JLA Draft

dc20willsave

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You know you're crazy for thinking he'll cooperate, right?" Kyle says. Donna touches the panel, opening the door into the maximum security wing of New Kronos. It was designed to hold mad gods, world ending terrors. The man sitting in the cell in neither. Donna still doesn't trust him to be outside of the bars.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush. We need you. We would have just left you to go about whatever insane scheme you had boiling until you messed it up otherwise," Donna says, taking a chair, look the man in the eyes. Kyle watches from the corner. Tim and Connor are most likely listening in as well.

"You've put yourself in a bad negotiating stance, Amazon. You obviously have made a mess and you need me to clean it up. Well, so far you have shown no profit so I'm going to sit here another day and find another three structural flaws in this cell that I can exploit," the man says. He smiles.

"I've counted the number of times you've come close to beating him you know. 79. I have a theory from watching each time: you let him beat you on purpose. Hera knows, half of them are because of your own hubris. But then, there's something at the back of your head saying, 'If I ever kill Superman, then who will I beat then?'"

The man stands up and rushes violently at the bars. "If you think for one second that I'm letting that alien take my city, you're wrong!"

"That's why we need you. In the entirety of the multiverse, no one can stand against a Superman quite like a Lex Luthor. We need you to help us defeat a Superman," Donna says.

"Now you're negotiating. Here's my counteroffer. Let me kill the Superman you're targeting and give me the schematics for this ship."

"No." Donna replies, "How about time you get to spend with something you've already put hard work from that Superman took away from you?"

Luthor looks at Donna, "Like what?"

"Your son. He's listening in right now, probably angry that I just offered him as a bargaining chip. How about that?"

"Do you really think I couldn't find him on Earth anytime I wanted to? Smallville Kansas living on a farm with Martha Kent, posing as her nephew. You really aren't trying. Here's a counteroffer: I continue protecting my home town, not letting every single business that would raze it to the ground and driving Martha Kent out of house and home?" Lex sits down again, adjusting his cufflinks. A large crash resounds through New Kronos. Well, there went another wall.

"My final offer. I don't set off the nanobots that have already attacked their selves to your limbic system. They will effectively eat your memories, leaving you just a bald man on the streets without a penny to your name, wondering who you are," Donna says, smiling.

"Do I at least get to remember defeating the Superman you're after?" Lex says.

Donna smiles, "Sure, why not?"

Lex smiles, "Then it's a deal. How did you enjoy my book on making a deal?"

"It was dry and I swear there was a page just on how to keep clowns under control," Donna says.

"It's better than them killing you because you ignored them."

Lexluthorthemanofsteelnumberone.jpg

Lex Luthor is a genius. He's also a ruthless criminal obsessed with killing Superman. He has access to many weapons and power suits, far more technologically advanced than thought possible by modern man. He is also the best criminal in the world at cake based crimes and that's terrible.

"What the hell are you doing here, Booker?"

The voice echoed through the massive space in the almost empty warehouse.

"Here about a job."

"For me or you?"

"Both of us."

"I'm interested. Go on."

"You know the deal. No specifics until you're in, but it involves the assassination of a warlord."

"Been there, done that."

"No, the assassination has already taken place. There were...complications."

"Was it that Bhat guy? When you were running with those guys that took on Superman? Trying a turn at heroics?"

"It was. And yeah, Bhat."

"What do you care about his people? You could turn that whole country into a sinkhole. Wouldn't be a loss."

"I don't care about his people; I care about the person we framed for the job."

"Well now I'm intrigued."

"You in, then? I'm running with some cats who could be a little squeamish when it might come time for bullseye, know what I mean? It'll be a cool quarter mill for two days work."

"'Could'...'might'...that's the problem with some people Booker, they need a sure thing in their life. I'm about as close to a perfect shot you'll find. Alright, I'm in."

354594-147569-merlyn_super.jpg

In a handsome suburban neighborhood, a completely average, if slightly nice house stood. It was the American dream, a big yard, tree out front, white picket fence and red brick chimney. In the yard, four freaks walked the narrow path to the door. The Question, The Huntress, The Red Hood (still handcuffed) and Frankenstein. Huntress spoke first.

Huntress: Let me talk to her. She's the weapons expert we need, and she's going to respect us more if I do the talking.

Red Hood: Why?

Huntress: Barda is big on the whole “Warrior Woman Sisterhood” thing, just... let me handle it.

Frankenstein let loose a snorting laugh.

Frankenstein: Why is every woman I meet obsessed with being a warrior? There is honor in other pursuits.

Question: Leave me out of this. I want no part in what either Barda or Helena will do to you.

Huntress knocked on the door, which opened, revealing a small, gray haired man. Oberon, friend and manager to the Frees.

Oberon: Oh, crap. Hey, Scott, there's some super-freaks here for you!

Scott Free, better known as Mr. Miracle walked to the door. He smiled politely and spoke:

Mr. Miracle: I'm afraid I don't have the pleasure of knowing you folks, can I help you?

Huntress: Your wife and I did some work together with Oracle, we're actually looking for Barda.

Scott frowned.

Mr. Miracle: My wife, is... indisposed at the moment. She's handling another mission with some Leaguers. What do you need?

Red Hood: It's fine, we needed an expert in alien weapons. If Barda isn't here, we don't need to be either.

Mr. Miracle: Wait, I do know you, don't I? I didn't think a pair of handcuffs could hold Robin.

Hood grimaced, threateningly leaning into Free, teeth bared.

Red Hood: One, don't ever call me Robin. Two, I could bust out after about eight seconds, problem is, Huntress would shoot me inside of four.

Huntress: Fact.

Free smirked.

Mr. Miracle: I know a thing or two about alien weapons, maybe you folks could use... a Miracle...

The Question sighed, audibly.

mrmiracle.jpg

Mr. Miracle is the son of New Genesis' Highfather. He's an inventor, adventurer and the greatest escape artist in all four worlds.

Rose Wilson--who was one of my favorite obscure Titans back before Geoff Johns made her pluck out her own eye for daddy's love--alllllllmost made the cut. I had considered her for the spot that became Lady Shiva's...

And Des...your stealing of Major Disaster out from under me prompted me to take an alternate from a comic series I feared I would never wish to try to write, and I suspect my team is better because of it. At the very least, it's gained a real sense of genteel class...

I'm coming close to picking a league just because they're my favourite characters, but I promise it's all about how they'll interact as well. Besides, if I was blatantly making my idea team with no regard for how they'd work Holden Carver would be on it already.

The last 2 are going to be super-tough though. I need to make my roster both not a sausage-fest AND include some basic league requirements from an iconography POV.