S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically that's probably a result of Marvel saving that scene for Avengers 2. How weird would it be for the 90% of moviegoers who didn't watch SHIELD to suddenly have Coulson back and alive and have no one be confused by that?

And it justifiably makes sense; Coulson is a more valuable agent if he doesn't tell literally everyone that he's alive. They even implied at the beginning that knowing he was alive required "Level Seven" clearance. And I can buy that he'd want to tell the Avengers he was alive in person rather than over the phone or with an email. It was kind of a big deal, and he probably knows Fury used his death as motivation for the Avengers.

I don't care how many twists they pull. This show is still not good. I don't give a crap about any of the one diminsional characters, and even crossing over with the movies doesn't make it any better. At this point, even if Cap or Hulk show up and fight Hydra this show is a huge disaster for Marvel.

Yes. 100% agreement. I have come back to see what effects the movie has had on the show but I don't see myself coming back for a second season. For starters, they're going to have to call it something else because as everyone keeps saying to Coulson, there IS no more S.H.I.E.L.D.

I fully expect that the end result of the season is going to be Coulson and team restarting Shield as an underground organization, probably with a Sam Jackson cameo to drive it home. Season 2, if they get one, is "Let's rebuild Shield while running from the government."

What I'm basically saying here is Season 2 is looking to be a superpowered A-Team.

Finally caught up on this last night, and yes, it's definitely doing a lot better. The problem is that there are now only two episodes left in the season, and one of them is devoted to a character I honestly hope they're gonna off before the end of the season.

It's gonna have to make a hell of a case to get a S2 at this point, so much of this season was wasted. Granted, they were constrained in what they could do, given the interconnectivity, but I can still shave off five or six of these eps and lose precisely jackshit.

It's gonna have to make a hell of a case to get a S2 at this point, so much of this season was wasted. Granted, they were constrained in what they could do, given the interconnectivity, but I can still shave off five or six of these eps and lose precisely jackshit.

They seriously fumbled this season. They spun their wheels and went nowhere for two thirds of it, then crammed everything interesting in as soon as Winter Soldier came out. They needed to do a lot more with the top half of the season than they did, even knowing when the big upheaval was going to happen.

That said, there will be a Season Two. It's a property owned by Disney, filmed at a Disney owned studio, airing on a Disney owned network, which serves as a relatively inexpensive weekly forty-five minute advertisement for other, much larger Disney owned properties. It will have at least another year to keep doing what it's doing, especially now that it appears to have found its voice.

I never understood the "Its free advertising for Marvel!" argument. Marvel absolutely does not need this show to advertise their bigger properties like Iron Man/Avengers/Thor/Cap. Those movies are going to make boatloads of cash if this show is on the air or not.

And Knightwing, if you and I were friends and you came back from the dead I would expect a phone call in the first 2 weeks, buddy.

The live ratings aren't awesome, but the plus-sevens are halfway decent. It comes in third most weeks, behind The Voice and NCIS, which no one seriously expects it to beat, and beats Glee and The Originals (I know, big deal) pretty soundly. Unless ABC has a huge crop of new series it's excited about, I really think it's coming back.

I think they're different enough. Besides, it's better than the usual thing where one scientist character knows everything about science ever. SHIELD at least diversifies by having Fitz be the tech expert, Simmons be the biology expert, and Skye be the computer expert.

So, good things about last night's ep:

-Coulson and May rebonding and being awesome

-"Large file transfer"

-Old school spy tricks

-Fitzsimmons

Major issue here? I still don't give a fuck about Ward. If someone gets offed next episode, I'm sincerely hoping it's him. No clue what the hell the gameplan is to tie this all together going into next episode, either, really.

Also, remind me, did anything actually happen to the Rising Tide?

The first half of the finale was pretty standard. The second half was where I felt it got really good and had some good action scenes.

I like the new Status Quo and where they're going from here. I always figured the new Mission Statement would be rebuilding SHIELD. I feel vindicated on that front. I also like that, despite some moments of it feeling like he was going to switch sides, Ward stayed unredeemed to the end. I really hope he stays full-on villain for next season. The best moment of the episode though, hands down, was when it looked like Garret was going to go fill Deathlok only to get blown up by Coulson. I think I may have cracked up for a good 15 minutes there.

Overall, the first season of Agents of SHIELD has been a mixed bag. For most of the season, it had moments of being pure crap. However, in those final climatic episodes, it became something actually good. I'm cautiously optimistic for Season 2. I wish they could have tried as hard as they did at the end which is always going to be a failing. Still, if they try as hard for season 2 as ended up trying for the last half of season 1, this stands to continue being a decent series.

I think I agree entirely with the above sentiment.

The Garret Deathlok fakeout was a Firefly joke if I've ever seen one. Brilliant.

From what's been said here and there about the behind-the-scenes creative process, early on in the show it wasn't so much a thing of the writers not "trying" or "giving a shit," but honestly just not knowing what the hell they were doing until halfway into the season.

People have pointed out various points where the show "turned around" and became good, but really it started sometime around "T.R.A.C.K.S." (the one where Skye got shot), which was about the time in production when the creative team actually got feedback on the first batch of episodes and had time to reflect on what they'd been doing. From that point on, the story started progressing really quickly, immediately dealing with the Tahiti subplot that had been stretched out way too long already. From there—after a quick side-story with Sif and Lorelei—it went into the Hydra coup, which made the whole show more interesting.

So, really, the show just started off with 12 episodes' worth of not-having-it-together. Around episode 13 it was decent at least, and it certainly got a lot more entertaining with each new plot twist. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I dropped the show 4 episodes in because the show was crap. I came back for the fallout from The Winter Soldier and things had improved a bit. I liked the last few episodes.

I did however think to myself. 'Self, this is going to end the season with Coulson and his plucky little band going out and trying to rebuild SHIELD'. I hoped it wouldn't. I hoped they'd do something different. But I was right. Dammit.

I will be back for at least the first episode of Season 2 - and of course Agent Carter - But I really hope there will be dramatic shift in how the show is written and acted, or I will be leaving again.