Episode 99

RSS

The Doctor reunites with Sarah Jane Smith to defend the world from an alien race bent on cracking it open ("School Reunion"). Then, The Doctor, Rose, and Mickey must save Madame de Pompadour from futuristic robots ("The Girl in the Fireplace"). Topping all that off, there are lots of e-mails, barely any curses, and someone has a cold. [ 1:41:48 || 49.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_099.mp3

I wrote a little fanfic many many many years ago (a little while after The Hand Of Fear) that had Sarah Jane meeting The Doctor many years after he dropped her off. One of the first things she did was tell him off for landing so far away from Croydon. I think I picked somewhere in Scotland too. :) And I had The Doctor say exactly what he said on the show when Sarah did that in the cafe.

As it happens, when Sarah Jane did do that on the show, I said 'But that's near Croydon, right?' about a second before Tennant did...

• 3 weeks later...

Re the whole Rose's panicked family not calling her when they thought she was missing (which came up again near the start of the episode). I took it to mean that until the Tardis had landed and the mistake had been made, the phone calls to Rose would not have been made either. Because the Doctor's actions that resulted in her supposedly going missing had not happened yet, the phone calls hadn't happened either.

Plus from her own perspective she was gone a very short period and in a linear sense she wasn't gone long enough in her own timeline to be considered missing. Assuming her timeline and the timeline at home ran parallel until the mistake there's no reason to assume they would flag her as missing in that short time.

That would have totally worked. They could pan down to the phone she forgot on the console with 117 messages on it as an extra flag to the audience when she leaves the Tardis. Of course that also means that every time she goes to the future and hasn't returned home yet she exists in a world where she disappeared, so every time she landed ahead of 2005/6 she'd get a flood of tearful messages asking where she is.

There's a reason they rarely get specific about the nature of Time Travel on this show. Causality is a bitch monster from hell.