Beware the Batman

JackFetch

I still think it would make sense to give it at least a year or two for people to get a break from Batman before draining the well again.

So, you would come off the heels of the release of The Dark Knight Rises on DVD/Blu-Ray and you wouldn't have any other Batman shows on TV and products to merchandise?

That only works if the show is good. This one looks like it's trying too hard.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the important thing to remember is that these shows are not for us. These are, first and foremost, for the new crop of 7 year olds just getting into Batman. That's why these shows have a shelf life of three years or so. The batch of kids who were seven when TBATB started are older now and most of them are going to be bored with Batman at this point. But there's a brand new pile of kids who are going to be eager for this, just as the kids who got into TBATB were unfussed about The Batman, whose audience by that point had largely grown out of it. and so on and so on.

While I might be tired of Batman and the way he's been more or less a constant presence on TV since 1993, and what I've seen of this new show does precisely fuck-all for me, I wouldn't want to deny today's kids the opportunity to get into their OWN verson of the character.

I think the important thing to remember is that these shows are not for us. These are, first and foremost, for the new crop of 7 year olds just getting into Batman. That's why these shows have a shelf life of three years or so. The batch of kids who were seven when TBATB started are older now and most of them are going to be bored with Batman at this point. But there's a brand new pile of kids who are going to be eager for this, just as the kids who got into TBATB were unfussed about The Batman, whose audience by that point had largely grown out of it. and so on and so on.

While I might be tired of Batman and the way he's been more or less a constant presence on TV since 1993, and what I've seen of this new show does precisely fuck-all for me, I wouldn't want to deny today's kids the opportunity to get into their OWN verson of the character.

I can't argue with what you're saying. I have to agree. I loved BTAS and Gotham Knights, but after the subsequent Batman titles that followed it, and this new one, I'm suffering from Batman fatigue.

Then again, I'm not seven.

For what it's worth, here's why I'm big on the "Batmant can be anything you want him to be" idea. It's true that he hasn't always been the BTAS guy, or the Frank Miller badass. But when one considers the incalculable damage that the Adam West show did for all of comics, I don't like seeing any comic book hero, let alone Batman being portrayed as camp. The ability to portray Batman multiple ways has given new perspective on the character, and that's a good thing. The flip side to that is that it also gives people the excuse to crap on his character, as it was done with Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin.

Has any footage of this show even been shown yet? I mean, to me CGI brings back memories of early CGI cartoons like Reboot, and Butt Ugly Martians, which have both aged badly, but maybe this show will be different, we don't know until action footage is shown.

Also, if you don't like the show, you don't need to watch it. I've enjoyed all the Batman cartoons I've seen over the years, do they have crap moments? Yes, but every show is going to have a few bad episodes that taint the show for someone.

You can't go up to WB and say "Put your big money making property away, and do some stuff with these characters, which will cost the same to produce, but make you less money."

Edit: Garfield, Batman was a lot camper in the comics in the 1950's, than he ever could have been in the TV show. So, the show got some of it's source material from somewhere, and didn't just say "Sparkle, sparkle!"

Edit: Garfield, Batman was a lot camper in the comics in the 1950's, than he ever could have been in the TV show. So, the show got some of it's source material from somewhere, and didn't just say "Sparkle, sparkle!"

This. Comics of the 60s, especially DC Comics of the 60s, were INCREDIBLY silly and childish. They definitely had charm and lots of good points, but the Batman TV show was a LOT closer to the reality of the state of comics at the time than a lot of people realize or want to admit.

Has any footage of this show even been shown yet? I mean, to me CGI brings back memories of early CGI cartoons like Reboot, and Butt Ugly Martians, which have both aged badly, but maybe this show will be different, we don't know until action footage is shown.

Also, if you don't like the show, you don't need to watch it. I've enjoyed all the Batman cartoons I've seen over the years, do they have crap moments? Yes, but every show is going to have a few bad episodes that taint the show for someone.

You can't go up to WB and say "Put your big money making property away, and do some stuff with these characters, which will cost the same to produce, but make you less money."

I've seen Superdickery, so I know that it was campier in the '50s. The difference is the size of the audience. A lot more people watched that awful TV show than ever watched the comics. That is why it was so damaging to the genre as a whole. And assuming that other shows would make less is an excuse. Again, Teen Titans wasn't exactly a failure.

Hey now, the 60s Batman is anything but awful. It's fun is what it is. It didn't hurt comics or superheroes; it ingrained a love for them in worldwide audiences, which later allowed for the Burton Batman, which allowed for BTAS, which allowed for everything else. If anything, the 60s Batman is one of the best things to ever happen to comics and the superhero genre.

To say the 60s Batman show hurt comics is like saying...fuck, can't be bothered.

That's ridiculous. The show was, at times, grim and gritty compared to what was going on in the comics at the time.

B:TBAB was a slice of genius that outdoes anything DC's had animation-wise except maybe the Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Complaining about a show that hasn't even had an image released yet is about as useless as the internet gets.

Hey now, the 60s Batman is anything but awful. It's fun is what it is. It didn't hurt comics or superheroes; it ingrained a love for them in worldwide audiences, which later allowed for the Burton Batman, which allowed for BTAS, which allowed for everything else. If anything, the 60s Batman is one of the best things to ever happen to comics and the superhero genre.

You have got to be kidding. That show was TERRIBLE.

To say the 60s Batman show hurt comics is like saying...fuck, can't be bothered.

That's ridiculous. The show was, at times, grim and gritty compared to what was going on in the comics at the time.

B:TBAB was a slice of genius that outdoes anything DC's had animation-wise except maybe the Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Complaining about a show that hasn't even had an image released yet is about as useless as the internet gets.

How can you not say that it hurt comics? To this day, comics still have the stigma of "kids stuff", and nothing is more responsible for that than that awful show. Were comics campy then? Sure. But they weren't on TV. This was.

They had that stigma beforehand, dude. It's only been in the past twenty five years where the idea of actually writing for adults began to take hold.

Comics have that stigma because for the vast majority of their existence, that's what they were.

Just because they've moved beyond that in your lifetime, doesn't mean you should rail against the past.

They had that stigma beforehand, dude. It's only been in the past twenty five years where the idea of actually writing for adults began to take hold.

Comics have that stigma because for the vast majority of their existence, that's what they were.

Just because they've moved beyond that in your lifetime, doesn't mean you should rail against the past.

It doesn't mean I have to pretend crap is filet mignon either.

Nor does it mean that you, as an adult, should rail against a children's show. A children's show that is likely to get a bunch of kids into Batman, and, thus, into comics.

Yeesh, Des, why all the hate? All I've said is, from what I've seen and heard, this doesn't look impressive. I already admitted that this isn't necessarily geared toward me. I know that. But why I am so unreasonable for having that opinion?

Why all the hate from you?

This is a show for 7 year olds. If it doesn't sound good, don't watch it. Instead, why put so much effort into an anti stance when you could just not bother caring about it. For something you're so opposed to, you seem to have a vested interest in hammering it.

If I have a pet peeve, it's that.

Why all the hate from you?

This is a show for 7 year olds. If it doesn't sound good, don't watch it. Instead, why put so much effort into an anti stance when you could just not bother caring about it. For something you're so opposed to, you seem to have a vested interest in hammering it.

If I have a pet peeve, it's that.

It's not hate. All that happened is that I said I didn't think this looked all that good. Half a dozen people jumped over it. That's all that happened.

That's the thing. It was pointed out by several people that judging something you've never seen is ridiculous; that it's a show for kids that could get them into comics; and that Batman makes a shitload of money.

That's why there's another Batman show. And that's why there'll be another one when this one's done.

That and the 60s Batman show thing was just ridiculous. I'm done.