PS3 news

Missy

Sony has just announced God of War Collection for the PS3, a Blu-ray compilation of the first and second God of War games, both of which you will recall were originally made for the PS2. The press release says the games have been "reworked... at full 1280x720 resolution" and "remastered with anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system." There's also trophy support for both games, so even if you played them in their heyday, there's some new stuff in here for you.

Destructoid is reporting the comp will be out in November and will run you the nice price of $39.99. This is certainly a good way to get Kratos and friends implanted back into the public consciousness, since God of War III is still a ways off into 2010.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ps2-god-of-wars-hitting-ps3-on-blu-ray-this-fall/1666/

I honestly don't understand why more companies don't do this since they took backwards compatibility out of most of the systems. Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy X and X2 in a compilation would sell like crazy.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't understand why more companies don't do this since they took backwards compatibility out of most of the systems. Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy X and X2 in a compilation would sell like crazy.

I totally agree.

I think in the case of the titles you listed, it might be because Square has a tendency to remake their games after a long while. Kingdom Hearts would make sense as a re-release when KH3 is ready to come out (which won't be for another 3-4 years, considering that Nomura said that he's finishing FFversus13 before he starts KH3).

Also, downloads are the way of the future. Lucasarts is putting a lot of their games up for download on the Wii Virtual Console, and I can't imagine that they won't put classic PS2 games like Bounty Hunter and The Clone Wars on PSN and XBLM.

Sony is the developer.

Yes, but that's not quite what I meant. I don't think that the actual people behind the game update are the same people who made the no-backwards-compatibility decision; those are very separate divisions. I've heard interviews with the people behind GoW; they really only want to get gamers the best experience possible; they wouldn't want to take out backwards compatibility.

It's possible that the GoW remake was a suggestion/order from Sony HQ, though, I suppose. It seems unlikely, however, since this seems to be more of a love letter to GoW fans (and future fans) rather than a normal remake. (PSthree-make?)

• 3 weeks later...
A document detailing an alleged meeting between SEGA and Sony Computer Entertainment America has been discovered through an accidental leak on an open public relations server.

Spotted first by French website Objectif-Sega (via NeoGAF) the meeting, which supposedly took place on August 6 2009, highlights a number of ideas and goals SEGA is looking to implement on Sony's gaming platforms, including the possibility of bringing full Dreamcast titles to PlayStation Network, a new Sonic collection on Blu-ray, and a special Japanese import download store.

A SEGA spokesperson told IGN "no comment" on this leaked information.

Here are some of the highlights from the document:

* Sony's motion controller is set for a March 2010 release date in Japan. SEGA is working with Sony on possible games to integrate motion controls, including Virta Tennis.

* SEGA is looking to bring a collection of Dreamcast titles to PlayStation Network, saying they'll provide a list of games that Sony can then pick and choose to have exclusively first before, presumably, being released on Xbox Live.

* Marked "confidential," Sony apparently wants to sell "all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc),"

* A Bayonetta collector's edition is also in the works, which is to include an action figure. A demo for game is also discussed for around the December holiday, with the game's ship date currently planned for January 5 2010.

* SEGA is considering releasing full Japanese games in a special import store on PlayStation Network, including the Yakuza series. These titles would be priced between $10 to $40, and could receive localized menus.

* A new "Best of Sonic" Blu-ray disc, with all the old sonic games on one disc is mention. Possibly priced at $99. SCEA is interested in PSN exclusive modes and power ups.

http://games.ign.com/articles/102/1027254p1.html

• 4 weeks later...
Sony hit up God of War fans with a pre-order solicit today, promising a remastered God of War I and II on a single disc for PS3 next month, plus a demo code for God of War III, due next year.

The God of War Collection, which hits retail in November, promises high definition resolution at 60 frames per second. Each copy includes a voucher to redeem the God of War III demo. The compilation is $36.99.

http://kotaku.com/5383776/god-of-war-remastered-edition-drops-in-november

• 2 weeks later...
Starting next month, U.S. PlayStation 3 owners will finally be able to stream high-definition movies and television episodes through Netflix's rental service via PlayStation Network at no additional cost.

"The PlayStation 3 system has always been about more than just gaming, and it will soon be the only platform in the industry to offer consumers such a variety of convenient options for enjoying movies and TV shows," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "Whether you want to watch content on Blu-ray disc and DVD, download it from the PlayStation Network's video delivery service, or stream videos instantly from Netflix, the PS3 system is the only solution that offers it all."

To enable the Netflix service, which will cost $8.99 a month, PS3 owners will initially need to insert an instant streaming Blu-ray disc that will be shipped out free of charge. The disc "leverages Blu-ray's BD-Liveâ„¢ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet." To reserve your disc, head over the Netflix's website.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/103/1038848p1.html

This is huge.

Netflix reps say the company will begin shipping out the Blu-ray discs that make streaming via BD Live technology possible some time in November. Which is good, considering the service was said to start in November.

That Blu-ray disc will be need to be inserted in the PlayStation 3 each and every time you watch a piece of streaming Netflix content. There's no option to install a dedicated Netflix app to the PS3's XMB, unfortunately, meaning you're going to have to get off the couch at some point.

Netflix reps say an "embedded solution" will be available "late next year," presumably after Microsoft's exclusive arrangement with Netflix expires.

What Netflix representatives wouldn't discuss is which party is handling the streaming of that video content. My concerns about the PlayStation Network, which is slower to download content than every other internet connected device in my house, forced me to ask. But Netflix isn't discussing it.

Nor are they discussing whether the same service is coming to the Wii.

"Certainly the Wii represents a great opportunity given the size of its installed base," reps noted "but we have nothing specific to say about it at this point." They had nothing to say about the availability of a similar streaming service for the PSPgo or iPhone.

http://kotaku.com/5391286/netflix-on-ps3-getting-embedded-solution-late-next-year

I could see them working on it. They'd have to do an upgrade on the wii Browser first though. It's still a few version behind on Flash.

I don't think they'd use the browser anyway; it'd likely be a channel on the menu. That being said, I'm not sure how much RAM the Wii has, and if it's enough to do standard-def streaming.

EDIT:

From Wikipedia:

Memory:

* 88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[92]

* 3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

So streaming on the Wii might be a problem. It's probably still doable, but yeah. Not particularly easy.