Arrow

JackFetch

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll watch an episode for him, but I'd rather he play Booster Gold or a younger Ted Kord.

That would be fun, but I think Ted Kord should be closer to Ollie's age or even younger at this point. Routh is in his mid-30s; he's actually just a year or two older than Amell, though they play Ollie younger, but Routh looks his age nowadays, so I can buy him as an established scientist with a lot of research under his belt; i.e., Palmer. (That said, I do kinda wish they had gone with Ryan Choi, if just to make things a little more interesting.)

Routh is an actor that always has deserved better than he's gotten. Outside of just being attractive, he's very capable of being funny. Really, Superman Returns screwed him, that's all. I look forward to this.

As a side note, I love how the first season of this show was kinda trying to be a realistic world and has very quickly given up on that.

Routh is an actor that always has deserved better than he's gotten. Outside of just being attractive, he's very capable of being funny. Really, Superman Returns screwed him, that's all. I look forward to this.

He's really quite wooden, but has found out how to turn that into an asset. He's legitimately funny, frequently in an "I don't understand what's going on right now but I'll try to keep up" way. His bad guy turn on Chuck was actually pretty great.

He gets far too much (which is to say, any at all) grief for the failure of Superman Returns, but it's easier for Hollywood to lay the blame on a relatively neophyte actor than on a director who still has some stroke in the industry. That movie had tons of issues, but Routh wasn't one of them.

I thought that his Reeves impression was pretty good, it was more of a modern interpretation. Still, that film should never have tried to be a sequel. If it'd been it's own thing Routh might be known for being Superman three times instead of once.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've caught up to season 3 now.

Overall impressions of the show? Obviously I like it because I'm still watching. There's an aspect of it where I feel like the writers aren't giving the audience much if any credit, plots are constantly re-explained in a "this is what is happening" kind of way. There's also a predictable rhythm to the revelation of secrets across the cast etc and a very clumsy style of getting characters where they thing they need to be. If someone needs to be a Captain but they're a patrolman then fine, they're just promoted. If they need a character accused of mass murder to run for mayor they just do it and don't do much to make it credible. The writing is regularly extremely basic and half the cast struggles to do much with it, so dramatic scenes often feel a little mis-timed or deflated.

Upside- The incorporation of comics characters is actually very good. The overall Deathstroke arc was excellent and other villains have popped up in Dark Knight-style 'real' versions that actually work pretty well. The build up to stuff like Suicide Squad was pretty natural, they make sure you aren't beaten over the head with stuff from the comics. The characters are a mixed bag but a few like Felicity absolutely shine. Her stuff with Brandon Routh this season so far has been a clear highlight (but then I've always liked him). I was even impressed by John Barrowman at the end of season one, he really did come off as a scary badass which I wasn't expecting. The structure of the show is very Lost-lite but its been beneficial in moving characters along and adding depth to the show, I think without that device they'd have really struggled.

The other thing keeping me in is the excellent rotating cast of guest stars from former cast members of Alias, Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse, etc, They've really done well in getting good people in be it for short runs or single episodes.

Overall, I'm a follower now, hooked it in alongside Flash and Shield as regular watches for now (both similarly basic but ok shows). None of these are going to blow your mind but in a fairly bleak run of shows at the moment they're doing enough to keep me interested.

Oh, and I hate Laurel Lance. Her dad I went from liking to disliking as he lost all edge and interest, but Laurel is just a miserable malformed lump of character problems and not remotely likeable.

I think the biggest problem with Laurel is that she's not given anything important to do. It was only highlighted when Sara showed up and Laurel went abruptly downhill (and downhill from boring is basically just frustratingly useless). But I'm optimistic about Laurel finally getting her Wildcat training and becoming a proper vigilante. Katie Cassidy is a good actress; she made a demon likable in Supernatural. If she's actually allowed to kick ass and have fun at some point, things should turn around for her.