PS3 news

Missy

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sucks is they continually use the "strenght of the US dollar" as an argument for the price difference, but now we're almost on even terms. Of course they also use 'market size' as the other argument, which I can't argue with, well I could, basically we are part of the EU when it comes to Sony (and other games I think) so they are basically ripping us off.

I always try to get 2 stats whenever an industry or government uses the term 'average' as I think that is very misleading. What I would prefer to see is which bracket has the most numbers. In this instance though, if the true average is 30, then I would imagine there aren't a lot of 40-50 year olds out there balancing out the 15-20yr olds, so the biggest bracket is probably 27-35 as well.

I agree with you that they stopped being toys a long time ago, but the problem with them is the social stigma of a grown male spending his weekends playing video games. Regardless of what else you do with the other 95% of your life, the media and society labels you/us a game nerd, so the industry instead of embracing that, promotes themselves as a childs market, as it's more media friendly. Of course if they came out and admited that is for adults, then the bad press about video games negatively effecting kids, would be less, because they could come out and blame the parents for not supervising!

2cents done and done :)

It basically comes down to the whole 'Gaming as an Art' argument. The industry has tried for years to show the world that it's a primarilly adult medium, but people don't listen.

Once society finally decides to recognize the medium as an artform (which is inevitable), everything else will pretty much crumble with it, and watchdog organizations will have to find something else to blame the ills of the world on.

I'd argue the ineviatability of Video Games ever being seen as anything other than a toy. The only thing I could see that would make it an art form (in the eyes of the general public) would be a prime time televised awards show, ala Emmy's, Oscar's and Grammy's. AND then for some A-list person to lend their name to character voices, motion capture, etc. But the problem with that is the crossover of stars/celebrities normally come from sci-fi / fanboy backgrounds. God of War had Michael Clarke Duncan and that is probably the biggest name I can think of in a video game (that wasn't also based on a movie featuring those actors). And a lot of people that do voice work like the anonimity of it all (see Billy West) so they wouldn't want a big award ceremony. I know it's more than just voices, but look at the Oscars, anything that isn't about the big names hardly gets any air time, because at the end of the day, people don't care.

That is just looking at it from 1 angle, but compared to comics, video games are still quite young and comics aren't thought of as anything more than a kids item (once again in mainstream society AND you don't live in Japan).

Of course most CGI films nowadays are pretty much video games, just without the user interaction :)

Patrick Stewart was the king in Oblivion, and they basically milked him for all he's worth. Look at Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. A lot of names there.

Video games will be thought of as an art form in the next generation. It's not now because video games still bring up the thought of the old Atari games in the minds of the older generation in charge. The next generation will have grown up with more story driven games.

Film wasn't considered an art form for the longest time because a generation still existed that remembered the prominance of theater. Eventually, enough people were exposed to it and saw the emotional resonance within and now no one even attempts to question the merits of film.

Like Jack said, the next generation will have it all figured out. Right now, the problem isn't with the name value of its voice actors, or award shows. It has to do with the fact that a lot of people these days are predisposed to hating or fearing video games, and even the ones that don't can have trouble wrapping their head around the artistic concepts that gaming introduces, mostly because they're things we haven't really seen before.

No one can finish Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus, or Bioshock and not think of video gaming as art, quite frankly.

• 1 month later...
There’s got to be at least a couple of games in the PS3’s library that interest you. What type of games do you typically enjoy?

RPGs, which I believe there are very few on the PS3 at the moment, and the ones that are out are crap(or I already played on the 360).

I remember watching a video review of it when it came out, and there was something about it that I didn't like but don't remember what it was.

Edit: Just set it up and already pissed. What asshole decided to not put hd cables in the box when one of it's selling points is a Blu-Ray player? I can't even use it to watch hd movies out of the box.

It is a shit, but I think most HD players are like that these days, at least in Australia. The argument is that people who already have a player and cables aren't paying for something they don't need. That works ok for DVD players that have been around for a while, but something that is under 2yrs old probably should come with full cables.

But yeah, I was like you and a bit pissed at that. My Sony Bravia didn't come with any HDMI cables either!

On the games front, I thought it always came with Motorstorm in the US?

It is a shit, but I think most HD players are like that these days, at least in Australia. The argument is that people who already have a player and cables aren't paying for something they don't need. That works ok for DVD players that have been around for a while, but something that is under 2yrs old probably should come with full cables.

But yeah, I was like you and a bit pissed at that. My Sony Bravia didn't come with any HDMI cables either!

On the games front, I thought it always came with Motorstorm in the US?

I can understand not coming with HDMI. Not all hdtvs have HDMI inputs(like mine). I don't understand why it doesn't come with something like the 360 where it's both SD and HD in one cable. Sony were the ones talking up the fact that it is "true HD".

The US version doesn't come with anything anymore. It used to come with a Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray, but they just ended that.

Ok, I've had a little while to get used to it so here's what I like about the PS3:

1. It's a cheap Blu-Ray player

2. I can access my PS3 using my PSP from work, and can even stream music and movies from my computer to my PSP through my PS3 using the internet. That's hot shit right there.

3. It's wireless so it's hooked up to my network out of the box.

4. Their online store uses actual dollars instead of points so I know how much I'm spending.

And what I don't like:

1. It's a finger print magnet due to it's piano black finish(and has touch sensitive buttons so no way around that).

2. You can't download in the background and watch a Blu-Ray or dvd at the same time. This is very frustrating.

3. The gimmicky SixAxxis controller. It's half ass trying to be a Wii at times. Also, no rumble.

4. Speaking of controllers, why is shooting always done with the R1 button instead of R2? R2 is like a trigger and they make you reach up to an unnatural position instead. The XBox 360 has controls down better than Sony does.

5. It gets hot enough to cook food on. It actually gets hotter than the 360(but is quiet).

6. There are still no exclusive games worth spending 60 bucks on(MGS comes out in like a week though).

7. In order to do the awesome stuff number 2 mentions I have to leave my PS3 on and in waiting for PSP mode all day.

Overall, it's a Blu-Ray player right now for me. I've already got 5 movies and zero games. I have downloaded and played demos and a couple full games though.

I broke down and bought a PS3 tonight, along with a couple Blu-Ray movies. When something I actually want to play comes out, I'll get a game also. For now it's a Blu-Ray/demo player.

That's the only reason I brought my PS3. If you have to spend 400+ dollars you might as well be able to play games and watch Blu-Ray. I'm waiting on a new MK game, Resident Evil Game and saving up on the Grand Theft Auto IV game. I have Spider-Man 3 and its not much different from Spider-Man for PS2.

• 3 weeks later...
Despite it playing movies, it's not a "movie player", it's a gaming system. It won't start picking up numbers until there are games worth spending 500 bucks to play. Only Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are worth it to most people.

Hehehe, just realised you've gone out bought yourself a movie player there Jack :)

Despite it playing movies, it's not a "movie player", it's a gaming system. It won't start picking up numbers until there are games worth spending 500 bucks to play. Only Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid are worth it to most people.

Hehehe, just realised you've gone out bought yourself a movie player there Jack :)

Wrong. I bought my first game for it last night :P MGS which I mentioned as one of only two games worth buying the system for(even though I was wrong and so far hate MGS).

Wrong. I bought my first game for it last night :P MGS which I mentioned as one of only two games worth buying the system for(even though I was wrong and so far hate MGS).

Touche.. I should have been quicker, haha.

No interest in Uncharted?

I played the demo and hated it.

My main problem with PS3 games are the controls and the controller. Shooting a gun always uses the R1 button instead of the trigger like R2 button. After playing with the 360 controller for 2 and a half years, it's hard to play on something inferior. The PS controller needs a huge redesign.

• 5 months later...
We knew it was coming this month, now we have the day: tomorrow. Yup, PlayStation Home will launch globally on December 11th. The 3D virtual on-line community is like Second Life, only with the risk of rootkit. Hot. All kidding aside, the new service gives PS3 owners a customizable place to chat (voice or text) and play games with other PlayStation Home users through personalized avatars. Just like real life except without acne and all your social shortcomings. Home will be available to download and "experience basic features" for free -- some services (like creating a "club") will require cash though, so be prepared.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/playsta...on-11-december/

This kind of came out of nowhere. I'm not even excited for it anymore even though it's free.

edit: I just read that there is going to be a Watchmen area in Home. Interesting:

Specifically mentioned in the release is a bunch of Watchmen-themed tie-ins. Director Zack Snyder has recorded some kind of "video greeting" for new users, while your virtual avatars will in the new year be able to spend your real money on t-shirts, clocks and statues. Also mentioned is "an exclusive Q&A event", hosted by "cast and filmmakers", where press and fans can talk the movie/comic from within a Watchmen Home space.

• 5 months later...
Late last week, we posted what appeared to be the first pictures of the PLAYSTATION 3 "Slim". Taiwan-based attorney Li Mo & Associates contacted us, potentially giving credence to the validity of the pictures.

In their email, the firm stated that these "trade secrets" had been posted online and demanded that the images be taken down "immediately" in a cease-and-desist. However, this legal notice did not come from Sony, who still has yet to comment on the images.

http://kotaku.com/5260117/ps3-slim-photos-...iwanese-lawyers

ps3slimcasing01.th.jpg

ps3slimbox01.jpg

I'm sure more people would prefer they spend money on bringing down the overall cost of the original, not bringing out a 'slim' version. I'm guessing this would have the power supply external, limited usb ports, no card readers, etc?

I'm still using my PS3 exclusively for music and movies/ripped TV, and it is probably the best machine I have used for such things. I hope we can get the PlayTV here in Oz sooner rather than later. The other thing I would like to see is that they improve the web browser in it, because it is terrible. Things take 10 times longer than using my laptop on the same connection. I would love to be able to stream radio from the net and use it as a radio tuner as well, but can't seem to get that to work.