Episode 483

RSS

Okay, it's really late, but Mike's look at the third week of DCnU comics is finally here! And this time he covers Batman and Robin #1, Batwoman #1, Deathstroke #1, Demon Knights #1, Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE #1, Green Lantern #1, Grifter #1, Legion Lost #1, Mister Terrific #1, Red Lanterns #1, Resurrection Man #1, Suicide Squad #1, and Superboy #1. [ 1:53:02 || 52.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_483.mp3

Again Mike, THANK YOU for putting the frustrations I felt with Mister Terrific to words. I wanted to like that book and the character a lot, but it was forced, half ass and unsatisfying.

With Batman and Robin, was that really the Bat-Gyro the villains were trying to escape in? I never caught that...

Thanks, guys. Sorry this one and parts four and five have been delayed. Honestly, Mister Terrific broke me. Between it and Red Lanterns #1, there was originally a several-minute break. I had to walk away from the computer, and contemplated quitting the whole feature. It even took me two weeks to edit, because I couldn't go back to that episode. That said, I think I'm refreshed enough to get back on that horse for the final DCnU #1s. Hopefully I'll record part four on Monday and five later in the same week.

Thanks, guys. Sorry this one and parts four and five have been delayed. Honestly, Mister Terrific broke me. Between it and Red Lanterns #1, there was originally a several-minute break. I had to walk away from the computer, and contemplated quitting the whole feature. It even took me two weeks to edit, because I couldn't go back to that episode. That said, I think I'm refreshed enough to get back on that horse for the final DCnU #1s. Hopefully I'll record part four on Monday and five later in the same week.

What's Peter Milligan's (The writer of Red Lanterns) appeal? Everything I've read written by him has been in general, a bit pompous and bland, and sadly Red Lanterns was no different.

Yeah I didn't read Terrific just based on that dodgy laser panel that was pointed out. Red Lanterns wasn't exactly worthwhile either, that's the corps least suited to their own book. If they were going to do a series based on a non-green corps I'd say do an in-depth mini with Jonathan Crane as a Yellow Lantern.

Looking forward to the next editions, mostly to see what you thought of Aquaman, Red Hood, JLA dark and Nightwing.

• 1 month later...

Before you gave up on Mr Terrific, you also hit on one of the strange-but-true adages of storytelling - that people will accept the impossible (flying people, time-travel, shapeshifters) more readily than the implausible (Olympic decathletes who are also supersmart with megacorporations).

And, yeah, the race stuff bugged the hell out of me too. At first I thought I was being oversensitive, so I'm glad that someone else saw the tackiness.

I also had the same thought about Red Lanterns. Not a bad book, but is this really an ongoing? Not a mini, or a story in an already-running series? On the other hand, maybe they're counting on us thinking that and we'll be surprised...

Flying alien-orphans from a destroyed planet? Fine.

Space cops with will-power rings? Check.

Swamp creatures that tap into another level of reality. Works for me.

Bruce Wayne? Yup.

Genius-level Olympic gold medalists billionaires with Fortune 500 companies than can build, essentially, The TARDIS but does nothing with said tech to improve the world? Fuck you! The creators of Mister Terrific can suck my dick.

My biggest problem with Terrific is that much of his significance is born out of comic book fan's desire to rank heroes. I mean, calling him the 3rd smartest man in the world is stupid, when was this stat figured out? Was it a poll in Time Magazine or an empirical study? I don't mind an Olympic level athlete who builds shit on the side to help his crime fighting career, that's fine, it's just when you throw in the 3rd smartest that it becomes too much, I mean in what fields? By what standard? At least Wayne is shown to be a very smart guy who often calls on others for their expertise and invests heavily in the wider future of humanity. Mr Terrific is a stat on a fanboy's 'Most Smartest' chart.

I mean, calling him the 3rd smartest man in the world is stupid, when was this stat figured out? Was it a poll in Time Magazine or an empirical study?

Bingo. If it was some kind of in-story 'joke', maybe I could cope with it... ('Is it true you're world's smartest man?' 'Aw, shucks, no, I'd say I'm third smartest at most.') But people in the comic behave as if it's a concrete ranking. And by some kind of body that apparently gets to arbritate on or rank intelligence.