Episode 82

RSS

A lot of people hate Bidmead on the classic DVD range. I love him. Yeah, he's smug and incredibly self-important. However, when he says that things had gotten FAR too silly under Graham Williams and that things needed to be put right, he isn't wrong.

And Stovepipe, while I've heard all the commentaries and don't specifically remember that exchange betwen him and Lalla, it's totally in character for both of them. Lalla is every bit as capable of being obnoxious and smug as Bidmead, so yeah, they spark off each other quite a bit when they disagree.

Found it:

Ward: "How could you get rid of K9 and the sonic screwdriver? You removed all the fun from the show!"

Bidmead: "Exactly. Now the Doctor has to use his wits instead of a gadget."

Ward: "The TARDIS is a gadget."

Bidmead: "Ah, yes, but that is unpredictable.."

Ward: "Exactly my point. Magic."

As for sillyness, I actually really like Season 18, but a good deal of it is because it's got a lot of sour Fourth Doctor. Is that weird?

A lot of people hate Bidmead on the classic DVD range. I love him. Yeah, he's smug and incredibly self-important. However, when he says that things had gotten FAR too silly under Graham Williams and that things needed to be put right, he isn't wrong.

And Stovepipe, while I've heard all the commentaries and don't specifically remember that exchange betwen him and Lalla, it's totally in character for both of them. Lalla is every bit as capable of being obnoxious and smug as Bidmead, so yeah, they spark off each other quite a bit when they disagree.

In the state of decay dvd. You can really see the bad feeling between Bidmead and Terrance Dicks.

The strange thing is that many of the people who hate Bidmead. Also love Andrew Cartmel. Who is just as, if not more smug and self important. The "cartmel masterplan" fans. Are really defensive of that era. But often bitch about other eras, and other doctors.

The strange thing is that many of the people who hate Bidmead. Also love Andrew Cartmel. Who is just as, if not more smug and self important. The "cartmel masterplan" fans. Are really defensive of that era. But often bitch about other eras, and other doctors.

Very true. I like Cartmel a lot, but the man has RABID, die-hard fans who venerate him like nobody's business. And he's every bit as capable of smugness as Bidmead, to be sure, but to me it's the cult that surrounds him that turns me off.

Very true. I like Cartmel a lot, but the man has RABID, die-hard fans who venerate him like nobody's business. And he's every bit as capable of smugness as Bidmead, to be sure, but to me it's the cult that surrounds him that turns me off.

It's actually not that bad. We have cookies and punch at the Friday meetings, you should come by.

I kid, I kid. I'm also a big fan of what Cartmel did on the show, but not to the point of deification. He put a lot of what was great about the last two seasons into motion, but you gotta also give credit to Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, and writers like Ben Aaronovitch and Marc Platt.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was stuck in the tardis and had a choice out of peri or mel then there would be no choice. Sorry but one important quality of a female assistant that is much overlooked is the need to look like you can fill a bikini. Only one winner here.

It is just a shame that Nicola Bryant wasn't allowed to talk in her real voice because that faux-US accent is so annoying. Shame they won't ask her to go back to re-dub all her scenes.

With regard to this season, I think Trial benefits from the low expectations you have going into it because it really is not that bad. Not a classic but the best of Colin Baker.

If I was stuck in the tardis and had a choice out of peri or mel then there would be no choice. Sorry but one important quality of a female assistant that is much overlooked is the need to look like you can fill a bikini. Only one winner here.

You say that now but just by having Peri trapped on the TARDIS with you, she would find something that wants to mate with her that you would have to save her from. Every five minutes. For eternity.