After Earth

Rotten Tomatoes Scores:

Hackcock: 40%

Shark Tale: 39%

I am Legend 69% (Okay, not that sucky but not that special either.)

Anyway though, if the film is a success, it will have nothing to do with the Director. It'll be Will Smith. Considering Shyamalan is a joke nowadays, it'll be if more people want to see Will Smith than if people want to put up with a Director who peaked early.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Why are people still hiring him? Who does he have naked nazi orgy pictures of? He's doing films for Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Touchstone, Columbia Pictures, it can't just be one guy he's got something on. I'm serious, nobody gets to make a streak of shit films like this without making a shitload of money, and his just don't so something must be up. He doesn't even seem like he has the kind of personality that would be good at networking, like McG. He just continues to book projects with ZERO...GODDAMN....REASON.

Well after the disaster that is After Earth they're not going to make up the money they didn't make in the US overseas. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a Will Smith film so poorly promoted. It's like they designed it to fail. Regardless, Mr Night isn't going to get his hands on money projects any time soon. I'm amazed anyone wanted him after Airbender.

I don't think all the blame goes on him this time:

Although not credited on the finished film, co-writer/producer Will Smith was responsible for much of the movie's direction. While Shyamalan was primarily in charge of the blocking (composition of shots, placement of the camera) and the visual aspects of the film (color and design), it was Will Smith who personally coached Jaden Smith in his performance and dictated the development of the story and the way the on-screen action would unfold.

I guess Will Smith sucks as a director, but given previous evidence it's not like Mr Night would have done it better.

Will Smith is like someone booking a wrestling promotion and trying to put his kid over as the top babyface. It very rarely works. The Von Erichs managed it I guess, but it ruined a lot of other guys through resentment.

Jaden would have been better off getting smaller roles, winning parts for himself and developing his own career without his dad so obviously pushing him on us all. Maybe he'd wind up as Colin Hanks, maybe he'd be Keifer Sutherland or maybe he'd get to be a Michael Douglas. At least he would have done it himself.

This was a vanity project when you get down to it. Will and Jada were producers on the movie also. This was Will wanting to do a movie with his son and his way of trying to catapult his son's career. While I feel Shaymalan will get the majority of the brunt from this in the press, The Smiths aren't going to come out of this smelling like roses either. This is going to be the only Will Smith summer blockbuster movie since Wild Wild West to not do so hot. Smith needs to find another Pursuit of Happiness, a small project. Jaden needs to not do movies his family chooses. Jada needs to pat attention to her own career, maybe find a good pilot for the upcoming season. Willow, if your family asks you to do a movie, say no and do more terrible music about using your hair as a deadly weapon.

The movie's hope will be word of mouth. Next week, the only big openings are The Internship, a PG-13 comedy, and The Purge, an R-Rated horror film. Nothing too big. If The other films from this and last weekend don't warm over before then, then it might have a chance to increase it's draw before it gets lost in the 4th of July ramp-up.

It's getting lost. Two week until Superman, the advertising for that is going to dominate and After Earth isn't going to get good word of mouth. Couple that with Fast & Furious 6 coming out and After Earth is DOA.

It was also produced by Jada's younger brother and James Lassiter (Smith's business partner), a guy who only produces movies you haven't heard of or movies by Will Smith. It's a real family affair.

If I sounds like I'm breaking my promise to see every film before I can criticise it then I say this- I will see After Earth, I just don't want to have to pay for it. I'm just getting ahead of the curve.