S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was supposed to be security, but surely just dressing all those guys descretly would have worked better.

Also this was the episode where it became clear that Skye is actually quite thick. They just get through explaining that all the couriers had no idea whether or not they were carrying the goods, and yet she still suggests the thief must be psychic. Was she just doing that nodding thing where she's not really paying attention and waiting for her turn to speak?

Catching up with the last two weeks' worth of eps. Starting to figure out two things that are bugging me about this.

-SHIELD is coming off like the NSA/Homeland Security in how they're dealing with things, and that they're portraying this in a positive light is REALLY fucking creepy, especially given the current political climate. I know Marvel made a deal with the Air Force for the Iron Man movies, did they make a similar deal with Homeland Security for this show? Yikes.

-Our main cast is almost 90% white. The bad guys that they're dealing with? In all but one episode, they've been minorities. That's really... not okay.

-Our main cast is almost 90% white. The bad guys that they're dealing with? In all but one episode, they've been minorities. That's really... not okay.

Chloe "Skye" Bennet is half-Asian (her given name is Chloe Wang), so it's marginally more diverse than that, but you are not wrong. This thing of going around setting non-white people straight is a little disturbing.

-SHIELD is coming off like the NSA/Homeland Security in how they're dealing with things, and that they're portraying this in a positive light is REALLY fucking creepy, especially given the current political climate. I know Marvel made a deal with the Air Force for the Iron Man movies, did they make a similar deal with Homeland Security for this show? Yikes.

To be fair, there have been plenty of hints thus far that SHIELD as an organization is somewhat corrupt; it's just the main cast that's supposed to be heroic. Hell, they've already shown that SHIELD is manipulating Coulson, what with the lies about how he came back.

But yes, the moral grayness of SHIELD should be more front-and-center. But that kind of serious conflict is apparently not something that the show is interested in doing. Which is weird, because it's EXACTLY up Whedon's alley. I get the sense that in another several years, we'll hear about how Whedon & Friends weren't allowed to do what they wanted to with the show. This smells a lot like the kind of thing that Jeph Loeb has been doing with all the Marvel animated series, and it's awful.

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is planning another major connection with the Marvel Cinematic Universe's big screen releases as ABC today reveals that the November 19 episode, "The Well," is slated to crossover with events depicted in the upcoming Thor: The Dark World. The episode's official description reads as follows:

In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World," Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces--one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/180087-agents-of-shield-plans-thor-the-dark-world-crossover

So last night's episode started off in the usual "meh, whatever" way, then ended up becoming twice as good as anything we've seen from the show thus far. I was kinda shocked at the fact that I actually cared about the characters for the first time. Here's hoping it's a sign they've finally found their footing with the show.

I'll admit that Arrow didn't start strong (the first two episodes were a mishmash of clichés), but it's gotten a lot better since then. It's still a bit silly at times, but I do think it's genuinely good at this point. The season 1 finale certainly cemented it as a show that deserves some respect. It's no Breaking Bad, but it's decently good and it's fun.

Originally reported by Latino Review, Marvel has now officially announced that fan-favorite comic character Victoria Hand will be making her debut on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." starting with next week's episode.

Hand made her debut in comics in 2009 as a lowely accountant for S.H.I.E.L.D. but quickly rose up in the ranks and became deputy director of H.A.M.M.E.R., assistant to Norman Osborn (when he was running S.H.I.E.L.D.), and eventually the liason between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the New Avengers.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111080

I have no idea who this character is. She must have came out after I stopped reading comics. She looks like a sexy librarian, which is I assume why she is a fan favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really trying to have faith in this series, but it's hard when we are lied to. The "crossover" with the new Thor movie was only the opening scene with them combing through some rubble. Nothing else in the episode had anything to do with the movie. Yeah, it was about Asgard, but nothing from the movie like we were led to believe.