Damn IGN!

Missy

So IGN just opened a new section called IGN Comics. Now I've got no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is this:

Versus: We take characters, teams, creators and series and pit them against one another to see which is best. In the future, you will see such fine installments as Battle of the Robins and Spider-Man vs. Spider-Ham.

The fact that they're running character battles doesn't bother me all that much, but that they're 01. calling it "Versus", and 02. that they're planning a Battle of the Robins. Not only have we run that one once before, but I'm in the process of rewriting it for an upcoming edition of the newly revamped Versus.

It just irks me, that's all.

It occurs to me that they have a paysite available. If we were doing it first, and they ripped the idea off of us, or have debuted their idea after ours, at very least, shouldn't you take some action? That really blows, that they'd make money on an idea that for all intents and purposes, and definately in execution, is an Earth-2 thing.

Well, the character battling thing is nothing new. In fact, Wizard ran "Last Man Standing" for years and I cannot say that it didn't inspire me to some degree. (Though, truth be told, it was actually the classic Spider-Man v Batman thread at the Oratory.) Then there's this place, but I didn't learn of them until two weeks ago and I don't know how long they've been around. So because I didn't originate the idea or trademark the term "Versus", I'm not sure action can be taken.

What has me upset is this: Should IGN readers stumble across Earth-2, they're going to think we stole the idea and name from the larger site. Maybe it won't manifest itself in the form of "You stole Versus from IGN!" e-mails or posts, but I don't want people even thinking that.

• 7 months later...
Well guess what: IGN has done it again.

I swear, the very next Versus I had planned was the Avengers v the Justice League in a baseball game.  *sigh*

So they stole an idea that you hadn't released?

I'm not complaining about them doing this; I'm upset that I didn't beat them to it. Sorry if that was unclear.

As I said before, I don't want any IGN readers coming here and making the claim that we stole things (RE: Versus, this baseball thing) from the larger site. That's all.