Every comic you've read in 2013

Missy

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youngblood #0-10: Don't expect a revelation or anything, but it's mediocre. Liefeld's work, when it's clear he took his time and Danny Miki on inks. is really beautiful to look at. He did only get three issues in before a fill-in was needed though. This also includes the awful Jim Valentino comedy issue. I can't remember which Image book Liefeld drew that month...

Judgement Day: Alan Moore is given carte blanche with the Extreme Comics universe, so he spends the bulk of the story in a talky courtroom drama! I would love to see a chart comparing panels per page with this story compared with EVERY OTHER STORY LIEFELD'S DRAWN. A pretty great read, actually. Except for the aftermath stuff. That's awful. But the stuff Liefeld draws and the flashbacks during the trial are pretty amazing. This was during Moore's "homage" to comics history period. It works here better than it does in some other books he wrote at the time.

Comics: 160

Trades: 7

Omnibus: 2

The Question: epitaph for a hero: This was heavy, it took twice as long to read as a normal comic, and was pretty damn dark. Some of the stories worked better than others, the militia army story has no real resolution, and brings the entire trade to a grinding halt. The racism storyline is pretty good, even if the resolution has been done to death, no matter how good an idea it is, and the team up with Green Arrow is sort of missing something. The art is pretty good throughout, and like I said, a pretty heavy book to read, but was still enjoyable, even if the Rorschach mention felt a bit forced, as it came across almost like an ad for the Watchmen trade.

Trades: 17

Comics: 6

No real resolution? The militia members all commit suicide. That's pretty resolved.

Maybe I chose the wrong word to use, what I meant was I wanted them to be brought to justice, instead of them technically getting away with the murder of people at a football game. It just sort of ends. Overall, I just didn't enjoy that story as much as the other ones, which were more entertaining, like the racism issues, for example, that ending to that story was brilliant.

X-Men (#157-#165) - This Chuck Austen run was ass. I don't get the point of bringing in the 'real' Xorn. And stuff just happens. No build, no real reason. Just happens. Whatever momentum was built with this team on Uncanny was completely lost in these issues. And to top it off, in #165 Claremont just waves his hand and undoes most of what happened. (He does this in one of the worse, disjointed, clusterfuckiest single issues I have ever read.)

Comics - 35

Graphic Novels - 6

Trades - 10 (49)

Nth Man #1-16: Just happened to reread through these. Written by Larry Hama and drawn by Ron Wagner. It tells the post WW3 story of two men who grew up together in an orphanage facing off against each other. One is a telekinetic/psychic who is powerful enough to remake the world in space and time. The other guys is this:

Nth_man.jpg

Now, Ron Wagner is one of the all-time greats. His character design and storytelling is second to none. A true master who has not gotten the respect he deserves. This series allowed him to go bugfuck nuts. Hama had a blast doing this, but he was always such a controlled writer that it feels too loopy at times to be serious. It's like he's emulating Steve Gerber here. Crazy-time. I wish they'd collect this in a full trade.

What this did do, was make me start rereading my G.I. Joe comics. Good times on the way!

Comics: 176

X-Men: Gogotha - I have no idea. All the doubletalk and such made me not care. And to have it end in space, where everyone is wearing matching astronaut-ware, is confusing as all hell. And when did the X-Men need NASA to go into space?

X-Men: Bizarre Love Triangles - Re-reading this in context, and it is still stupid. I don't get Mystique's motivation. This team sucks so much. Too much soap opera and not enough action for my taste.

X-Men: Wild Kingdom - Random crossover happening randomly. Storm is not on this team. She has zero reason to be here. And this does a horrible job explaining the Storm/T'Challa relationship. Correction, this does a horrible job at everything.

Comics - 43

Graphic Novels - 6

Trades - 11 (54)

Not an official issue count entry as I'm planning on reading the entire run, but holy shit, you guys!

Issues 7 and 8 of G.I Joe (the 80s Marvel series) have the Joes and their allies (al Qaeda) teaming up with the Soviets to fight Cobra who double-crossed them all.

Cobra is the fucking GOOD GUYS!

So I've been only reading Cosmic Marvel, I'm kind of enthralled by it all.

Peter David's Captain Marvel: This is the run where Genis goes insane. It starts off really strong with a pretty serious tone about the whole thing and some really interesting philosophical questions and consequences. Unfortunately the rest of the book has an inconsistent tone switching back and forth from humorous stories to serious stories. I alwasy preferred it the way it was in the first story. Also, I didn't like how psychopathic they made Genis, in the first book he's pretty troubled, but afterwards he goes to full blown psychopathy. The main reason I read this story, besides the fact that I enjoy Peter David's writing, but in essence this is the introduction of Phyla-vell who plays a role in the Annihilation books. Overall a great story, with some great plots, but the inconsistent mood and tones bugged me slightly. The seriousness of actions often don't mix with the tone of the books. Overall, I believe I liked vol. 1 the most, then 4, 3, with 2 being my least favorite.

Annihilation: A prologue, a series of miniseries, before the main book. This is actually organized quite well for an event, with everything important being captured in three easy trades paperbacks. As for the mini's they're hit and miss:

Drax: I read this before and hated it originally, I'm still not a huge fan but after knowing a little bit more about Drax, it's not bad and it sets up the companionship with the little girl well.

Prologue: Really awesome start to the story, introduces all the main players and catches up with Drax.

Nova: Probably the best mini of the story, Nova pretty much takes center stage and is the MVP of the entire saga. This stories with Nova really show the urgency, desperation, and the dire consequences of being a hero.

Silver Surfer: Another enjoyable Annihilation prologue, probably the most cosmic of the bunch, and very interesting to learn about the larger forces in the universe like Galactus and his brothers.

Super Skrull: On the lower end of the scale, and a lot of that has to do with the art which is way too cartoony for such a gory story. Also Super Skrull isn't the most interesting character but the large supporting cast brings some fun into the whole situation.

Ronan: Probably the least interesting of the prologues, because Ronan, like Super-Skrull, is pretty one dimensional and minded, but unlike Super-Skrull he's sooo one dimensional that it kind of makes him a bit of a badass. The story though is kind of bland and the art is gritty and a little hard to look at.

Each of them have their strengths and all introduce important characters to the next bit of the saga. Also the Nova Corps files helps fill in on characters.

Annihilation: A really fantastic main event and a great way to wrap up the stories of the previous prologues and minis. All the characters from those books play a big role here and Nova really steals the show as the MVP. There are other characters that don't have their own prologue that also make an impact (characters like Moondragon, Phyla-Vell, Thanos, and Starlord). But everybody has their chance to shine and none of it feels oddly paced or out of place. A really great story that never dragged and wraps up pretty conclusively. The one thing that bugged me is the jump in time that skipped showing how Ronan, Nova, and Starlord built an alliance and got together.

Annilhilation Heralds: More of an epilogue, and honestly it's not really needed. Pretty weak too.

X-men Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire: So a little break from the Annihilation to catch up with what's going on with everybody's favorite mutants. I've read this before and I've heard that some of the events here have an impact on the realm of kings (or is it war?) storyline which comes after Annihilation Conquest, so I figured I'd read this again to freshed my memory. I enjoyed it it the first time, this time, not as much, the characters are all kind of there to serve the plot which is okay becuase the plot is semi-interesting, but it's rare that there is any ever character development in these stories. They kind of move from place to place with their personas. Certainly there are excellent moments showcasing each character though, but overall it feels a little muted. And I still don't like that petulant man-baby Vulcan.

Up next: More Marvel Cosmic (Annihilation Conquest, of which I've already read book 1, Nova, and War of Kings)

Am I the only person who thinks Age of Ultron #1 was a cluttered, jumbled, ugly mess?

It's a 30 page book (counting the intro page), in which nothing is explained. We're thrown into the aftermath, which is fine; it's an interesting way of starting an event comic. But is this our reality or another, is it now or the future, and how does it tie into the rest of the Marvel Universe?

I don't expect all of the twists and turns to be laid before me from the start, but I feel like I don't even see the road we're going to travel.

Feels like elseworlds. Just like the last 6 times, there will be no consequences for the destruction of New York or anything else in the story this time next year.

Marvel has created a real stakes issue with these events books. It's impossible to assign much weight to what is going on.

Horror in the West-A graphic novel anthology from Alterna Comics. Seeing as I'm working on a weird western right now, I was super-interested. Some of the stories are good and interesting. most are pretty rote and the art is pretty rudimentary on a lot of it. There are several spelling mistakes in the first 50 pages. That bugged the shit out of me. Overall, I can't really recommend unless you're super-interested in the subgenre.

Cyber Force #3-Again, gorgeous. So glad I helped Kickstart this.

JSA LIberty Files: The Whistling Skull #2: Almost as bad as the first issue. The ONLY downfall with DCBS is pre-ordering books you haven't had a chance to sample. And thus, this is a major disappointment. An ugly and inconsequential book. This rates in my top comic disappointments of the year.

Batman Inc. #7-This was a slight step up from recent issues, but it's still not great. Burnham's art...I can't do it.

Dial H #9: Goddam amazing. LOVE this book!

Comics: 180

Graphic Novels: 1

Batman: Loves and Madmen: Batman Confidential's take on the origin of The Joker. The art was a bit to scratchy for me, and the story was just alright, at best. A middle of the road story.

Superman: Last Son: What a pretty looking dull as hell book. This was the complete opposite of Superman: Brainiac for me, in that it just dragged on forever, and just sort of ends. The art is good, and that's the nicest thing I can say, good art, on a dull book.

Trades: 19

Comics: 6

X-Men: Decimation: The Day After - With Uncanny and New X-Men, when I got to M-Day I was disappointed. It ruined all moment that the books had and made the books worse. Here, not so much. This title had no momentum and that continues. Again, no team and random plot points happening at random, with no driving force.

X-Men: Blood of Apocalypse - Thankfully ending the crap run of Peter Milligan. Poorly written and poorly executed. Good riddance and hello Mike Carey.

Comics - 54

Graphic Novels - 6

Trades - 11 (54)