PS3 news

Missy

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the iPhone do Flash? If not, then it won't happen.

The built-in Safari browser doesn't currently support flash, but that doesn't matter. Youtube videos run on the iPhone via a separate app. I'm not sure if it's that Youtube reformatted all their videos for iPhone compatibility (which I think they did) or if the Youtube app runs flash. Either way, that means that Hulu and Netflix could do the same thing.

Can the iPhone do Flash? If not, then it won't happen.

The built-in Safari browser doesn't currently support flash, but that doesn't matter. Youtube videos run on the iPhone via a separate app. I'm not sure if it's that Youtube reformatted all their videos for iPhone compatibility (which I think they did) or if the Youtube app runs flash. Either way, that means that Hulu and Netflix could do the same thing.

It's probably the same way they work on the G1. They don't come from youtube.com, and don't need flash to view them. That's how I get around Youtube being blocked at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now they are calling it "Arc" again.

Get used to referring to Sony's forthcoming motion controller for the PlayStation 3 as Arc. That's how THQ president and CEO Brian Farrell referred to the still unofficially named, PlayStation Eye-powered controller, previously known as "Gem," in today's investor call.

That name backs up previously published rumors that Sony was going with the Arc name, but is still not confirmation of the PS3 controller, recently delayed to the fall.

We're checking in with Sony Computer Entertainment America reps to see if they'd like to just go ahead and confirm it already, but this is sounding more and more final.

http://kotaku.com/5463619/thq-ceo-names-sonys-motion-controller-as-arc

• 1 month later...

According to Garnett Lee the motion control is now called "Playstation Move".

Confirmed:

phpgyovnzthumbp10208878.jpg

It is almost an exact Wii ripoff. They showed a bare knuckle fighting game where you use two Move controllers that was awesome. You can also play SOCOM 4 with the Move.

There was definitely a lag between the movements, and the movements on screen. If they don't fix that, it could kill it.

Kotaku's list of reasons why it's not a Wii ripoff:

Fewer buttons: The Move controller is actually even more streamlined than the Wii Remote. Nintendo's Remote still offers/confuses a new player with a d-pad, plus, A, minus, 1 and 2 buttons as well as a home button and B trigger. The Move has its own home button and underbelly trigger, but just five other points of button input. That makes the controller actually feel a little naked and therefore likely even less daunting to a new player — unless they need their controllers to look like TV remotes.

-No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.

-A smarter controller: I played SOCOM 4, a third person-shooter, with the Move pointed at the TV like a gun and the sub-controller in my left hand to command character movement. Wii games that were controlled with Remote and Nunchuk could be befuddled if the player pointed the Remote away from the screen. If you were playing a shooter and aimed just off the screen, the game's camera might start spinning or the game would pause and ask for the player to point at the TV again. The combination of camera sensors — the Sony Eyetoy on top of the TV detects the presence of the Move — and a gyroscope prevented SOCOM 4 from getting confused. When I moved my controller to point off of the TV, the gyroscopic sensors kept track of my movement. The same thing happened when a SOCOM developer blocked the Eyetoy camera. The precision of the controller diminishes in these situation. but the PS3 doesn't lose track of the device.

-No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not.

-No off-hand gyro: The Wii Nunchuk has a sensor that detects motion, more crudely than does the Remote. The PS3's version of the Nunchuk, does not have a motion sensor, according to a developer I was speaking to. There's a chance that is not final, but that is the case with the controllers at Sony's showcase event today. But that's why two-handed boxing-style games were shown with two Moves. On the Wii, those kinds of games are handled, with supposedly less precision, with a Remote and Nunchuk.

-The colored ball: The colorful sphere at the pointing end of the Move is the thing that the PlayStation Eye uses to detect the presence of the Move. The color changes. In the demo I played with SOCOM 4, the sphere was orange. Why? Because the software detected that there was no orange in the background. If we had been in a different room, the color would be different. The Wii's signature hue may be white, but this varying color at the end of the Move will likely prove to be the Move's visual trademark.

Those are the differences, all less obvious than the similarities. The PS3 Move is being shown to support shooters and table tennis, fistfighting and co-op platforming. These may be familiar templates to Wii games who have sampled Metroid, Wii Sports, and Super Mario Galaxy. But at the nitty-gritty level, some of the PS3 Move's difference offer some nice feature improvements — maybe a drawback or two — and something that isn't quite the Wii-too it appears to be at first glance.

And, hey, the Sony person showing me SOCOM didn't even make me wear the controller's wrist strap. A Nintendo person would never let me get away with that.

I couldn't give two shits about this. More promotion for God of War III.

I dunno. It'll allow things that the Wii doesn't allow by virtue of it being Nintendo, namely getting to use it in Grand Theft Auto mini-games such as "beat the old woman", "stab the old woman", and, of course, "Hot Coffee (with the old woman)".

Here is a video showing all the shovelware they showed at GDC using the Move.

This screenshot has been the source of many chuckles all over the net.

2alkn.jpg

No, it's not the creepy faces pasted onto the characters(done with the camera btw). It's the character 50 Watt, who is the host of some cooking show I guess? My favorite 50 Watt photoshop is this one:

155taiw.jpg

• 3 months later...
A report from Bloomberg states Sony is close to signing an agreement with Hulu to bring the internet television service to PlayStation 3, according to sources.

The news outlet speculates the deal could be announced as early as next week. Representatives from both Sony and Hulu declined to comment on the report.

PlayStation Network users will have to register for a paid subscription service to use Hulu, according to Bloomberg. No word yet if this could one day be implemented into PlayStation Plus, Sony's premium PSN service first detailed this morning.

Several previous reports suggested Hulu would also be headed to Xbox Live, though no official announcement has been made.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1101904p1.html

What do people think of the Playstation Plus Service that is being released? The nuts and bolts of it seem to be

• Free, rotating monthly PSN games, minis and PS One Classics (at launch, those titles will be “WipEout HD, PSP minis and PS One Classics such as Fieldrunners, Age of Zombies and Rally Cross” – you keep them even if you cancel Plus)

• Discounts (20% to 50% off certain PSN games/content)

• Early Beta/Demo Access

• Full Game Trials (essentially one hour, full-game demos that can be purchased after testing)

• Automatic Downloads (your PS3 will wake in the night, downloading system and game patches, as well as content like videos)

All for $50 per annum, or $19 for 90 days.

I'll seriously consider it, the EU release gets Little Big Planet free (US gets inFamous), so that on it's own will be the tipping point for me. I don't like this whole 1hour demo thing, maybe a day, 12 hours.