Episode 498

RSS

It's April and the guys are talking about books with February cover dates (Archie Giant Series Magazine #479, Archie #628, Tomb of Dracula #68, American Vampire #22, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #461, and Disney-Pixar / Muppets Presents: The Treasure of Peg Leg Wilson), but you'll forget and forgive the delay once Dan and Mike begin to gush over comic book ads of the 1970s. Also, these world-shattering questions are asked: Who the bloody hell are The Sylvers? Did Lionel Richie drop in for a photobomb? Is that a Sea-Monkey's tail or something else? And what does Josie offer Alan in an ad for Hostess Fruit Pies? [ 1:31:30 || 44.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_498.mp3

I have not read them since I got them about three years ago as monthly Boom singles but I think Kermit was not actually Kermit in that issue. He had hired a lookalike for a sketch but then he just sort of took over and tricked people into thinking he was Kermit so he could find the treasure or something to that effect.

I also disagree with the assessment of Mickey but you know... Disney Stockholder. :/ They can make loads of things with him but I WILL agree that they don't know WHAT to do with him. In the late 00's they tired a lot of new things on House of Mouse (the cartoon where Mickey owned a nightclub that showed new cartoons of he and his friends) and before that there was Runaway Brain in 1995 but since then he has become much more vanilla to play to both the preschool and corporate crowds. It was almost shocking when Epic Mickey came out because he was being spunky and adventurous in a yes I'm going to say epic way that he hasn't in a VERY long time but one game is not going to rewrite what the public perception of him is.

-Skyler

I haven't really seen much of Epic Mickey (I don't own a Wii) but what I've seen indicates it's the Mickey from the 1930's - the Mickey that was actually interesting and funny to some degree. The Floyd Gottfriedsen Mickey. If they continue down that vein in time he'll become relevant again and I'll happily sign on.

I haven't really seen much of Epic Mickey (I don't own a Wii) but what I've seen indicates it's the Mickey from the 1930's - the Mickey that was actually interesting and funny to some degree. The Floyd Gottfriedsen Mickey. If they continue down that vein in time he'll become relevant again and I'll happily sign on.

My parents won't let me take the Wii (family item even though I'm the only one to use it) so with school I haven't played much but yes he is very much a 1930's Mickey in fact Warren Spector asked them to not have him speak aside from gasps and noises of that kind which may even place him in the late 20's. I suppose Spector had said he could make Mickey an action hero but it was tougher with his voice.

Also this is the Muppet Wiki page for the Fake-Kermit. It seems to say most of what I recalled. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Kismet_the_Toad

-Skyler

There have been some good non-video game uses of Mickey since the 30s, mainly Runaway Brain and House of Mouse but I will agree that the character usually only works with his cast. Donald almost has to be there as a foil. The Mickey of Epic Mickey and The King in Kingdom Hearts are more dynamic characters all around really. Hell, Kingdom Hearts Mickey is pretty Fucking bad-ass.