Episode 03: The Crow

RSS

Create the ultimate cast  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even though Mike enjoys The Crow for what it is, he has to agree with Shana that substance was neglected for style. Also, they can't help but wonder the following things: What was Top Dollar trying to accomplish, why was he sleeping with his sister, did Darla's transformation not stick, and why were Eric and Shelly friends with a child? To answer those questions in their remake, the plot is rewritten, new casts are assembled, characters are completely dropped, and relationships are reworked. You're either going to love this episode, or you're going to come at us with pitchforks. Hopefully the former. [ 2:10:02 || 62.6 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/forbetterorworse/episodes/forbetterorworse_003.mp3

I will start by saying that I still love this movie. Is it perfect? Not even close.

I am torn on if I want a remake. I think a good movie can be made from the basics of the story, but I fear they would go all CGI/3D on a new movie, which would really kill the tone of the film.

I really do like that T-Bird was not being the final kill of the gang. Even tho there is not set power structure with in the gang, I always imagined it being 1) T-Bird 2) Tin Tin 3) Fun Boy 4) Skank. I really liked that the movie didn't go 4-3-2-1, but went 2-3-1-4. Start from the bottom and work up is the common way to go. However, this play out in more of a kill in order of finding them. Did it work? I think it did. If for nothing else than the full circle nature of how he kills Skank.

Listening to Mike's rewrite, I am curious as to how you would handle the supernatural aspects? In your version, Top Dollar, and therefor his sister, don't exist. So there really isn't that character to say "Hey, Crow, Dead Things Alive" and whatnot. Do you introduce a character to do that (ie he seeks out a mystic), have the Detective/Sarah research the origins of Crows (internet, or if set in the 90s, library) or just drop it altogether.

The poll's been added.

I am torn on if I want a remake. I think a good movie can be made from the basics of the story, but I fear they would go all CGI/3D on a new movie, which would really kill the tone of the film.

Agreed. What makes The Crow work is that it's clearly made from models and sets, and is shot in a way that Hollywood no longer uses. It has a dark charm, and its otherworldliness comes from its obvious fakeness. CGI would ruin that.

I really do like that T-Bird was not being the final kill of the gang. Even tho there is not set power structure with in the gang, I always imagined it being 1) T-Bird 2) Tin Tin 3) Fun Boy 4) Skank. I really liked that the movie didn't go 4-3-2-1, but went 2-3-1-4. Start from the bottom and work up is the common way to go. However, this play out in more of a kill in order of finding them. Did it work? I think it did. If for nothing else than the full circle nature of how he kills Skank.

But, unless I'm mistaken, Skank didn't throw Eric out of the window? Had he, then it would be full circle.

Listening to Mike's rewrite, I am curious as to how you would handle the supernatural aspects? In your version, Top Dollar, and therefor his sister, don't exist. So there really isn't that character to say "Hey, Crow, Dead Things Alive" and whatnot. Do you introduce a character to do that (ie he seeks out a mystic), have the Detective/Sarah research the origins of Crows (internet, or if set in the 90s, library) or just drop it altogether.

At the time of the recording, I hadn't thought about that, but now that I have, I'll say this: Sergeant Albrecht needs to be the very analytical, by-the-books cop. He might break some rules, but he believes in A-to-B-to-C reasoning. Sarah, however, being younger and maybe into some darker things because she was a street kid and lost two very important people in her life, can dive into the mystical elements of resurrection. So she'd be my go-to mystic / researcher.

I don't think Shana's criticisms were so bad once they were elaborated upon more in discussion with Mike. I'm more of a fan of the film than she is, granted, but then my opinions are to come in an already-recorded segment of Dread Reel-lief.

Another good episode from you both - I'm really glad this is fortnightly, because it's definitely a highlight of every other week!