Shot Glass of Rocket Fuel: 2000 AD Progs 1808 - 1811

RSS

Borag Thungg, Earthlets, and welcome to the second edition of Shot Glass of Rocket Fuel, my 2000 AD review column. Last time I mentioned a wonderful narrative device that I don't believe had ever been used before. It's one that made amazing use of the anthology format, and must have required a massive effort to coordinate; it turned out that three of the strips (Judge Dredd, The Simping Detective, and Low Life) were actually connected. That may not seem so shocking, given they're all set in the same universe, but Mega-City One is a big bloody place. On top of that, Dirty Frank was on the moon!

To read more, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/shot-glass-of-rocket-fuel/shot-glass-02.php

Their work is collected under ABC Warriors: The volgan War, although quite a bit of it is Mills reworking and expanding stories from the original 70s series. The first volumes look like they're out of print unfortunately. I think the highpoint of the series is definitely the double page, portrait of the Volgan's biggest machine: the Stalin. Think of a Titan from Epic 40,000 and you should have an idea of its scale.