Episode 523

RSS

Great episode,Mike. Glad to hear some love for this series, and I can't wait for more variety in topics for Earth 2 The Show.

Few things to say about this:

-I've heard Buccellato pronounced Boo-che-la-toe.

-Last I heard, The Flash is one of the biggest selling titles, so good to hear a lot of people are picking this up.

-Good point about what direction the art will take if Manapul and Buccellato leave. I had the same...fear, I guess, with Daredevil. I love Paolo Rivera, but he only takes a couple of projects a year for a good reason, and apparently he already left, with Khoi Pham taking over the art chores. Their art styles are very similar, but it just doesn't feel the same. Whoever does the Flash the next could either ramp it up, or just be the guy who came after Manapul and Buccellato.

I was interested to hear what Tom Deja thought at the start. I completely understand where Mike is coming from, the initial 1st issues were significant because it set the tone for the universe, and these first trades allow us to track the reboots successes and failures. Maybe it's taken over a little but as an individual it's down to Mike to cover what he has thoughts about. I think that it'll be most interesting to hear a 1 year retrospective on this universe as a whole from Mike and some other site members who've been reading it to cap off the whole thing.

As to coverage of other companies I'll agree with Tom to some extent, heck the first thing I ever wrote for this site was a review of vol 2 of Phonogram so you know I share his affection for that book. Even though Tom mentioned that he took stuff like WFTT out of the equation I'll admit that my lax schedule for that show in the last few months due to personal commitments has limited trade coverage for the site. One of the reasons I took over from Mike on that segment was to free him up to talk about what he wanted, and the ability to cover bigger industry-wide stuff was a big part of that. One of the perks on my end was bringing in Chris, someone who is almost wholly outside of the big two when it comes to comics. Whilst Mike is a great podcaster and a respected voice on this stuff it's tough for one man to provide that balance all by himself, and with WFFT back on schedule we're looking to help restore a little of that through placing books by 2000AD, Image, Dark Horse and all manner of indy companies right alongside Marvel and DC in our priorities.

That being said our next episode covers Justice League vol 1. I guess no-one's immune.