Episode 500

RSS

With but a few exceptions, comic book characters aren't known for capturing the hearts and minds of the entire world. But, nearly 75 years after his debut in Action Comics #1, Superman remains a worldwide icon. Be it the countless DC comic books or the radio show, the Saturday morning cartoons or the timeless movie starring Christopher Reeve, the music inspired by the character or the near-perfect costume, or simply the message of "truth, justice, and the American way," there's something about Superman that has inspired us all. That said, today, to celebrate the 500th episode of Earth-2.net: The Show, we proudly present our tribute to the creation of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster: Superman! [ 9:22:55 || 270.6 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_500.mp3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

Congrats to Mike. And to Jenny, James, DW, Ian, Dan, Preston, Hannah, Will, fucking everybody. I know I'm missing a few.

500 episodes is a pretty amazing accomplishment, and I'm proud to have been involved in some way. In fact, the podcast itself (not just the site) has played a pretty damned important role in my life for the past almost 6 years.

It was May 2006 when I won a small lawsuit and bought an iMac. Only then, did I decide to dive into some podcasting. Rue Morgue Radio came first. In fact, I listened to that as downloaded mp3s before I even understood subscribing on iTunes. Then Distorted View happened. Then I thought to look for comic podcasts. I grabbed a lot of them. Very few lasted more than a portion of an episode. A few lasted a few months. A couple lasted a year or so. E-2 is the only one I still subscribe to.

#24 was my first episode. It was an interview with James about an anime convention (I think). Which is weird, because I am not a fan of anime. But something about the frank real discussion of people who weren't trying to impress others intrigued me. I kept listening.

#49 was my first contribution besides the occasional piece of feedback that may or may not have been read on air. I can't remember. I listened to this tonight. I cringed. I remember recording it. It was the first time I used Garageband for something besides guitar recording and never selected my plug-in mic as the audio in. Instead, my voice was recorded through the internal mic. Add to that, that my 6 month old baby Cade was sleeping in the room next to me and my newly pregnant again wife was sleeping in the other next room. So what the segment (Civil War-themed) basically is, is me whispering a good two feet from the internal mic that Mike must have had a bitch amplifying. The reviews were pretty good, as they were off the cuff without notes too. Not bad if I do say so myself. Though, I'm sure Mike must have removed some uhms and ahs.

#81 Davin's birth announcement, just signifying how much my life has been intertwined with this site for so many years...

#86 The very first Dread Media segment! I remember putting this together on my work laptop on Audacity in my in-laws' basement. It starts at 17:30 and Holy Shit! I had forgotten all about the original theme song! I wrote and recorded that one myself too. I still whisper a little bit in this one. Started this as a segment to cover stuff other than film! Seeing as I wrote a weekly column about movies, I didn't want to talk about them on the show. That didn't last long. There's a maddening high-pitched hum and I even used the "ting!" sound effect! I say not so nice things about Powerman 5000 (who I now enjoy more than White Zombie) and discuss a film directed by Spider Zombie which turned into a Death valley show that didn't come out until last year.

#92 works out to really be the first episode of Dread Media. I've always said that DM started as a segment on The Show, but this is clearly an episode.

#100 the first huge landmark episode where I contributed "Shred Media" where I talked about my favorite anthropomorphic animals, I think.

#109 Good. Fucking. God. The first Countdown episode. To date, this is the longest podcast episode I've ever been a part of. Yes, 100 was like seven hours, and 500 is 9.5 hours (!) but you have to remember, this is five hours of Mike and I talking about four comics in ONE SITTING. At the time, living in our brand new townhouse that was the first time I hadn't been a renter, the upstairs washing machine hose broke, flooding the walls and floor downstairs. Which resulted in my wife and two kids fleeing to her mom's house for six or so weeks left me at home teaching summer school and hiding in my room for the time I was home drinking beer and eating take-out as industrial fans whirred loudly out side my room 24/7. I slept probably a total of forty hours in those six weeks. It was awful. Perhaps that was part of my poor judgement in deciding to discuss shitty comics for 4-5 hours every month. Though, I remember being optimistic after this episode. As you all know, that optimism was not only crushed, but led to a bit of a hatred for modern superhero comics that I'm still struggling with.

#119 This was a DM segment that taught me a lot. I'm going to listen back to this episode. Originally, I recorded the conversation between myself and Toren from the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. After finishing, I listened back and found that I had only recorded MY END of the conversation. I emailed to apologize and he told me to send him the questions. So what you get with this episode is me asking questions to his previously recorded answers. It's clunky, and a huge mistake podcast-wise, but only solidified how great a guy Toren is, and made this already big fan very happy.

#121 The first Is It Wednesday Yet?! Nuff Said!

#141 My friend and collaborator Davinder and I are interviewed by Mike and Jenny in person at the Wizard World Chicago show! Fun stuff. Very surreal.

#213 Warren Ellis references the IIWY? segment in the first issue of the newuniversal:shockfront series. I'm sure it was real too...

#268 Reddick & Sims debuts to talk about the Kirkman fiasco!

#304 Reddick & Sims: The '90s. Still one of the most fun conversations I've ever had podcast-wise. A great one.

#327 1st Issue Special debuts. I'm proud to note that it was my idea. IIWY? was all Mike.

#335 1st recording with Ian discussing the Daredevil Director's Cut. This is another one of my favourite conversations podcast-wise. It happened in a week where I think that I Dessed out the main page.

#381 Maybe the greatest stunt The Show pulled off. Again, all Mike's idea. I didn't quite get it until the night we recorded it. I thought our covering of the Blackest Night oneshots was going to be a Last Issue Special, when what we were really doing all along was resurrecting Is It Wednesday yet? Brilliant, Mike. Dumb, me.

#390 Reddick & Sims write in show. Good shit. Another really fun conversation! I hope R&S comes back sometime soon. I miss talking to Mike.

#409 I got wasted and said some really awkward, weird shit that Mike seemed to love.

#438 In a weird switcheroo, Preston (my replacement) welcomes me back as Mike's replacement for 1st IS. We had a good rapport and unfortunately epically podfaded far too soon. But it just happened at a time when my career was insane and my writing was nil.

#500 This episode also features two of my favourite recordings for the show. Chris and I do some great geeking out on some psychedelic horror and DW and I record...well...you'll have to listen. Dropped D fans will certainly appreciate it. It might just be my favourite episode of Dropped D yet.

Well, that took an hour and a half...of self-indulgent bullshit that I don't blame you for not reading. That was more for me than anyone else anyway.

Kudos on 500 Mike. And thanks for everything you do.

Yeah, this podcast has been a major influence on me, too. It was E2TS that saw the pilot of what would become World's Finest Podcast. It was from E2TS that I first got to record with Damien (Wonder Woman and the Saw reviews) and where the Tirades podcast became its own show. Mike, Ian and I reviewed all the live-action Batman movies in the Dark Knight discussions, which I still listen to regularly even today. And I always loved co-hosting the Mainpage Award shows because it gives us a chance to reward the hard work of so many people involved on the site. Hopefully next year I can record a show again. I'm trying to graduate in Fall, so I've been super busy this year and school and work have been taking up most of my time.

Ultimately, as I wrote in my WFP Retrospective article, WFP (and vicariously E2TS) helped me get over my fear and loathing of hearing my voice. No small feat, I assure you. This site as a whole and the podcasts mean more to me than I think I can accurately put into words.

I've just finished this now - some would call it a wasted Saturday, but then I enjoy getting wasted on Saturdays whilst listening to podcasts!

Obviously Mike deserves major props for maintaining a community, audience and list of contributors which has allowed for Earth-2.net The Show to have gone on for so long. On a personal level, whilst I was a forumite from the beginning, I really started contributing when I answered the call for a Comic Cook Movie correspondant. At the time (early 2006, if memory serves) I was doing student radio and was learning how to pre-record shows when I was unavailable for my schedule slot. My Bailrigg FM years really helped ground me in audio production and as my segments went on, I got more and more confident with editing and dropping in audio. From there came For Your Ears Only, and off the back of that, Dave first approached me about doing what would become Shake & Blake.

It's through podcasting that I've had the pleasure of working with/speaking to Mike, James, Des, Tom & Derrick, Dave, Adham, Pandy and Richard, not to mentioning meeting fellow community members in Tom, Dubs, Hannah, Will, Preston, Michelle, George and Patrick, as well as speaking with yet more people over the forums and Facebook. It's a pleasure to be able to do what I do for this site and its podcasts, and I hope to be able to keep contributing for a fair while yet!

Loving the episode so far, fitting that it's 9 and a half hours saluting a superhero whom simply is, well I think a certain wrestler from Canada puts it best with THE BEST THERE IS! THE BEST THERE WAS! AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

Grumpy Old Fanboys:

-Surprised with the coverage Mike & Dan gave for the JLU episode "For The Man Who Has Everything" that the fact that Action 775 is the basis for the upcoming Superman vs. The Elite DC Animated Film.

-Love the line "You can tell this is pre-Crisis because Jason Todd is not a douche!

-I don't know if Mike knows this, maybe Dan will, but there is a Silver Age story, I want to say this was written by a returning Jerry Siegel before everything went completely south for his relationship with DC, where Kal-El was thrown back into time, and back on Krypton before it exploded (before he was born even). And he met his parents and fell in love with an actress friend of theirs. THAT is whom Alan Moore had Superman married to in the story!

Well, thinking about that, and granted the whole point of the Black Mercy is your heart's desire and all, but considering she is introduced as a contemporary of Jor-El, and if Superman's desire was Krypton never exploded...well lets just say it's very Demi Moore-Ashton Kutcher! :holyshit:

-Quick note, there is one other star of the Action vol 1 (sigh) #1 non-Superman strips beside Zatara that at least survived the pre-War era. Tex Thompson was brought back in various Justice Society Earth 2 stories during the later part of the Bronze Age Justice Society/All Star Squadron stories.

BTW, anyone interested in those stories, a great podcast called Golden Age Superman goes in-depth on Superman's co-stars (well, not as much as the Superman story of course, but enough to get what is going on issue-by-issue) and the creators behind them.

Dropped D

-Fun stuff. I wonder what did not make the cut?

-BTW, if Mike ever comes to you two and says he wants to do the same thing for a Marvel character, STAY CLEAR OF ANYTHING BY ICARUS! There is a reason why that album apparently was released as an Asian bootleg. I want to say it surfaced in Japan, there is a whole backstory about why the project was shelved, and not because it sucked. I've also heard a rumor that Paul McCartney was commissioned to write Magneto & Titanium Man for the project (1971), but that has not been confirmed, and possibly could be based on one man's opinion of McCartney and trying to make 1+2=4 or some shit.

For the lack of a better title, Will Ackerman on the Radio Show

-Great segment, hit just about all the major points, though I think the kryptonite used for Bud Coiler to take a vacation may be more of an urban legend. As well, there was an unpublished story called The K Metal From Krypton that was written in the very early 40s that predates the appearance on the radio.

-Have you've heard clips of the promotional previews that they did for potential advertisers? They even made dummy ads for a cereal called "Blank-os" to give a feel for how the ads would go!

-Has nothing to do with anything, but I had to smile at the aircheck used at the end, specifically the mention of Captain Midnight. There is a sports radio show host in New York who used to have the Grave Yard Shift, as it's referred to in that business, of roughly 12am-5am. And he'd use the opener for that Captain Midnight radio drama as part of the opener to his show.

Just finished listening to the episode and HOLY FUCKING WOW.

CONGRATS MIKE AND THE REST OF THE EARTH-2.NET FAMILY NOT ONLY FOR REACHING EPISODE 500 OF THIS SHOW, BUT FOR MAKING IT ONE OF, IF NOT THE GREATEST EPISODE OF THE SHOW TO DATE!

Grumpy Old Fans

-I've enjoyed every single edition of this segment so far, especially the recent one with Archie, vampires, and Disney, but this one was in a completely different league. It was informative, entertaining, and had a healthy helping of raw emotion (especially from Dan's end), and like another portion of this episode, provides some required reading for casual Superman fans like me.

Dropped D

-I'm not currently listening to the Dropped D podcast, but may have to get over my musical prejudices and do so if there are moments half as funny in those episodes as those in this segment, especially Des' Springsteen and Dylan spot-on impersonations and Damien's band boat challenge.

Superman in Radio, by Will Ackerman

-Wow, Will. Based on this and the most recent segments of Hey Gurlfriend, you've really been upping your game as a podcaster. Loved your discussion of the radio show's relationship to The Seduction of the Innocent and the diminishing of the KKK. Also, the Kellogg ad in the middle of the segment was uproariously funny.

Dying in the Gutters

-Great look at another Superman story (loosely speaking) that I'll have to pick up. Also liked Chris' analysis of Grant Morrison (which, along with my reading of his first eight or so issues of New X-Men, helped give me an appreciation of his place in the comic book world that I haven't had up to this point; more on what I thought of New X-Men in another thread) and hope that the Faora in The Man of Steel is at least half as awesome as you say she is.

Saturday Morning 101

-Very glad that this segment isn't on indefinite hiatus. I've never liked what little I've seen of the Superfriends and generally have a bias against Silver Age (or SIlver Age-y) comics and comic book adaptations, but I'm damn well gonna seek out the Luthor-as-a-kid short and the Superenemies episode for their sheer ridiculousness.

Waiting for the Trade

-Like this episode's edition of Grumpy Old Fans, this edition of Waiting for the Trade was the best Tom and Chris have done yet (topping even their end of year edition) and I'll definitely be picking up the ones that they recommended.

Superman (1978), by Ian, James, and Mike

-An excellent, very spot-on review that deserves to be put on the same pedestal as those of Batman '66, Batman '89, and Batman & Robin. Glad that the three of you liked the film, albeit to varying degrees, and hope this first Man of Steel Discussion isn't the last on the show.

All in all, this episode not only pays loving tribute to Superman across the board and shows the people who host the show at the top of their game, but also inspires interest in the Superman mythos for the casual fan and, I'd imagine, the uninitiated, as well as interest in segments of the show or Earth-2.net that you're not already listening to month-to-month. I've been listening to it for most of the day and, like most episodes of Earth-2.net: The Show, will give it a second listen within another twenty-four hours of downloading it, in spite of its sheer length.

Here's to a phenomenal 500th episode, and a happy 500 more!

Beer%20Toast.jpg

Please never compare the actual comedic ability of Richard Pryor to anything he may have done in movies. He is recognized by acclimation as the greatest stand up of all time

Oh my. Who said this? If it's Wilson, I'd understand, given the whole UK thing.

BTW, you do know the reason why Pryor was off his game right?

One of the Salkinds saw him do a bit about "Black Superman" on...I want to say The Tonight Show and thought his raw and edginess wouldn't be a bad thing to go with.

Unfortunatly Pryor nearly kills himself freebasing, so he spent a little while trying to reinvent himself and be a bit less of what made him the legend that he was.

Please never compare the actual comedic ability of Richard Pryor to anything he may have done in movies. He is recognized by acclimation as the greatest stand up of all time

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of any of Pryor's work, but I don't base my opinion of his entire body of work solely on Superman III. It'd be like judging The Daily Show/Community's John Oliver solely on his turn in The Love Guru!

But no, I've no problem with Richard Pryor.

Granted the episode is a bit shy of 9 and a half hours, but I'm surprised no segements on live action TV was produced. Oh yeah the George Reeves show and Smallville were brought up in passing, but it is a major part of the whole Superman in the media that is missing.

But again, it would have stretched the show out even further, so I guess its hard to say what segment should have been removed for it.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of any of Pryor's work, but I don't base my opinion of his entire body of work solely on Superman III. It'd be like judging The Daily Show/Community's John Oliver solely on his turn in The Love Guru!

But no, I've no problem with Richard Pryor.

BTW, to be fair, I haven't heard anything to suggest that you, Mike, James or anyone on the show had engaged in the manner that Delete is suggesting. Granted I have an hour and a half to go, but other than James just simply saying he isn't a fan of Richard Pryor (which most likely is based on Pryor's career period as Mike asked such as much rather than one movie role) I'm not hearing what I think Delete is saying.

Saturday Morning 101

-Alright, a fun segment. I know it's beyond Dan & Jon's era (and sadly, well in terms of same Saturday morning experience, everything from Superman: The Animated Series forward really is more weekday afternoon, after-school, cartoon fare, yes I say there IS a difference) but have either of you've seen the Ruby Spears late 1980s cartoon?

-Waiting for The Trade

-Hmmm, I wonder what the take on The Death storyarc would be if read in installments, or in conjunction with the Funeral For A Friend and Reign of The Supermen stories (The Omnibus does this, though it hacks up the Funeral For A Friend bridge) rather than isolated in it's own trade paperback.

BTW, check out the podcast From Crisis To Crisis a Superman Podcast, episodes #s 117-122 for a take on the single issues of the storyline.

Because of studying for end of term exams, a wicked hangover yesterday and needing to catch up on sleep I have not been able to finish #500 yet but I'm nearly half way. It's probably going to be another one of the shows that replays on my iPod over and over again. I'm enjoying it immensely and love that it's about Supes. In some circles the hate for Superman is so great saying things like 'the glasses thing is stupid and he has every power' or that he's just 'too good'. It's nice to just enjoy being a fan for 9.5 hours and not have to defend him to people who just don't 'get' him.

I want to thank you for all the shows over the years, the columns, the segments, the reviews, forums and the chats. Earth-2 is a very special site with some very special people. So here's to you, Mike and company! Let's look forward to hundreds more shows over years of great fun.

-Skyler