S.H.I.E.L.D.

So, there's about fifteen minutes left in the episode.

I just... it's like when I started watching Dollhouse a few years ago, when it was airing on TV. This just isn't clicking with me, and it's borderline losing me.

Last episode was fun the first time you watched it, but the novelty wore off on the rewatch. It just feels like they're wasting the premise, and it feels like it's too... safe.

EDIT: The cameo was cute. But again, it seems like something tacked on to try and get us to stick with the show.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the Whedonverse equivalent of Voyager, high on the technobabble with indistinguishable characters. Do we need three science geeks? Firefly never had redundant characters, nor did Buffy.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Why are there three techs and two badasses. Everyone should fit a role. There are archetypes for a reason.

Exactly. Why not have Coulson, a science geek, a doctor, a pilot/driver, a spy, security/soldier, a diplomat/administrator and have the rookie be someone who got superpowers by accident/had them forced on them. In the opening mission they're the one being hunted down but in the course of the action they save a lot of lives. Coulson takes them on in acknowledgement that this is an arms race and everything is changing. That way you have a direct pov on the way the world now works and an instant story arc of someone trying to cope with how it affects them directly.

Second episode was better, and I can see why people would like it, but it's not quite doing it for me. The annoying characters of the pilot were less annoying, but as has been said above, the team doesn't seem balanced enough. And I also call bullshit on the villains. I doubt it was purposefully racist, but if Episode 3 doesn't feture an Aryan supervillain, the producers have a LOT to answer for.

I did like Fury's cameo, though. Just seeing Sam Jackson on a network TV show shouting at everyone totally redeems me watching the episode!

That was the one I was thinking of most, but I do think there's some other good stuff that deserves recognition. I mean, what other TV series attempts live-action CG like that on a regular basis and even barely pulls it off? Point being, if ABC wants to do the Hulk, they can. It won't look perfect, but it'll be more than passable considering it's TV.

Why bother with a Hulk TV show? It's already been proven that he doesn't work in solo movies, he's going to work better on TV? And don't bring up the Bill Bixby show, you can't tell those stories with the modern expectation of the Hulk. He's a sledgehammer in a case on the wall that's marked "in case of Avengers break glass". Leave it that way.

Best episode yet. Some genuine weird science (represented by some good special effects), some character arc stuff for Coulson, Skye and May, plus a genuine old fashioned villain origin story. I don't dig the notion of Skye just being randomly slotted as a field agent as though it wouldn't take years of dedication to achieve that, but other than that this was solid.

Coulson being unable to work a gun was a nice touch, he keeps mentioning that it's muscle memory but if he's a LMD or android then that muscle memory is no longer present. It's also clear that he hasn't been told he's whatever he is, so we're likely to get some sort of showdown with Fury once it's revealed. Foreshadowing!

Ditto on the "yay, this was an improvement" sentiment.

SHIELD, on the whole, is very bright and happy, both for a Whedon show and compared to the rest of the MCU. Seriously, even Captain America and Thor weren't this silly and upbeat. It's even bright for ABC. The music is the biggest example of that; it's literally telling the audience over and over, "THIS IS A FUN AND HAPPY STORY! :lol: " It's sort of like the USO bits from Cap: shallow and incessantly cheery. But with all of the foreshadowing, I'm wondering now if perhaps things are being set up for a darker turn later on, as tends to happen with Whedon shows. Maybe this early bright tone is meant to fit the idea of SHIELD's facade.

I'm afriad won't be watching this show again. Nothing in is bad, but nothing is good either.

I keep (perhaps unfairly) compairing to Stargate: SG1.

It feels like the kind of show i would have adored are an 8 year old. Just enough mystery to let the younger audence feel smart or supprised by the eventual revatation.

I'll join in the "Episode 3 was an improvement" buzz, but I still find Skye irritating, Ward bland, Coulson overrated and Chun Li sidelined. Not knowing who Graviton was (until a glance at wikipedia) meant I didn't have any fanboy bonus points working for me either.