Every comic you've read in 2012

Missy

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 49-something

American Vampire #22

Archie #628

Archie Giant Series Magazine #479

Disney-Pixar / Muppets Presents: The Treasure of Peg Leg Wilson (only the first story)

Tomb of Dracula #68

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #461

Gen13 #1 (1994)

In places, this isn't bad at all. Sure, the characters are cliched and the idea of an evil government agency is nothing new, but the mystery surrounding these kids (as well as Lynch's missing son) is kinda good.

In other places, however, it's awful. Unless I missed it, I have no idea why IO (or whoever) wants these kids as their weapons. It's as simple as, "We're evil! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!"

Tean 7 #1 (1994)

I remember loving this miniseries as a teenager. It was cool and violent, featured guys who took shit from no one and awesome military lingo, and the art was frantic. Nearly 20 years later, man, this issue did not hold up. It's ugly and bland, the art is very scratchy, and no one stands out. (The only reason I know who some of the characters are is because I recognize certain names, like Cash, Lynch, Slayton, and Dane.)

This is minor, but it bugged me anyway: this book is set in the 1970s, yet there's a poster of Captain Picard on a wall.

Comics: 107 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 0

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tean 7 #2 (1994)

More military mumbo jumbo, more poorly executed intrigue, and more substandard art.

Nova #1 (1999)

Back when this was first released, the only reason I read the series was because Erik Larsen was the writer. Before then, I had little clue who Nova was, what his powers were, or anything about his list of friends and foes. And I loved it!

All these years later, however, it does not hold up. At all. It's not terrible, but it reads like a comic from the early 1980s, despite it being published in 1999; the exposition is endless, resulting in clunky dialog. Looking at it now, I can see why the series lasted only seven issues.

Ex Machina #1-5

Allow me to do a quick impression of Brian K. Vaughan as he prepared to write Ex Machina: "Fanboys are going to be blown away by my mighty researching skills! I'm not even going to hide my research; I'm going to fill every page with stuff I looked up about New York politics, art, engineering, and more! I might even directly quote the books I skimmed! And then I'll make sure to cram my political agenda into every issue, too! Oh boy! I'm awesome!"

Comics: 114 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 0

Batman: Gates of Gotham

More Dick-as-Batman goodness, with an interesting look at Victorian Gotham. The art wasn't as appealing as Francovilla's or even Jock's from The Black Mirror, but fit the scenes of Gotham past very nicely and the antagonist's steampunk get-up is awesome.

Ultimate Spiderman, Vol. 9: Ultimate Six

A rather disappointing entry in the series, with little happening up until the Six (or more accurately, the Five) face off against the Ultimates. Hairsine does a decent job of emulating Hitch's character designs but is very sloppy when it comes to Bagley's. There are other inconsistencies throughout (the main one that comes to mind being the Goblin suddenly turning from a seven-foot monster to a twelve-foot monster in the last issue and even Bendis' writing takes a step down: In addition to giving the villains (except for Osborn) very little characterization and not even having Peter help the Ultimates bring them down in the final issue, he has the Goblin saying the infamous line "KILL YOU!!!" at least once as the battle is winding down.

Superman: Secret Origin

Superfluous and not entirely original, but still a well-written, beautifully drawn story. Takes a number of cues from the original Superman movie (not surprising, considering that Johns is a great admirer of and got started working for Richard Donner) and has a lot of parallels with early episodes of Superman: The Animated Series and the recent run on Action Comics, but is much more focused and has a bit more meat on it than the latter. While I'll concede that drawing children and teenagers is not Gary Frank's strong suit, there are people a lot worse at doing so working in comics today.

Collections: 9

Secret Avengers #1-12, 12.1, 13-16: Brubaker starts off kind of shaky. I like his lower-key spy stuff, but the whole Mars thing doesn't work. I was glad Nova left because the book picks up when they return to earth. I REALLY enjoyed the mission to save the AIM agent. I thought that was about as good as political intrigue superhero comics get. The Fear Itself issues were good. I never read Fear Itself, and I probably still won't, but Brubaker did what Bendis did with Civil War and Secret Invasion in the Avengers: show character spotlight issues. But, Brubaker did it well. I care about Beast and Valkyrie in theirs. I think the Black Widow issue was a misfire because it was trying to convince you of the power of a superhero death in the middle of a storyline where the superhero death was completely meaningless. Overall, the run wasn't bad. Not great though. Ellis's first issue, on the other hand, is a complete turd. Like in most of Warren Ellis's books, NOTHING HAPPENS but there's the illusion that something is happening. McKelvie's art makes Beast look like he belongs on a Saturday Morning cartoon. Yuck.

Comics: 222

Graphic Novels: 4

Trades: 10

Omnibus: 3

52 #1

I'm not sure if I'll keep reading this series, but it is a damn fine start to an ambitious project by DC. Right from the start, the characters are pretty well-defined, and you can see hints of where each one will wind up by the final issue.

X-Factor #87 (1986) and X-Factor #13 (2006)

These two books are the "X-Aminations" and "Re-X-Aminations" issues, in which Peter David sits the characters down for brief psychiatric studies / character introductions. Even if you've never read an X-book before and / or have no clue who these characters are (and let's be fair, they are mostly second- if not third-stringers), these two issues will tell you all you need to know. From Havok's jealousy to Polaris' insecurity to Quicksilver's frustration to Siryn's denial to Strong Guy's pain, you come away feeling as if these colorfully clad characters are real people with real issues. This is a brilliant idea, in terms of gateway issues, and I wish more writers would take note. (Not that they should rip it off wholesale, but elements of it can be used in other ways when it comes to character-building.)

Comics: 117 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 0

Butterscotch 1: The invisible Man follows around an incredibly hot assistant to a ballerina he's obsessed with. They get into hijinks. Sexy hijinks. I'm reading through some of Manara's stuff as his art is superb storytelling-wise, and he happens to be probably the artist who draws the sexiest women alive.

Fatal Rendezvous: Another Manara thing, but very different. Most of his erotica is very playful, cute and harmless. This however, is the story of a politician who is indebted to a mobster who amps up the interest and has the politician's wife raped every night at the same time until he can pay back. This is a rapesploitation film as written by Rod Serling directed by Tinto Brass. Kind of perfect, actually...

Invincible Iron Man volume 2: I really enjoyed the first volume of Fraction and Larroca's run. This one starts out with Stark in a coma which, admittedly, is a difficult story point to continue with, but it does what I hate so much in comics: repeated dream sequences of characters dead/in comas/under spells/whatever. Snooze...It can be done by having the supporting cast step up. Brubaker did it for a time in Cap. Fraction built up a great supporting cast and made them insufferable with Tony not around to be their anchor. Once it breaks out of that, into the Stark Resilient storyline, it gets really fucking good. I love the building of a new company even more than the actual superheroics behind it.

Comics: 222

Graphic Novels: 6

Omnibus: 4

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #1-9 and Avengers: The Children's Crusade - Young Avengers one-shot

I'm lukewarm on this series. Characters conveniently pop up for sake of the story, motivations change, Captain America and Cyclops are out of character, it retcons Avengers: Disassembled and House of M to have been the work of Doom's manipulations, two major characters are senselessly killed off, the Young Avengers do a lot of nothing as The Avengers and X-Men fight, one character messes up while using another's weapon for no other reason than to make him dark and brooding, but, all that said, it isn't offensive, the characters are fun and filled with teenage doubt, and the book looks stunning.

Comics: 127 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 0

I've got a shit-ton to add, but I won't get to that for a while. I need a pile beside me to do that. But first:

Secret Warriors #1-28: In a word: wonderful. Hickman - though being credited as co-writer for the first arc - is clearly in charge throughout. Caselli and Vitti are both excellent artists. This series does what I love and exploits the rich history of Marvel Comics like Brubaker's Marvel Project byt retconning things back to World War 2. Beautifully written and composed masterfully seeing as all 28 issues is one long story. Loved it. But I would have been losing my mind reading this monthly.

Comics: 250

Back for part two:

Avengers: Prime-aka the time Bendis undid everything that happened between Iron Man and Cap since Civil War. I kid, sort of. I got this because of Alan Davis. He's one of my favorites as I'm sure anyone who cares that's reading this already knows, and it's actually pretty rare to see him on top tier Marvel characters. This is pretty great art-wise. Storywise, it's light but full of moments which is pretty par for the Bendis course. Good, but not great.

Avengers X-Sanction #1-3: So, I ordered this from my LCS. I thought "Hey, Schism was fucking great and it looks like they're finally doing something with the X-Men [note that this is before all the recent hubbub] so I'll try this other new X/Avengers miniseries." I totally should have googled it first because it's written by Jeph Loeb. Or I should say, it's plotted once by Jeph Loeb and he did a find and replace on the Avengers' character names for each issue. Fuck. It's ridiculous. Cable has the same fight with Cap in issue one as he has with Iron Man in two (they even end up falling into the same trap!) as he does with Red Hulk in issue three. Holy shit! I can't believe I have to buy one more issue of this...After that, I'm done. I don't give a fuck about Bendis and what he's doing with the Avengers movie cash-in series with *shock* Mark Bagley and any other X-series he's writing. I'm back to Avengers Academy and Thunderbolts by trade only. Fucking waste of money...

Prophet #21:Not a fan of the art. At all. The story was VERY minimal. I've ordered the second issue too but that will have to be pretty incredible if I'm going to get the trade of this.

DCU Presents Deadman #2-3: I love the human element of this story a lot. Not a fan at all of the mystical aspect. That's par for the course with my enjoyment of Deadman stories. The star here is Bernard Chang on art, who I hope gets bigger gigs after this because he deserves it.

Savage Dragon #176-178: Still, great shit! The Osama Bin Laden issue was pretty silly, but it was a neat little piece of satire about the whole assassination thing. I enjoyed it even though it kind of took away from the momentum Larsen's been building over the past couple years. He's on fucking fire with this!

Comics: 259

Trades: 11

Part Three:

Blueberry vol 1-3: The first couple western GNs by Moebius are at times delightfully silver age and incredibly dense. The storytelling is fucking incredible. The size of the books (the standard European book cut) allows for two or three panels more per page adding to the density. Blueberry isn't the most compelling character, but its the same in the way that the cowboys from the 50s movies weren't. Because that's what this is: two French guys' appreciation of 1950s American cowboy movies with sexism and racism completely intact. Lovely! I think Moebius was most known for his immensely imaginative fantasy/sci fi work, but everyone should read these too.

Early 60s Moebius: a bootleg volume of his very early work. It consists of mostly strip-type stuff. Think MAD magazine with a little more absurdity and irreverence and you've got this work. A little sexier, a little bawdier, and a little weirder. His style is all over the place, drawing influence from Lovecraft, Aragones and Hal Foster. Crazy.

Butterscotch 2: Yes, a sequel, to the erotic invisible man comic. Not as good, not as sexy. Still Manara. Fun, but not as fun as the first one. More of a mean-spirited thing and that doesn't sit right compared to the original.

Morbus Gravis 1: Serpieri is my jam. That dude draws the sexiest woman on earth. Namely: Druuna (google image search the name if you don't believe me, not at work though). The whore wandering a post-apocalyptic landscape of deformed mutants. Love it!

Obviously on a European kick. Not ending anytime soon.

Graphic Novels: 12

Chase TPB: Solid. Chase seems like a very early version of Jessica Jones in Alias. Unfortunately there's a lot of crap material sprinkled in here. The opening issue from Detective Comics is not very good and all the back end material after the series was canceled is really pretty crappy. The issues from the actual Chase series though are pretty good, though a little uneven. The character arc of Chase going from pretty boldly hating everything to do with superhumans to reluctantly accepting them by the end isn't naturally progressive, it kind of stutters. The stories are fun and entertaining and I can see why it became a cult classic, but it just seemed like it was laying the foundations for others to do it better (Alias).

Red Skull Incarnate: I picked this up because I was pretty heavily reading Captain America at the time, and I felt this was a good companion piece. It's an interesting look into the mind of a sociopath growing up in Nazi Germany. It's a very well researched story and very different than what I expected. It's more cerebral than I was expecting and a very serious take on what's usually a pretty over the top villain. My biggest issue is that a lot of the big decisions seemed to come out of nowhere. Maybe I didn't notice but especially the decision to join the Nazi party seemed to come out of left field, especially after all the build up.

7/10

Astonishing Spider-man and Wolverine: A thoroughly inconsequential yet zany, crazy take on the team up. Nothing matters here, but that fact doesn't matter. This is pure indulgent comic book, everything in here is comic booky, from time travel to the banter, to the villains. The conclusion is a little anti-climactic but the message that these polar opposites who hate each other, don't really respect each other, but still are friends.

7/10

Uncanny X-men by Brubaker (Deadly Genesis, Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire, Extremists): A very average run that has some big changes to not only the X-universe but also the Marvel cosmic world. I'll say it right now Vulcan is like a child having a fit, reminds me a lot of Sentry actually. Anyways, Brubaker does some fun stuff here, especially with his established characters, he continues the characterization of Xavier as someone who has a dark past and has done some pretty f'd up stuff, he makes Warpath into a badass (certainly helped by the artist on Rise and Fall), there's (new?) character named Korvus who is basically wolverine in space and he's fun, and Havoc gets to be a leader again. Most of the good stuff is in Rise and Fall, which I thought was a pretty fun space epic, not fantastic, but I had a lot of fun with it, the rest is more below average. Oh yeah and Darwin is introduced here as well, it's good to see his origins, it makes him a bit more rounded for when I continue to read X-factor.

Deadly Genesis: 6/10

Rise and Fall: 7/10

Extemists: 4/10

X-men Supernovas and Blinded by the Light by Mike Carey: I was really disappointed by this. I heard Carey's run on X-men: Legacy was pretty good, and this is the precursor to that run but it's just not good at all. While usually I like B-teams, heck my favorite team book is X-factor, nothing is done with this team, they're kind of just put through what seem like pretty typical X-men plots and melodrama with even some really unlikely pair ups (Iceman and Mystique, really?). It's an interesting team but not characterization is done here for me to care about the characters and it ends up being a mess of plots I couldn't get into. And Blinded by the Light was just a big Messiah Complex prequel.

Supernovas: 3/10

Blinded by the Light: 3/10

Mark Millar's Fantastic Four: My search for a connection to the FF continued here with this run. I've been through quite a few runs and while a lot of stories were satisfying none of them made me stand up and say, these are/could be my favorite characters. Ugh. I didn't find it here. This whole thing just feels like Mark Millar trying to make the Fantastic Four into the ultimates. A lot of stuff is just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. It's not bad, it's high concept, and it's definitely got some interesting plots, but pretty much no new light is shed on the FF characters and every big conflict seems to drag in the rest of the Marvel Universe.

1st tpb: 6/10

2nd tpb: 5/10

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four by Johnathon Hickman: This was more like it. I really enjoyed this arc, and while some of it feels goofy and added nothing (3 members get trapped in time), it was still fun. I really liked the characterization of Reed here, Hickman just gets Reed here and I really sympathized with him, he feels like the world is on his shoulders and that the splintering of the superhero community and for a short time, his family, was his fault. The kids are given some things to do and really stand up for themselves, it's obvious that the positive morals of standing up for family are leaking through into the next generation. They are kids, they act like kids, but everything here is done with joy and wonderment. I'm excited to see where this goes next, something I haven't been able to say very often when it comes to FF.

7.5/10

Up Next: More of Hickman's FF and X-men's Messiah Complex, Divided We Stand, and Manifest Destiny.

Airtight Garage: This is the Dark Horse comics version in English that Moebius spent a long time coloring. And, man! Is it fucking beautiful? Yep. Do I have a fucking clue about anything that happened in the more than one hundred pages of story? Nope. Not a clue. I didn't even understand the "The story so far" section. Thank God it was mindfuckingly beautiful...

Apocalypse: The Eyes of Doom: War crimes? Check. Psychic powers? Check. Secret societies? Check. Opium use? Check. Juan Giminez art? Check. This one didn't even need to be in English and I would have loved it. Great looking and a cool story to boot!

Graphic Novels: 14

Serpieri stuff is messed up man. Like full on body horror messed up. I'm pretty sure you need to be extremely high to truly get the story too.

The story's a lot more straight forward than a lot of other Euro stuff, but yeah, sexy body horror.

Black Order Brigade: RED meets Expendables meets...<place introspective European drama name here>. The terrorist unit known as the Black Order Brigade did something horrible years ago and now, as senior citizens, they have to make things right. Pierre Christian and Enki Bilal is about as good as European comics gets in my mind. This one rambles a little bit but is still beautiful. Even when nothing's going on, there's a beautiful sense of storytelling and color that is just plain pretty to look at.

Eden: A pretty cool noir sci fi story that doesn't really go anywhere too interesting beyond the introduction of the premise. It could have been a plain crime noir story and it would have been no different.

Horny Goof: a bit of a saucy Moebius with a lot of the Sergio Aragones influence to it. Part absurdist/surrealist work, part saucy erotica. Weird.

Fusion: Pretty much an art book, but there's enough 1-3 page strips here to constitute a graphic novel. Beautiful shit. Funny, sexy, awe-inspiring.

Metallic Memories: Same as above, but a little shorter and a little better. Great. So great. The comics world really lost out when Moebius died. Also, reading the afterwords to these English collections, you see that he wrote about himself in the third person. Just worth noting.

Graphic Novels: 19

Archie # 627-630: This was so fun. I've been Championing Archie Comics for the last year so it was awesome to finally get to read this. Archie meeting Kiss could have been so hokey. Instead, it's an enjoyable adventure and I can actually imagine Kiss playing themselves.

Kevin Keller #1: I'll admit. At first I wasn't too keen on KK. The character seemed like he was going to be a gimmick. Instead, he does seem fleshed out if a little too perfect at times. That and I love his relationship with Veronica. She seems like the best fag hag ever.

Comics: 23

Graphic Novels: 0

Trades: 0

Omnibus: 0

Archie # 621-623: 621 and 622 are more of the Archie I'm used to. It's not a great story but still fun. Archie and the gang end up in your standard Lost World. 623 features Archie and Valerie from Josie and the Pussycats being cute together as both The Archies and The Pussycats are going to be on American Idol and The X-Factor. It's all kinda boring outside of the fact that I am firmly cheering for Valerie in the great Archie Love Showdown.

Locke and Key Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft: I loved this. I've been hearing the hype for a couple of years and I'm glad I finally read it. The premise is intrigueing and it had some really fun horror to it. Can't wait until C2E2 to see if I can pick up some of the other volumes for a good price.

Comics: 27

Graphic Novels: 1

Planetary, Vol. 1-2:

This is a book that I feel I should revisit in a bit and read in one sitting. I had a hard time getting into the first trade as I felt that the story got a bit lost in the shuffle as Ellis was trying to set up the world of Planetary and in places could have done more showing and less telling (esp. the kaiju and Hong Kong ghost issues). The second one was better and the very first issue of it brilliant, but the series as a whole feels uneven to me, vacillating between amazing and only passable. Even so, this is not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination and I do plan on picking up the third and fourth volumes in trade form rather than from iTunes like the other issues in this post.

JLA: The Nail #1-3:

Without a doubt one of, if not the greatest, out-of-continuity (by which I mean outside of mainstream continuity, not just the DCnU) books ever written and at the top of my why-didn't-you-read-this-sooner list. This is easily on par with the likes of Red Son and Kingdom Come. I'm open to recommendations for more Elseworlds and out-of-continuity books from DC.

Detective Comics #854-860:

The Batwoman: Elegy storyline (skipped the Question back-ups). I find that I generally enjoy DC books with characters that never appeared or got very little screen time in the DCAU and this one was no exception. This storyline rewarded my reading of 52 (however that sentence is structured), makes me even more of a Greg Rucka fan than I was before and a new fan of J.H.Williams III.

Collections: 11

Issues: 10

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery Men #1-5: I like the idea of telling untold tales of previously unmentioned heroes of the Pulp Era of Marvel history. In the back matter, writer David Liss mentions that you should keep your eyes open for ties to Marvel continuity but, as someone who's pretty well-steeped in old school Marvel, they only mention 2 things: Howard Stark's son was kidnapped at the same time as the LIndbergh baby? Okay...does that pay off in the regular Marvel U? Also, the Daily Bugle in 1934? I distinctly remember that being a relatively new paper at the beginning of the Amazing Spider-Man series. I might be wrong there. Oh yeah, apparently in the Marvel U

Baron Zemo and Nox the Fear Lord returned the LIndbergh baby to Charles Lindbergh in exchange for his Nazi Sympathies? Okey doke.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. Probably worth a trade buy for Zircher's art alone.

Upon a Star: Moebius

Arzach: and other fantasy stories: More Moebius

The Long Tomorrow: Even more Moebius.

The Gardens of Aedena: Even more more Moebius.

The Goddes: Rain falls heavily form the sky. Long grass bends thanks to the weight of fat drops of water. Desmond kneels at a gravestone and then looks to the sky. We look down at him as he kneels, defeated and drinking raindrops. He swallows the water in his mouth and opens it again. He opens his mouth but nothing comes out for a moment. Then his throat clicks and tears form in his eyes as he screams:

MOEBIUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

The Crew #1-7: I decided to read this after listening to an interview with Jim Owlsley/Christopher Priest/ Priest. I mostly read this because Josiah X is the Captain America of the Marvel Omega universe and it was pretty good.

Comics: 271

Graphic Novels: 24

Locke and Key Vol. 2+3: This series continues to get good. It's at the half way point and starting to get really interesting. Some elements of Volume 3 were feeling a little iffy, like the writer was told to add an action piece, but the rest is great as the characters evolve further.

Comics: 27

Graphic Novels: 3

DC Universe Presents Deadman #4-5: Yeesh! These last two issues divebomb into the shitter. The storytelling is so fucking typical and derivative of every post Neal Adams Deadman story that's ever been told that it is literally grating on my nerves as I read it. Bernard Chang's art is great, but I can look elsewhere for that. Total stinker. So much for DC's "New" 52. Gah!

True Believers #1-5: I see what they were trying to do and if they were doing it in 1998, it would have been incredible. Unfortunately it was only a couple years ago. Paul Gulacy's art is nice but the art is so stuck on internet culture being so subversive and searching for truth in the Marvel universe that it's a little bit embarrassing.

Gwaii #1: Got this free from Arcana Studios at the con on the weekend. It's actually a kid's comic story of the mythical creatures that supposedly live on an island a couple hundred kilometers north of me in Haida G'waii. It was a little shocking when they went the Bambi route and killed mom in the opening pages but the boys seemed to not mind it. They laughed a little bit.

Clockwork Girl #1: also free from Arcana, this was astoundingly beautiful. I have to hunt down this trade. A really beautiful children's story that boys and girls will both love. The boys were enthralled. You can keep complaining about the fact that there aren't enough comics for kids, or you can buy Clockwork Girl.

Harbinger #0-25: I remember mentioning on the 90s episode Mike and I did about this being one of my all-time favorite runs. I reread it and despite it being a little bit dated, it holds the fuck up. Really good shit. Fantastic long form storytelling with a lot of story in each issue. Way more than there is in a regular comic today. Loved it. I'm going to read through the rest of the run, which I haven't read all of before.

Doom 2099 #1-6: I gave this a shot. I did. But it's fucking awful. Even me, a Pat Broderick mark for his work on Alpha Flight, I was unable to get beyond the terrible storytelling and stunted plot and paper thin characterization. Terrible.

Comics: 312

Graphic Novels: 24

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 500

Action Comics #1 (1938)

Action Comics #1 (2011)

Action Comics #775

Superman Annual #11

Superman: Birthright #1

Superman: The Secret Years #1

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 513

Animal Man #1-5 (2011)

Essex County, volume one: Tales from the Farm

Sweet Tooth #1-5

Comics: 143 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 1

X-O Manowar #1 (2012)

Oh man! You guys are going to love this book! Amazing art, solid characterization, and what promises to be a grand story. It goes on sale this upcoming Wednesday. Buy it!

If all goes as planned, I hope to have a written review ready for Monday.

Comics: 152 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 1