Episode 89

RSS

Doctor Who: The Movie, an often-overlooked entry in the life of The Doctor, is indicative of its time and network, and it suffers for it. That said, both Dan and Mike agree that Paul McGann is a wonderful Doctor. Eric Roberts' portrayal of The Master, however, they're not so keen on. That may not be his fault, though. Before closing out the episode the guys also look at the comedy sketch "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death," and the documentary More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS. [ 2:28:34 || 71.4 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_089.mp3

Just FYI. Bulls did win 6 titles with Jordan/Scottie Pippen/Coach Jackson. It was split between 2 different 3-peat reigns, 1991-1993 and 1996-1998.

The Houston Rockets actually slipped in between to win back-to-back titles during the year Jordan "retired" (tin hat wearing conspiracy theories surround him being suspended due to gambling) and his comeback half season.

It could be that I watched the movie before listening to E-2TS #500's review of Superman, but I couldn't help but see some simillar things with how The Doctor got Grace and Chang back to life and the infamous spinning the world backwards affect at the end of Superman.

Just seems a bit out of nowhere, and how did that bring only them back to life as opposed to everything else that happened.

A question for Dan, after hearing his comments about enjoying Rowan Atkinson's portrayal of the Doctor in 'The Curse Of Fatal Death'...

Have you seen any episodes of the various series of 'Blackadder', and particularly the special episode 'Blackadder: Back And Forth' which involves a home-made time machine?

If you don't know this show, maybe I ought to mention that the first series also stars BRIAN BLESSED, an episode of series 2 features Tom Baker and that every episode was co-written by Richard ('Vincent And The Doctor') Curtis...

A question for Dan, after hearing his comments about enjoying Rowan Atkinson's portrayal of the Doctor in 'The Curse Of Fatal Death'...

Have you seen any episodes of the various series of 'Blackadder', and particularly the special episode 'Blackadder: Back And Forth' which involves a home-made time machine?

If you don't know this show, maybe I ought to mention that the first series also stars BRIAN BLESSED, an episode of series 2 features Tom Baker and that every episode was co-written by Richard ('Vincent And The Doctor') Curtis...

I have the entire series on DVD. LOVE that show. I honestly think that "Ink and Incapability" is in the running for funniest half hour on TV EVER.

i'm just about to listen to the ep but I remember being really hyped for this and also there was talk of Spielberg doing it first, I saw some concept animation of a dalek where the top half was human-ish and the skirt unfolded into spider-type legs. I have to say as much as I love Spielberg that probably wouldn't have worked.

Regarding the Doctor having a human mother...

In Series 6, we see that two humans can actually produce a time lord baby under the right conditions. So perhaps time lords and humans aren't actually all that different? Maybe time lord DNA is just time-dilated human DNA? This might mean that the Doctor's mother could have been human, but he's still a full time lord genetically, just like River Song.

So, the idea is that, if it weren't for this movie, there might not have been enough notice of a greater fanbase so that BBC would bring it back? ...Would it be fair then to say that this movie was for Doctor Who what Batman & Robin was for Batman? :P

So...I take it then that FOX bungling the advertisement for a sci-fi project is a time-honored tradition?

Oh GOD...I actually thought Fatal Death was pretty funny. I dunno, maybe I'm just more juvenille. One joke I'm surprised you guys didn't mention was after the old Master slowly walks away with his walker, it cuts to the Doctor and the Companion running through a corridor at least three different times and the Companion cries, "Oh, they all look the same!"

Also, I almost want to see a full story dedicated to that Lady Doctor. Is that so wrong?

The girl and her Cybermen fetish is kinda interesting--many jokes came through my mind. The most appropriate for this board is probably, "If you hear dubstep in her bedroom...it's probably not dubstep."

Great episode. :)

i'm sure you guys have seen these but still worth a look a quick sketch by mark gatiss another fan who went on to write episodes

there's also one called the pitch of doom but i cant find it on youtube

also BBC 2 did a whole night of doctor stuff

for some reason part 1 wont work in the uk but here's the link from part 2

Just finished listening to the TV Movie episode...

It's a mess, ain't it? But it's a really well directed mess with some decent performances - particularly McGann's Doctor. And it's really watchable... strangely watchable, considering how messy it is.

There's lots of stuff people think fanboys and fangirls like, without any of the stuff they actually like. So, you get: gold dust, Gallifrey-in-the-constellation-of-Kasterborous, Skaro, continuity blah blah blah... but there's no soul to it. Or there is, but it's only there because the director has a really good eye for strange details and pacing and three out of the four leads are having a really good time. And that's the thing. As bad as it is, I still enjoy watching it. It's not even my least favorite Doctor Who story - by far. I'd much rather sit down and watch this one than some boring piece of cardboard like "Meglos" or some utter atrocity like "Time and the Rani." Or - lord help us - "The Space Pirates." Given a choice between this story and "Planet of the Dead", I'll choose the TV movie every damn time.

There's lots of stuff people think fanboys and fangirls like, without any of the stuff they actually like.

This is incredibly true. If you ask a fanboy "What do you want to see?" They'll usually say "Bring back the Yeti", or "More Dalek/Cyber wars", or what have you. Moffat knows that giving the fans what they say they want is the worst possible thing he could ever do. What fans ACTUALLY want is to be surprised, to fall in love with new creations and characters. The most memorable monsters in the history of the new series isn't the return of the Daleks or Silurians or anything; it's the Weeping Angels. The show lives and dies on new creations. Yes, callbacks to old things gives us that little fanboy tingle, but it won't raise the show's game.

I have the entire series on DVD. LOVE that show. I honestly think that "Ink and Incapability" is in the running for funniest half hour on TV EVER.

Baldrick, who gave you permission to turn into an alsation?

Am I really meant to believe Michael David "I'm thinking of your sister, Ian, because I'm horny" Sims is appalled by toilet humour? Michael David "Dick perks up" Sims dislikes Curse of Fatal Death because of one running gag about a shithole and a single fart gag? The same Michael David Sims who said that all the male Graysons look like they're packing socks down their unitards and that Superman deserves an extra point for "Miss TessMcBoobies"?!?!?!

Not all fart humour is hilarious, but then again, not all of it is needlessly puerile. The case for the defence:

terrencenphilip.jpg

:smilewinkgrin:

On topic, Dr Who the Movie was my first experience of the concept and to this day, the regeneration has always stuck with me - I even remember what I think was a Radio Times cover where McCoy hands the TARDIS key over to McGann. Obviously it follows TV Movie tropes, so the odds were against it being a quality product, but there's stuff to like in there despite the overall problem of the story in general.

As for Curse of the Fatal Death, Red Nose Day is the name for the biannual telethon associated with the Comic Relief charity, which Richard Curtis (of Blackadder, Vincent & the Doctor and many insufferable British romcoms) founded back in the 80s. Atkinson is a longtime collaborator so he normally does something for the event, and he was great fun in the role. The calibre of the story isn't just a comedic Moffat loveletter to Doctor Who, but also something mainstream enough for the Red Nose Day watchers. Sad as it might be that toilet humour is still revered in the present day, it works. Bear in mind that the best-selling newspaper on these shores has a topless woman on its 3rd page on a daily basis, the predominant mentality of the average Brit is very much lowbrow. That being said, I don't think the scatalogical humour was as overdone as Mike thinks. And I'm certainly puzzled by the fact that you both know of Absolutely Fabulous better than the aforementioned Blackadder - I might be speaking for myself alone here, but Ab Fab is a bit rubbish. There are worse British comedies, granted, but I'm not a fan.

And I'm certainly puzzled by the fact that you both know of Absolutely Fabulous better than the aforementioned Blackadder - I might be speaking for myself alone here, but Ab Fab is a bit rubbish. There are worse British comedies, granted, but I'm not a fan.

AbFab is better known on this side of the Atlantic because Comedy Central aired the living SHIT out of it in the 90s, and it became quite popular, whereas Blackadder was generally relegated to PBS. That said I DESPISE AbFab. Hate it. I thing it's screamingly unfunny shit, and it took years for me to discover that Jennifer Saunders was actually capable of being moderately amusing. Blackadder, however, is genius.

I freaking love this.

I saw the movie on Youtube last summer, and enjoyed it well enough. I can see how important things either don't make sense or are just straight-up BETRAYALS like the Doctor being half-human. I can't bring myself to dislike it however, because it's fun to view as another chapter in the Doctor Who canon. Having only seen a handful of classic stories and being fairly new to the game, it's a biased reaction to be sure, but it's still kinda cool like Dimensions in Time.

Stuff I thought was really cool mainly consisted of the beginning. I love the opening of the 7th Doctor quietly reclining with a book, an old jazz record and Jelly Babies. It's a nice image, especially knowing that he doesn't know he's going to his death. I though McCoy did a really solid job overall with what he was given. From what I've seen of his original stuff, I won't disagree that's he's not a strong actor by any means. I did think the hospital scene was really cool, when he sprung to life and told Grace straight up not to do anything. Other visuals like the TARDIS being bulletproof and the Doctor phasing through Grace's glass door really add to my enjoyment. Not standing up for any of the fail however, it's still fun for what it is and I think most people including you guys attested to that.

And I'm certainly puzzled by the fact that you both know of Absolutely Fabulous better than the aforementioned Blackadder - I might be speaking for myself alone here, but Ab Fab is a bit rubbish. There are worse British comedies, granted, but I'm not a fan.

AbFab is better known on this side of the Atlantic because Comedy Central aired the living SHIT out of it in the 90s, and it became quite popular, whereas Blackadder was generally relegated to PBS. That said I DESPISE AbFab. Hate it. I thing it's screamingly unfunny shit, and it took years for me to discover that Jennifer Saunders was actually capable of being moderately amusing. Blackadder, however, is genius.

I think Blackadder was indeed a great show. But I am glad it ended when it did. I felt series 4 was starting to get a bit formularic. Have they ever had Alan Partridge in the US. Or the great Chris Morris shows. The day today or Brass Eye?

I think it could have been a lot worse than what we got

That's certainly true! Gary Russell's book 'Regeneration' goes into detail about the earlier proposed scripts and storylines and they sound pretty dreadful.

And as for the 'series bible' they produced, words fail me...

To quote:

"I am Cardinal Barusa*... Time Lord Of Gallifrey" (* They couldn't even spell 'Borusa' correctly!)

""This is my official insignia, and my personal glyph...

... I have decreed that my adventures with the Doctor and his flying ship, the TARDIS, in our quest to find his father Ulysses the Explorer, be written down by a scribe...

...Ulysses the Explorer was my son. And, in turn, Ulysses had a son... who, in later lives, was called the Master."

(Riiight...)

"BARUSA: We have a quest... to find your father. Shall we get on with it?

DOCTOR: (nodding): So... what are we waiting for? Power up the Crystals, Cardinal... let's go exploring..."

(Please, make it stop!)