Guardians of the Galaxy

JackFetch

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some random thoughts and questions:

Are the Infinity Stones all more or less the same? The purple Infinity stone and the (assumedly) blue stone (Tesseract) did basically the same thing--caused massive destruction and vaporized almost anyone who touched them. The red "stone" from Thor 2 took control of minds, but it was basically an object of destruction. I do hope this universe's Infinity Stones/Gems have more depth to them than just OMG EXPLOSION YOU'RE ANNIHILATED. I want them to all have a unique purpose--mind, soul, power, space, reality and time.

Speaking of the red stone, what happened to it now that the Collector's pad was destroyed? (Though I will admit I'd mark the fuck out if Howard the Duck got a hold of it...)

Also, does Loki now possess the Tesseract since he assumedly killed Odin?

So far, there doesn't appear to be a difference, but there's speculation we've already been shown a fourth Stone - Loki's staff from Avengers, which does seem to echo the power of the Mind Gem. Below is someone's best guess as to which is which so far.

tumblr_n9whyrnqkp1tud93eo1_500.jpg

And yeah, the Collector's pad getting wrecked does seem to put the status of the aether in jeopardy, unless they say what was done to it.

I have a theory that's pretty much based on speculation that Loki is running interferences on Thanos, which was part of why he took the throne. He assumedly at least has control over where it is, and he sent the aether to the Collector.

I saw it this past Friday and really enjoyed it. I thought Chris Pratt did a fine job. He had the right mix of funny man, action hero, and people person. All the rest of the cast did great and props to the animators on Groot and Rocket. In fact I just about loved the design of everything in the film from ships to characters. My only real point I might raise with the film is it didn't quite explain some things. Such as why the Nova Corps was so important and it kind of glossed over the war between them and the Kree which just ended. Still I picked up on it even with my casual knowledge about the Marvel U however I could see a regular movie viewer scratching their head.

I was also real interested in seeing Karen Gillan in her role as Nebula. Having not seen her as anything else than Amy on Doctor Who I was very curious to see her as a badguy. I was a little let down on how she didn't get to do much but what I saw I liked.

I'd rate it as a 9/10

I know that people get very meticulous about scientific accuracy, but... talking raccoon with a machine gun. I'll forgive a lot.

Basically how I dismissed every single one of my thoughts that started with "It wasn't very realistic when....."

The only thing I have any trouble with in the movie is the floating outside Knowhere, in space, without spacesuits. No idea why, but it really yanks me out of the whole experience and I'm no longer in there with them.

James Gunn wrote it. With his wife, I think.

Edit: Wrong. I assumed she was his wife in a dickish manner because she had no other film credits. Really, she's an up-and-coming screenwriter Marvel is trying out.

Edit again: To be fair, though. The thought process wasn't misogynistic; it was "who the fuck would give an untested screenwriter the scripting duties to a 200 million dollar film?" But that was before the answer was screaming so obviously in my head: "The same guy who gave the film to the director of Tromeo & Juliet."

I thought one of the prisoners was Mel Brooks and wondered why he made a cameo there. But now that you mentioned a Troma director was behind it

ed420441ea3f654e.jpg

I realized it was Lloyd Kaufman.

Fun fact: I actually told the James Gunn fact to my girlfriend, who said that she could see the connection.

Also, as was explained in the thread previously, the entire idea that you'd immediately die in space is an urban legend. You wouldn't be able to breathe, but it's actually less harmful than being held underwater, as there's no water to fill up your lungs.

I know. I've done a whole load of reading about what would really happen to someone outside without a spacesuit. I accept the thin atmosphere explanation. Its only a 2 minute sequence out of an otherwise perfect 2 hour movie.

It still yanks me out.

Also, as was explained in the thread previously, the entire idea that you'd immediately die in space is an urban legend. You wouldn't be able to breathe, but it's actually less harmful than being held underwater, as there's no water to fill up your lungs.

I know. I've done a whole load of reading about what would really happen to someone outside without a spacesuit. I accept the thin atmosphere explanation. Its only a 2 minute sequence out of an otherwise perfect 2 hour movie.

It still yanks me out.

I was more distracted by the fact that Zeldana was lying like a Disney princess after her ship was destroyed. Not floating upside down or having her limbs flailing about. I was too busy being captivated by the beauty of the no suit in space sequence to care.