Jonah: Yip.

Booster: So, Rip told you everything?

Booster: You're not scared?

Jonah: Nope.

Booster: You think we can do this?

Jonah: Nope.

Booster: Then why did you join?

Jonah: I had a pair of fives. Your boss pulled a flush. He won.

Booster: He is not my boss!

Jonah: Does he tell you what to do?

Booster: Yes.

Jonah: Does he fix your mistakes?

Booster: Sometimes...

Jonah: Does he save your ass?

Booster: ....yes.

Jonah: I may be simple, but that sounds like a boss to me.

Booster: So, he played you in a card game to see if you'd join us.

Booster: What would you get if you won.

Jonah: See that little flying do-hicky you got?

Booster:.....Skeets?

Jonah: Yip. Was going to melt him down for scrap.

Booster: Good thing Rip won. Heh.

Jonah: Yip. One more thing. See that white fella.

Booster: Lobo?

Jonah: You let him know if he calls me a frag one more time, I'm going to do to him, what I did to that guy who did this to me.

Jonah Hex points to his eye.

Booster: I wouldn't tell Lobo that.

Jonah: Why?

Booster: Knowing Lobo, he'd probably enjoy it.

My final pick for the draft. As my team is done: Jonah Hex.

Jonah_Hex_Vol_2_63.jpg

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually joking about using the leftovers to make a new Justice League of Detroit and saddling Barry and Hal with so much dead weight that it's not ever funny. Assuming the two of them are still there.

I was thinking of drafting Jade earlier myself then realized that I like the former flame tension between Donna and Kyle better. It's the same reason for putting Lex Luthor on the team with Superboy. I want some weird attempt at Father-son bonding going on that Connor wants none of while Lex barely knows what he's doing. When I show who my villains are, I already have a scene in mind I want to describe.

"This espresso is wonderful."

"Quite," the elegantly dressed, otherworldly handsome man murmured as he put down the tiny ceramic cup. "It is one of the reasons I love Opal. You may think you have discovered everything, but once you turn a corner, a new treasure appears. I am most appreciative your ally sent you, Jason."

Jason Blood took another sip of the strong beverage. "If he had not asked, I would have volunteered. It's been too long since we caught up."

"Yes. As much as I value my friends here, they are still transitory. Only men of our peculiar nature can truly understand what it is like to be standing still as everything else ages around us."

For a moment the two men sat at the small table outside the cafe. They both in their way looked....timeless, both out of place in a small modern city like Opal and yet absolutely at home. There was a moment of silence as they relaxed. The dark haired man watched the people of Opal City pass by the window, a soft smile on his lips.

Finally, Jason said, "I must say, I was surprised you agreed so quickly. I was told I might have to persuade you."

The elegant man chuckled warmly. "The Dibneys told me people were recruiting for this venture."

"How are they?"

"They have taken to the whole 'Ghost Detective' roles quite handily, all things being what they are." The man adjusted his gloves. "And, quite honestly, I figured it is time for me to sally forth into the wider world for a bit. I love my city dearly, but even old dogs get the urge to roam. I know I will eventually come back here, but for now..."

Jason Blood nodded. "Your help will be most appreciated."

"I do have two conditions, Jason. Opal has to take precedence. I will gladly help you and your friends, but when the O'Dares tell me I am needed here, I must go to them."

"I am sure he will agree. And the other condition?"

"I will not wear a ghastly costume. No matter how Hope will beg me. It would just be...crass."

shade.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen....bringing class to a League desperately in need of it...THE SHADE!

Too tired to write the story bit, that will come tomorrow.

Terra01covercol.png

Atlee, the newest Terra, is a spunky young alien from "down under" (literally, her race lives beneath the earth and has limitless power to control it), who's striven to idolize Power Girl as much as possible, but is starting to come into her own as a superhero.

He was not on my list at all until Des swiped Major Disaster. I had started considering other questionable 'heroes' (amongst them were Black Adam, Nuklon and--for like five seconds of insanity--Sinestro) before I realized I could slide The Shade in there.

And I loooooooove the present Terra, both in her miniseries and in the Power Girl run by Palmiotti and Conner, so I'm all for that...

Incidentally, anyone have any idea who's the mastermind behind my little group? 'Cause he's my next pick...

Guy Gardner leaned back in his chair and put his foot up on the console in front of him, hands behind his head. "You really think this plan of yours will work?"

"As long as we get the people I tagged....and so far, besides you and me and Barda, two more are in." John Henry Irons replied as he checked the power grid for the new headquarters. "I asked Jason to reach out to The Shade. And I'd like you to talk to our last candidate."

"The one you ain't tellin' me about," Guy jeered as he took the folder from John's hand. He took a good look, rifling through the pages, an expression of incredulity spreading over his face. "You're kidding."

"Each of us--even you, Guy--has had trouble with reconciling their impulses with their general nature. Some of us have fallen on the wrong side of the law, and some of us have triumphed over their demons. But her shock to the system is recent; I worry she might lose the sense of self that made her an example for a lot of us in the business. On top of that, I wanted to make sure I had enough people on hand to contain those of us who are questionable. I'd feel a lot safer around Etrigan or Shiva if she was here to immobilize them."

"I don't know about this, Johnny."

"Trust me."

"I've trusted you this far," Guy said, closing the folder. "There's one thing I don't understand."

"What?"

"Why you?"

John paused. He contemplated his friendship with this brash, crude man, a friendship that reached back to before either had become a super-hero. "Just between us? I volunteered."

Guy laughed again. "You? Playing Father Murphy to a group of lunatics?"

John stepped down from the command platform of what he came to think of as The War Room. "I'm afraid this world is going insane, Guy. The way the villains have gotten crueler, more violent worries me. I had heard from Clark that the League was considering reactivating the covert ops program, and I remember how that went down the first time. I didn't want this new version to be a repeat of The Elite, only more ruthless. I figured I can use it as a way to help even the odds, get a couple of the guys who wavered from being crooks and killers to commit fully to our side."

"I don't know, John. Some of these people...they're too far gone."

John looked over his shoulder. He was convinced he and Guy were both staring at the same surveillance photo of Lady Shiva standing over her handiwork in Istanbul. It was decidedly messy. "I'm an engineer. Always have been. And I can make anything better."

"All I need are the right parts."

steel-1.jpg

"KAAAAAAAARRRRAAAAAAA!"

Kara was almost knocked onto the ground by the enthusiastic young woman who had tackled her from behind and wrapped her arms around her neck. She was probably the only one besides any Kryptonian who would've even been capable of doing so.

"Hey, kid." She couldn't help smiling as she swung the black haired woman around to stand in front of her; Atlee's bubbliness was borderline infectious.

"So, what am I to learn today about the human world? Another movie? Are we going to the store of strangely named furniture again?"

"Not quite. I know I've been teaching you a lot about human culture in general right now, but there's one thing that I'm not really going to be able to teach you myself."

Atlee looked slightly confused. "What is that?"

"Atlee, how many friends your own age do you have?"

There was a brief, awkward silence as Atlee looked at the ground, slighly shamefaced. "...None, really. You are... one of my only friends here."

Kara had had a feeling that this was the case for a while. And really, what Barbara was doing could only help Atlee more. "Do you remember Oracle? She's creating this new team -" Kara saw Atlee look up at her, a look of vague terror in her eyes, and she suddenly remembered Terra's run-in with the Dark Side Club. "No, no, I promise, it's not going to be anything like that. It's like... a school, really. Teaching younger superheroes how to use their powers, and how to work as a team."

"But I have you."

Kara couldn't help but feel a little pang in her heart at the level of faith Terra had in her. "I know. But there's only so much I can teach you, hon. Just give it a try? For me?"

Atlee looked Kara firmly in the eyes. "Okay. I trust you. I will try this."

Kara hugged the girl close. "I'll be there, too. It'll be okay. Now, how about we go get us some sushi?"

Terra01covercol.png

Atlee, the newest Terra, is a spunky young alien from "down under" (literally, her race lives beneath the earth and has limitless power to control it), who's striven to idolize Power Girl as much as possible, but is starting to come into her own as a superhero.

--

Oracle slowly wheeled through the halls of Arkham, trying to ignore the catcalls of the various inmates. Stephanie had wanted to come with her as soon as she had gotten wind of where she was going, but Oracle had refused. This was something she needed to do alone.

She stopped in front of a cell, and patiently waited for the guard to open it.

A huge hulk of a man lay on the cot in the corner, the cot barely able to take his mass. Oracle signalled to the guard, who was still hesitant to do so, but closed the cell door, leaving her alone with the man who had attempted again and again to break the Bat.

"Bane."

A slight, almost imperceptible nod of acknowledgement. She had a feeling that this would be all she would get for a while from him.

"So, great job on that latest attempt to break the Batman and bring Gotham to its knees. Really turned out well for you."

Nothing. Understandable, though: he'd almost killed most of the Secret Six in the attempt, if not left them for dead in his subsequent attempt to break out of police custody.

"She survived, you know. Scandal."

A brief flicker of his eyes. "She did?"

"Mm hm. Doing quite well, now. Her and Knockout and..." It was embarrasing, but she couldn't remember the name of the other girl Scandal had married, and had a feeling that Bane would take more offense to her calling her a stripper (she had been) rather than forgetting her name entirely.

He interrupted her anyways, rendering the point moot. "Why did you come here? To rub my face in my failures? I am quite aware of them."

"No. To offer you penance."

That had been the right term to use. Bane was no longer staring at the ceiling, and had turned instead to look directly at her.

"I'm forming a team of young kids. In a way, it's going to be a learning experience for them. How to get along with each other. How to work as a team. How to know their strengths and weaknesses, and how to use them in the right situations."

"Then I would seem like the last person you would want involved."

"Not really. Power Girl and myself will be on the team, as well, as mentors. I want you on it as well."

"Why? To serve as a warning for what will happen if they make the wrong choices? You could do that with any of the scum running the streets of Gotham."

"No. To show them that even if they do mess up, if they want it, redemption is possible."

A ringing silence from him.

"Plus, if I understand what Scandal told me when I ran into her and her wives, you have an ability to serve as a parental figure if you really want to. Some of these kids need that."

"...Alright. But no venom."

Oracle nodded. "No venom." Left unsaid was also the fact that if he attempted to go out of line, Power Girl was more than capable of kicking his ass. "Welcome to the team, Bane."

seriouslybaneisawesome.jpg

I can only imagine the conversation Jim and Babs have, as the pass in the hall at Arkham:

"Hey, hun, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, nothing, Dad. ...Just springing Bane, for... stuff... What are you doing here?"

"...Springing Jason Todd. Also for... Stuff."

"See you at Christmas!"