2012-2013 Television Season

dc20willsave

Honestly, I'd rather there be no real lead up to the reveal. Just have them meeting be the final scene of the show. When sitcoms (or shows in general) know that it is their final season, it always feels like they drastically change everything toward the very end just because they can. There are no longer repercussions for actions so why not throw every rejected idea we ever had in the last six episodes. I get wanting to build to an 'epic' end, but it always feels different than the series as a whole.

Also, I have about 6 seasons behind at the moment, so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 10th season would have made virtually no money for CBS. Once a series is on long enough to go into syndication (which HIMYM did a few years back), the cost to produce (largely due to actors' salaries) vs. the profit it generates tips further and further into the "not worth it" area, unless it's a ratings juggernaut that commands enormous advertising rates, which to all appearances HIMYM doesn't. To be honest, I'm shocked CBS was willing to put up the cash for a ninth season, which indicates that they have nothing coming down the road to replace it with.

Lord knows they had to back the Brinks truck up Jason Segel's driveway.

I would like that too. After eight seasons of buildup, there's nothing they can give the viewers that will live up to it.

However, it's been established that Ted meets the Mother at Barney and Robin's wedding (in fact, we just had the shot of him watching her play bass onstage last week) and that his first kid is born in 2014. Unless season nine somehow manages to take place entirely during the wedding reception, it's more likely they will meet at the end of this season and then have a year of "new couple" stories.

it's more likely they will meet at the end of this season and then have a year of "new couple" stories.

Didn't they start season 8 with that? All of them being happy, and future Ted saying "Three of the relationships wouldn't last till the end of the year."

I'm still enjoying the show, but yeah, I don't know what they can do with a ninth season. Except actually make Ted not suck, which would be nice.

I'm amazed people hung around for 8 seasons. By confirmed the 9th is the last, they could get some pop in the numbers from people wanting to see the build up. I reckon they'll reveal her in the final episode, but she'll be in most of the season, in a Wilson from Home Improvement kind of way, so that you don't know who she is. I hope they don't, but surely we've all got a bad feeling about this one :)

One of the things that's attracted me to the show is the adherence to continuity. I have run into like a handful of comedies where the first couple of episodes are classics that indicate what's to come. Mind you, it also helped that I didn't start watching HIMYM until Season 3 so I didn't have to go week to week for the first couple of episodes.

At its best, HIMYM is a spectacularly written show with fantastic acting, and is the epitome of a hangout show. However, it can also be lazy, and reminds me a lot of Buffy in that I often find myself thinking "this could be my favorite show if only the lead character weren't on it."

However, Harris, Smulders and Segel are three of the funniest people on tv right now.

I have to say, the first three series of HIMYM were average at best, with only NPH being an interesting character. I think it's when they broke up Ted and Robin and started teasing Robin and Barney that the show found its feet, and became interesting and funny. As most of those early episodes just contained generic sitcom jokes.

I'm not coming out to say the show should have ended years ago, but at the same time, they're really dragging out who the mother is, and it's starting not to make sense why he's telling such an intricate story. I thought the story was of how Barney and Robin got married, and he calls them Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin because he married Barney's half sister, but then they just threw that idea out of the window, just to have a mediocre episode of Ted banging Barney's sister, to almost get revenge for Barney sleeping with his mother.

Also, Smash is back for its second series next week, and here's an article on how the first series started off strong, and ended with the show runner, and most of the writers being sacked. http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/how-smash-became-tvs-biggest-train-wreck

Because Supernatural is not only getting some of the best ratings on the network, they've actually grown in the last year. The show has also dug itself out of it's creative rut. Not only that, but the dvds sell pretty well and it's owned by Warner. If Jared Padelicki and Jensen Ackles are willing to keep on doing it, there's literally no reason not to.