30 Day Comic Challenge- 2012 Edition

You Know Who

11th- A Comic You Hate That A Lot of People Like

Ex_Machina%2C_the_First_Hundred_Days.jpg

I actually haven't met anyone who likes the series, but it follows that there must be people who love it if it won a few Eisners and was around for 50 issues. The art is good, but it reads like a douchey liberal poli-sci major trying to prove how smart he is and the central character is a complete tool. Plus, it has the most forced use of the C-word that I have ever seen.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Diggle (the then-editor) was so angry when he saw it that he sent it back and refused to pay Miller his full commission. In paying for a new cover by another artist, he left a hole in the budget that had to be covered, so he wrote a six page story himself and put Jock on the art duties.

I knew there was a reason I liked Diggle.

I quite like Ex Machina but I can see where you're coming from YKW, I'm very on and off with the series. The non-political stuff is it's strength.

Wow. What the hell is up with Dredd's legs in that Miller drawing? He looks like a psychotic Mr Men character.

7th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Female Character

TinyTitans_45_Cover.jpg

Specifically Baltazar and Franco's take on Batgirl.

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate:

Batman_Year_Two_TP.jpg

Shit story, with a shit villain.

9th- A Comic With a Character You Don’t Give a Damn About

JUL100152.jpg

They tried to hard to make him Red Robin's Joker, and it failed. Terrible villain.

10th- A Comic You Like That A Lot of People Hate

76a1b0a905.jpg

Never really got all the hate for the book. Yes, Jason's return was handled stupidly, but the actual story is pretty fun.

11th- A Comic You Hate That A Lot of People Like

So tempted to put Wanted here, but I did it last year, and Kenny beat me to it. It's the book that made me realise Mark Millar is just a prick.

Anyway:

9162010-07-30_25_36_12-secret_six19.jpg

Gail Simone is a terrible writer, and the way she kicked her toys out of the pram in the last issue, was an insult to everyone who ever enjoyed the book. It's not funny, and she clearly is in love with Catman, and tries to ram him into everything, which never works. When Nicola Scott was on the book, the art was nice, but when she left, the book took a nosedive on the art as well.

12th- A Comic From Your Favorite Independent Comics Company

166486767.png

I quite like Slave Labour Graphics, partly for their output and partly for their very honest tagline: We pay you peanuts so that you can draw monkeys.

13th- A Comic From Your Favorite Comics Company, Period

216.jpg

Again, not a surprise, but with the anthology format there's probably been more characters that have been in 2000AD's pages than any other company bar the big two.

12th- A Comic From Your Favorite Independent Comics Company

scott-pilgrim-1.jpg

Oni Press takes more risks than almost any other company. They have some really, really unique books. Scott Pilgrim, Queen and Country, Secret History of D.B. Cooper, The Sixth Gun, the list goes on.

Ape-Dc-ComicJLA-Copy.jpg

Despite my recent complaints, I love the entire DC Universe. From Anarchy to Zatana, man.

14th- Favorite title to come out of the DC reboot

frankensteinagentofshade1.gif

Just a fun, awesome book. Lemire is great and Ponticelli's art is fantastic.

Gotham_Central_1.jpg

Despite the reboots and reality-changing events and sometimes being too Silver Age-y for my taste at times, the main things I like about DC (Batman, Watchmen, and Transmet) currently outweigh the main things I love about Marvel (Ultimate Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Daredevil).

14th- Favorite Title to Come Out of the DC reboot

batman1.gif

16th- The Comic You Can Quote Best

Mad_Love_cover.jpg

"There was only one time I ever saw dad really happy. He took me to the circus when I was seven. I still remember the clowns, running around and dropping their pants. My old man laughed so hard, I thought he'd bust a gut. So, the very next night, I ran to meet him with his best Sunday pants around my ankles. 'Hi, dad, look at me!' ZOOP! Then, I took a big pratfall and tore the crotch clean out of his pants! HAHAHAHAHAHA...and then he broke my nose."

15th- Least Favourite Title to Come Out of the DC reboot:

250w_new_52_the_savage_hawkman.jpg

Savage Hawkman. Not enough smashing.

16th- The Comic You Can Quote Best:

Scott Pilgrim, The Question and Batman can all go on the list, Cowboy Ninja Viking takes the cake:

999042-cnvp1_super.jpg

It's just stupidly quoteable.

18th- A Comic That No One Expected You To Like

New_X-Men_114.jpg

I seriously was gonna choose a Grant Morrison book for "Least Favorite Writer" before I read this run. Though it has its ups and downs, the good overall outweighs the bad and I liked that the writer not only brought in new villains and mutants who were outright freaks, but also that he spent more time on the characters' relationships and their fight for acceptance more than on outright superheroics. Although I wasn't crazy about a lot of the art (Bachalo and Jimenez being the only artists whose work I really enjoyed), I will say that Quitely is the perfect person to draw grotesque characters like Cassandra Nova and certain members of the Omega Gang.