Ant Man

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time since Iron Man, I am no longer confident that an MCU movie will be worth watching.

To be fair, there were signs. The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor...

I liked The Incredible Hulk and Thor. I Sort-of like IM2; depends what sort of mood I'm in when I'm asked.

That doesn't mean I don't think Mark Ruffalo isn't a better fit, I just think his Banner is the result of what happened in the Hulk movie, especially the last few seconds.

According to Latino Review (who, bear in mind, are right only somewhat more often than they are wrong), the changes came from over Kevin Feige's head. Reportedly the movie as originally planned strayed a little further from Marvel Movie Formula than Disney was totally on board with (i.e., it looked and felt like an Edgar Wright film), and so they ordered script changes that Wright didn't like.

The language I'm hearing from all this: They hired Edgar Wright to make an Ant Man movie. Edgar Wright tends to make movies with some dry humor and jokes that tend to go over a normal American audiences head. They wanted big stupid humor since that sells more tickets. Wright probably refuses to dumb down his script and left. They go to get someone who can do some occasional satire but tends to operate more in Dick and Fart jokes AND since Kevin Smith is holding out hopes for a DC movie at this point, they go for that guy who works with Will Ferrel a lot.

Let me be clear:McKay has made some damn funny films, but he's less a filmmaker and more "the guy who brought the camera while all his funny friends goof off." For him to be taking over this project, which was shepherded by one of the most meticulous filmmakers working today is really, really not a good sign.

Nothing against McKay, specifically, he's just all wrong for this project.

That's the action credentials of this thing out the window. Sorry but without serious help or unless Wright planned all those shots out with idiot proof instructions and editing guides no way can McCay do it justice. Paul Rudd will be funny, but he would have been better served by being more Spider-man than Anchorman.

You got me there. Yeah, I'll be the first to admit, directors are a thing that tend to go over my head unless its someone big like Edgar Wright or Kenneth Brannagh so I never even put two and two together as to who the directors for Winter Soldier were. Okay then, I'll wait to see what McCay does. He does seem to work well with his star.