Episode 83

RSS

In "Time and The Rani," Sylvester McCoy, the final classic-era Doctor, makes his not-so-grand debut by wearing a Colin Baker wig, pratfalling, playing the spoons, screwing up common phrases, and stopping The Rani by letting her escape. Also, Dan has feelings about the opening credits (and they're not warm or fuzzy), and an old friend returns to the show. [ 1:39:14 || 47.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_083.mp3

I don't have a problem with the title sequence tbh :o but the asteroid bit did make me laugh, it does go with the music and can totally see how that could annoy someone and the wink at the end does look a bit smug or something. i normally ff the titles tbh i am far too impatient :D

Pretty sure this was the last doc7 episode i saw, i don't think i would of liked him much if this had been the first, but never know i do have strange tastes :)

you probably seen this already, but have a link to a better regeneration :)

oh and i don't think the doctor bumped his head, i think mel offed him, she's far too nice got to be a secret psycho :o and the Rani is the mistress of disguise

When I saw that sequence for the first time, my thoughts were that it managed to check off every cheezy and corny mid-late 1980s television title sequence cliche you can think of!

I mean it's almost like watching a sitcom's title sequence, like Third Rock From The Sun (yeah that's mid-1990s, but I needed something with sci-fi elements) or something!

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but I really love the TV movie sequence and theme. It just had a grandness about it that screams "THIS IS A MOVIE!" Maybe I'd be all "HEY TONE IT DOWN A BIT" if everything carried over to the show that it never was, but for a movie it works.

I don't have a problem with the title sequence tbh :o but the asteroid bit did make me laugh, it does go with the music and can totally see how that could annoy someone and the wink at the end does look a bit smug or something. i normally ff the titles tbh i am far too impatient :D

Pretty sure this was the last doc7 episode i saw, i don't think i would of liked him much if this had been the first, but never know i do have strange tastes :)

you probably seen this already, but have a link to a better regeneration :)

oh and i don't think the doctor bumped his head, i think mel offed him, she's far too nice got to be a secret psycho :o and the Rani is the mistress of disguise

Oh wow, that was awesome!

ah it's working now.

a good episode, although I couldn't disagree with Dan more about the theme and titles...I really do love them. The logo isn't a fave, but i don't mind it (and prefer it (and the theme come to that) to anything the new series has brought us so far). I'd happily listen to that theme on my Ipod any time :-)

I'd also disagree about McCoy, I think he's a pretty good actor, although he does have a couple of limitations...mainly he's not as effective at scenes where he needs to be angry. this first season though, he and the show are both finding their feet, and ti's not really till towards the latter half that it settles down...Still after that, the 2 seasons that follow are some really good stuff (for me, of the 8 stories there's 4 absolute classics, 2 good, 1 average and 1 awful story)

(I think) I read that Pip 'n' Jane weren't under the belief they were writing a story for Colin, but that as they had no experience writing for any other version of the Doctor (not to mention that they had no idea who would appear in Time and the Rani), they pretty much did so by default.

I've heard them say both things. Obviously, it's been 25 years, and so their memories are probably kind of hazy. The most recent version I heard them say, on the Time and the Rani DVD, was that they thought it was going to be Colin. I seriously doubt that based on the timeline, and at the end of the day it probably doesn't matter. It's simply one more thing Pip and Jane will have to answer for in the afterlife.

Also, to give you an idea of how creaky this show was at this point in terms of look and storytelling style: Episode 4 of this story aired on the same day as "Encounter at Farpoint". Obviously TNG had more money behind it, but when you see what TV was capable of in comparison to what Doctor Who was giving us, I really don't blame the BBC for being embarrassed by it.

I'd also disagree about McCoy, I think he's a pretty good actor, although he does have a couple of limitations...mainly he's not as effective at scenes where he needs to be angry. this first season though, he and the show are both finding their feet, and ti's not really till towards the latter half that it settles down...

That's exactly it. I think he's great, but I don't like when he's forced to do angry. Except for "Unlimited Rice Pudding", wherein he's just ripping into the Daleks with a vocal impression. At least that's what I think he sounds like there.

The one thing that Season one had that made it stand out from another season was a distinct lack of Dr. Pulaski.

I've always preferred Pulaski over Crusher, but that could be because she was basically a female Dr. McCoy and / or because I like Diana Muldaur's character on LA Law.

are you guys going to review scream of the shalka when it comes up?

Mike and I have never discussed it. In my opinion, it's kind of borderline. When it came out, it was intended to be canonical, and then that changed the instant the 2005 series was announced. It's ostensibly an animated series, but it's BARELY animated, it's a webcast, and reads more like an audio show. If we do Shalka, then do we also have to do the Death Comes to Time webcast? And then if we do that, do we do the Real Time webcast, which was done in tandem with Big Finish? Then that slides us into Big Finish itself, which is outside our purview. At this point I honestly don't know.

But yeah, I vaguely like Time and the Rani but that's because I love The Rani. It's weird.

The Rani has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. She has it in her to be a freaking AMAZING character. I love the idea of her, and Kate O'Mara is an absolute trip. I would love it if they brought her back, and I'm saying that as someone who actually thinks bringing old stuff back should be kept to a minimum.

However, this is a terrible, horrible, no good very bad story. She was much more interesting in The Mark of the Rani, where she was an amoral scientist with a believable agenda, than here, where she's a mustache twirler who wants to take over.

This really is one episode where you wouldn't even need to hear the podcast in order to know Mike and Dan's opinions. It really must rank as one of the worst stories of the classic era. it really has nothing to recommend it except that my local second hand shop will pay twice as much for this dvd as it would for Genesis of the Daleks. Will be going down there tomorow.

As mentioned, the Rani is a great character hamstrung by being in two very weak stories.