Episode 612

RSS

Dan and Wendee return once more to talk you through some more Books Without Pictures! This month, the topic of discussion is Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five; either this is the most incredible book you've ever read, or there's something intrinsically wrong with you -- a deep pit of emptiness and ache in your very core that can never be filled. Either way, stay tuned for an announcement that may or may not rock the Internet to its foundations. [ 1:58:14 || 57.0 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_612.mp3

Just finished this now - made for very pleasant accompaniment to my many chores!

I'm not as widely-read as I may project, and as such, I've not read any Vonnegut. But as I'd like to be the judge of whether Slaughterhouse-Five is the best book I could ever read - it'll take a lot to beat 'The Twits' by Roald Dahl - so I'm going to swing by my library in the next week to answer the challenge.

Oh, and congrats on the spin-off! I can't promise I'll be a regular feedback-er because, again, I've read very little classic sci-fi, but hopefully his will be one of those podcasts that helps me expand my horizons a little!

• 3 months later...

I can see Pan's Labyrinth del Toro having the creativity that made Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze's adaptations of Kaufman's scripts work so well. I really hope this actually happens and isn't one of the million projects del Toro has been attached to that have come to nothing.

This really strikes me as one more Del Toro project that gets talked about but never done. Kaufman would do it brilliantly, but he's crazy expensive and the project rests on the studio"s willingness to fund a movie based on a fifty-year-old cult novel.

George Roy Hill's 1972 version is still excellent.