT or Is It Wednesday Yet?, but I wasn't sure where to start. And I loved the little jab at me at the end. It gave me a good chuckle. :)

Forgot to mention in my previous comment, but I couldn't hear what Judge Dredd you told Tom to get, and that he thought was awesome. What was the name of that story and would it be available through Amazon?

Also, all the talk has made me want to read some Judge Dredd stories, which ones would you recommend?

I've only read some short stories featuring him, the Batman crossover issues, and a storyline about a carnival of carnal pleasures coming to the city once every year to feed the citizens hearts desires (I can't remember the name of that story)

The Definitive Maybe/The Complete PJ Maybe and America are highlights for me, but I'm sure Chris can give you more. PJ Maybe was the one we mentioned.

I think we'll definitely be taking a look at some more 2000AD at some point in the future. It's not going to dominate our Previously picks but it is a 30+ year legacy with some truly amazing writers and artists so it's worth looking into.

Hi SuaveStar, that story sounds a lot like Sin City (which had to be renamed Devil's Island when collected in Trade for an obvious reason).

As Stavros mentioned, the Complete PJ Maybe is well worth a read as it's based around one of Dredd's archnemeses who is just an incredibly ingenious psychopath rather than being supernatural in any way.

For anyone in the UK, Mongoose Publishing has some 2000AD stuff in their clearance section. Even if you're not in the UK, they still work out to be pretty cheap even with shipping. Of the ones on sale here, I'd recommend Robohunter, Shimura, The Simping Detective, Mega City undercover, Nikolai Dante, Judge Dredd: The Henry Flint Collection and Storming Heaven, as they are either the first parts of their series or self contained ones and they'll feature writers and artists that you'll be familiar with. The bottom three are resource books for the RPGs, so I'd only recommend them if you're an avid RPG fan.

Judge Dredd has been collected into the Case File editions, which are anthologies containing one year's worth of strips. Of those I'd recommend Volume 5 for the Apocalypse War, Volume 6 for the high number of quality stand alone stories and Volume 10 for the beginnings of the Democracy storyline, which culminated later with America (widely regarded as the best Judge Dredd story ever) and Total War (which is a fantastic action story with great work by henry Flint) both of which have been collected by Rebellion.

EDIT: Although I will try not to dominate my previously... picks with 2000 AD, there is one that I might well pick for the next one to demonstrate some of the other types of story 2000AD has done. It's either that one or a fantastic indy TPB that runs to 600+ pages.

This is going to become a war of attrition where we pick longer and longer books isn't it. Well, I suppose it might finally force me to finish reading From Hell. I start every year, get about 1/3rd of the way through and then by the time I get back around to it I have to go back to the beginning because I've forgotten what happened.