Episode 487

RSS

Good to have Potterwatch back!

For my part, I thought the books generally got better as they went on, getting progressively darker (except for the Order of Phoenix, which was a piece of shit). So I've always preferred Chamber of Secrets to PHILOSOPHER'S Stone, both the book and the movie versions. For all Ron's gurning and Dobby in general, it was pretty damn good film adaptation.

I'm always pained to agree with K-Dubs (although good debut, young'un!) but it's hard to argue the awesomeness of Jason Isaacs and Kenneth Branagh. I'm an unabashed Branagh mark and he was incredible as Gilderoy Lockhart!!

One idea for you - how about a running tally of how you rank Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers per film? Two films in, its pretty easy to say Lockhart > Quirrell, but with the next film you get Lupin. You may even find the film versions of the teachers to be better than their textual forms, or vice versa - the Lupin on screen was very different to how I pictured Lupin looking.

All in all, keep it up!

Thanks Ian!

I was thinking us of doing a retrospective episode in which we ranked, among other things, the best, worst, and most surprising screen portrayals of the characters, but I like your idea as well. There'd be one problem with that, though:

We don't get to see any scenes of Snape as DADA professor in the sixth film, nor do we get any hint of the torture that Amycus Carrow inflicts on rebellious students as DADA professor in either part of the Deathly Hallows. We could still rank just the five in the films or all seven during one of our later reviews, though.

One idea for you - how about a running tally of how you rank Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers per film? Two films in, its pretty easy to say Lockhart > Quirrell, but with the next film you get Lupin. You may even find the film versions of the teachers to be better than their textual forms, or vice versa - the Lupin on screen was very different to how I pictured Lupin looking.

That is indeed a great idea. Consider it done!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the switched format proved to be pretty beneficial to the overall show! I've always liked the main actors throughout the series (possibly because they're my age if slightly younger) and appreciated Emma Watson get some props. As a lifelong arachnaphobe, I can attest to this being hell to watch as was the last movie. I read the books beforehand, so I knew where to expect the spiders.

I'm curious as to why you think the 5th book was crap Ian..!