Episode 15

RSS

Kellen, Randy, and Steph end the year by beginning the final season of Avatar with "The Awakening," "The Headband," and "The Painted Lady." The trio also discusses an added sexuality to the third season and the leaked Legend of Korra footage, and a 24-episode streak without a score below five will end. [ 1:23:06 || 40.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/avatarthelastpodcast/episodes/avatar_015.mp3

I wanted to add to the discussion about Ozais role as a father. His cold heart runs in the family. Ozai may have scarred Zuko, but Azulon wanted Zuko to be killed. That entire family needs some counseling. I compare Ozai to darth vader. Vader may have taken over the galaxy and murdered thousands, but he still cared about his son.

-

My real beef with Ozai is that we didn't get to see him in action until the very end. I prefer a real hands-on villain like megaton or mum-ra. Someone who will get their hands dirty. I feel that at least one mid series confrontation with the Aang gang would have helped, if for nothing else but to show who the strongest is.

-

As for the painted lady episode. I agree with the gripes, but not the score. Like you said, each character reached a point where they went off the schedule. I can't imagine them leaving and doing nothing at all to help. That would be like abandoning the family that needed help through the serpents pass. They may not have made it back at all to help the town, if things had taken a turn for the worst.

Just my thoughts

My real beef with Ozai is that we didn't get to see him in action until the very end. I prefer a real hands-on villain like megaton or mum-ra. Someone who will get their hands dirty. I feel that at least one mid series confrontation with the Aang gang would have helped, if for nothing else but to show who the strongest is.

I disagree, I think Ozai is as menacing as anything just calmly sitting in the shadows. I love how millions of people are dying everyday because of him, and he's just sitting comfortably in his thrown. Which makes it all the more surprising when he become crazy with power in the finale. I think that would've been lost if you'd seen him like that before.

Have said that I'm the kind of person who prefers a villain who doesn't like to get their hands dirty, like Lex Luthor in S:TAS, someone who feels like that kind of thing is below them.

See, I love a villain who doesn't get his hands dirty - because he's already kicked all the ass there is.

The Kingpin is a perfect example. Say what you will about the character, but the IDEA of the character is that he's a guy who never has to do his own dirty work - but don't underestimate him because he's a motherfucker of a fighter.

I hear y'all on that, but I NEED to see the villains in action. They need to back up all the talk. Look at Azula, she made sure that people knew how much of a threat she is. Now, Luthor and Kingpin are great examples. If I could just see them train someone progressively throughout the series, that might help me get an idea of their true power.

-

Remember Slade from Teen Titans? He's a good example of hands-off and hands-on.