About episode 569

RSS

I'm reminded of the Thomas Jefferson quote - “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”

I tend to avoid political discussions as a rule, but I have pretty radical beliefs, to the point that some could define me as an anarchist, meaning that if I were to have a discussion on politics with anyone on this site, there would be something that we wildly disagreed on. And this is coming from someone that can safely call 3 or 4 different people here my best friend. To be offended is a choice, not an obligation. It's certainly not a reason to think anyone should not say something because it offends you, let alone on a website that they solely own and operate. Oppression of free speech is something that I get irrationally angry about, and never would I demand anyone not have the freedom to say whatever they want. That's not because I'm better than anyone. It's a basic expectation I have for the human race; an expectation that leaves me frequently disappointed.

Mike did what he did because he's a unfailingly nice person. I can't say I would have done the same and anyone that would have expected or demanded it of him should reevaluate their lives.

Let it be said that I love DW.

What they said.

But I'd like to say this for myself, Mike put a disclaimer in the description for the episode, if Mike had dropped in some political comments in the middle of the episode, without warning, then I'd agree it was controversial. But to me, whenever someone gives you a warning "Discretion is advised" and you listen/do it anyway, then you don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to down to complaining about the content.

Mike does this for free, and if he wants to use his own podcast to discuss his own views, then he can, we're not being forced by gunpoint to listen to him and every comment he makes, so unless you want to come around and sponsor an episode and say "Mike discuss this" then let the man do whatever the hell he wants with his own podcast.