Guardians of the Galaxy

JackFetch

That was a lot of fun. It was exactly what it needed to be. I wish parents would learn to read the ratings before bringing their kids. Five minutes in the kid in front of me started crying because he was too scared and the whole family had to leave, and every time a cuss word is said kids went "ooh". PG-13 means it might not be appropriate for your six year old. There are tons of sex references and people getting torn to pieces.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel's best movie by a wide margin. Actual fun. Dialogue not forced. Beautiful special effects (except Thanos, I thought he looked weird). It was like Star Wars without Luke, but with two Han Solos, two Chewbaccas and Leia is a ninja assassin. That's how you make a fucking movie.

Also:

-HOWARD THE FUCKING DUCK!!!

-Dancing baby Groot

-Rocket Raccoon is an actual fucking character. Like, not a gimmick.

-Lee Pace's Ronan is the most black metal villain ever

-Most importantly, I saw a fucking Celestial eradicate a planet's worth of life in a flashback TO MAKE A FUCKING POINT!

Man...

So it was better than Winter Soldier? Or is that apples to oranges comparing them?

Apples to oranges, I think. Though I suppose Guardians is so unlike everything else out there (while Winter Soldier is basically a hybrid of the superhero and political action thriller genres, both of which are everywhere these days) that it might get a point just for originality.

I don't think you can compare the two directly. They are so different. GOTG is full of humor at every turn, with five or six stories that all intertwine and get wrapped up in the end. Cap 2 was a pure comic book movie that had a wider story with implications beyond just that movie. It had a few jokes, but had a pretty serious tone overall. GOTG was basically the Han Solo movie we all wished they had made.

So it was better than Winter Soldier? Or is that apples to oranges comparing them?

Two different movies doing two different things. Winter Soldier is very much a 1970s Steve Englehart Captain America story with a big slice of espionage thriller added. This is big dumb space opera. It's awesome that Marvel is getting a chance to show that while it's known for its superheroes, there's a lot more going on than that; Marvel's background in swashbuckling science fiction was a big part of its output in the 70s and 80s and it's fantastic to see it done so successfully on the big screen.

Furthermore, the fact that we've seen that they can do this gives me a lot of hope for their ability to bring Captain Marvel, who splits the line between both Avengers-style superheroics and GOTG space opera.

I like that the movie was set entirely in space and you just accept that yeah, this planet used to be full of life and now is a wasteland full of volcanoes and geysers, or of course this mining colony is in the head of a dead Celestial. All the settings just feel real, unlike most space movies where they are just reasons to spend money on CGI.

This is the most fun I've had at a movie in a long time. Our theater burst into applause at several points throughout the film. (All glory and honor to Nicole Perlman for that script; incredibly well done on the whole.) The last film I reacted to like this in the theaters was Pacific Rim last year.

I wouldn't compare Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, they're both two different movies with very different focuses and tones. However, both have a hot guy actor named Chris as the lead, a talking raccoon with eyeliner, and people made into living weapons against their will. :D

I'm honestly stunned at how well they were able to make all the disparate threads come together, and still make it a single coherent film. I heard someone compare this to Star Wars and that's not inaccurate in the feel and scale of this. (Also accurate: the AU where Andy Dwyer went to space instead of growing up in Pawnee.)

This went beyond all my expectations. This is a nice gateway into the cosmic portion of the Marvelverse, and it nicely sets up what I imagine is going to be Phase 3's focus on Thanos and the Infinity Gems. Great ensemble and individual performances, and there's honestly not a weak performance that I can pin down. Also, fucking funny.

The only thing I want more out of this in is that I wish that we'd gotten a bit more about Nebula and Gamora, but that can be saved for the sequel - or a spin off. Either/or.

In the top 3 of the MCU for me so far.

The only thing I want more out of this in is that I wish that we'd gotten a bit more about Nebula and Gamora, but that can be saved for the sequel - or a spin off. Either/or.

In the top 3 of the MCU for me so far.

Here's the thing. I consider Nebula to be the weak point of the movie. At least with Gamora we understood why she was breaking away from Thanos. With Nebula it was 'Oh you're going to go after Thanos? I can get behind that.' It was like she was talking about the weather. They could have edited her out and had Gamora fight someone - or several someones - to get to the thingie she had to destroy.

Brolin made the most of his brief time as Thanos. Pace chewed the scenery to slivers as Ronan. Karen Gillan's Nebula was just sort of...there. Didn't do all that much, didn't say all that much. We know she can act, having done so as Amy Pond, she simply didn't do that here.

I really liked Nebula. A good part of it could be knowing Karen Gillan and seeing how different this is from anything else she's done. But the vocal effects, the look and her performance in general all added up to a memorable character, at least for me. I do think that she needs a bigger role to play, and hopefully she'll get more stuff to do.

Went in with moderate expectations as I'm not a Marvel cosmic guy, and really enjoyed it! Above all else, I'd love to see a sequel with these characters, so Marvel definitely pulled off what needed to be pulled off. You're not wondering "Where's Iron Man?" or anything. If you're a newbie, it's virtually entirely separate from everything Marvel's shown up til now, so it stands on its own very well.

One of the things I really appreciated is that yes, Quill tried to kiss Gamora about halfway through, and she shut that shit down, and then it never came up again. The male lead and the female lead were allowed to end the movie as partners and friends.