Darth Tyranus v Obi-Wan Kenobi

Missy

Who wins...?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[spoiler WARNING!]

Darth Tyranus: As the apprentice of Yoda and later Darth Sidious, Tyranus mastered both sides of the Force and used his powers with a calm, almost dignified demeanor. Despite two-on-one odds, he was able to keep both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker at bay. (It was also in this fight that Tyranus deftly sliced Anakin's right arm off.) However, before the battle was through, Tyranus had one more challenger; his former Jedi Master stepped from around a corner and the two dueled to a standstill. Years later he would fall at the hands of a much more powerful Anakin Skywalker, one that sought revenge for the severed arm.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: While his passive manner might have fooled many into thinking he was nothing more than just another old man, Kenobi staved off many challengers, including hordes of robot troopers, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, General Grievous and Darth Vader. In the end, Obi-Wan allowed his former student to slay him so he could guide Luke Skywalker from the netherworld.

I have to go with Kenobi here. The guy looked like he would be kind of hard off to beat Tyranus early on in Ep. III, but then Kenobi managed to take down Skywalker, a much more powerful sith (even though he was new to it).

This fight is not even a contest. Count Dooku soundly defeated Obi-Wan in both Episodes II and III. Had Anakin not saved Obi-Wan both times, Dooku would have killed him.

Kenobi fights valiantly, but he is no match for Count Dooku.

Ah, but Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul, General Grievous and destroyed Darth Vader (pre-suit). While I agree that this fight would be close, it's my belief that Kenobi could take Tyranus down, especially when you consider what Cash said. Anakin/Vader killed Tyranus and Obi-Wan beat Vader, therefore Obi-Wan could beat Tyranus.

So because he didn't kill Tyranus that means he couldn't? Well, I guess I might as well cancel the rest of this tournament because Luke didn't kill Palpatine and Yoda didn't take care of Maul either. Also consider that Tyranus didn't kill Obi-Wan, so by your logic he couldn't win either.

So because he didn't kill Tyranus that means he couldn't? Well, I guess I might as well cancel the rest of this tournament because Luke didn't kill Palpatine and Yoda didn't take care of Maul either. Also consider that Tyranus didn't kill Obi-Wan, so by your logic he couldn't win either.

Your point made.

I stand by my vote, though. Dooku knocked Obi-Wan out of commision twice already, and if Anakin was never there, he could have killed Obi-Wan both times.

Though it's true that Tyranus knocked Obi-Wan out, take note of what Cash said: Anakin killed Tyranus and Obi-Wan destroyed Anakin. That tells me that Obi-Wan could handle Tyranus. Not saying it would be a breeze, but Kenobi could take him.

Yeah, but everytime Kenobi got into a fight with him he was either defeated or taken out of the equation. Ben may be able to defeat a lot of tough jedi's, but his win-loss record against Dooku cannot be denied, and that's with Anakin by his side part of the time.

I voted for Darth Tyranus, even though it only shows two people did.

I voted for Darth Tyranus, even though it only shows two people did.

Ack! Forgot to vote. My fault.

Something seems wonky with the scoring. Either Cash never actually voted, or I accidentally voted for Tyranus.

^ Agreed. Though, after looking at the results, I think I might have accidentally voted for Tyranus. (Either that, or you didn't vote, Cash.)

I accidentally didn't vote. All is changed now though!

Keep in mind that Kenobi was also probably having to partially look out for Anakin in those confrontations. That's a pretty big deal right there. Completely focused and in a one on one situation, Kenobi wins.

Just got back from seeing this. Either man could take each other, but I'm going w/ Tyrannus because he's the only guy to have owned Kenobi in the entire series.

CoughVadercough.

When did Vader ever "own" Obi-Wan? If I recall correctly, Obi-Wan was the one to walk away with all of his limbs. And if we're talking about the original trilogy, Obi-Wan let himself die so he could guide Luke from the afterlife.

Anakin/Vader killed Tyranus and Obi-Wan beat Vader, therefore Obi-Wan could beat Tyranus.

Except that Dooku already proved he could beat Kenobi. Twice. With Anakin helping Kenobi.

:D

Yes, Vader killed Dooku and Kenobi dismembered and torched Vader, but let me use a sports analogy.

For whatever reason, the New England Patriots just own the Indianapolis Colts. But that doesn't mean the Patriots will automatically beat any team the Colts can beat. Another team might have the exact personnel needed at the right positions to take New England apart, but can't get it done against Indianapolis.

Obi Wan. Though Tyranus technically defeated him twice, there were strange circumstances in both instances. In the first fight, he had no idea the depth of Tyranus' power, and Anakin refused to obey his orders. In the second battle, Obi Wan wasn't actually there for Dooku and Sidious' involvement in the battle cannot be underestimated. Plus, luck was with Tyranus in a major way in the second battle.

I think in a one on one battle with each knowing that they were going to meet prior to the engagement, Kenobi would take it.

Well in Episode 2 Dooku defeated Anakin twice. The first time he knocked him back with Force lightning and probably could have killed him if Obi wan hadn't saved him and the second time was when he got his arm chopped off but Yada saved both Obi wan and Anakin. Honestly I don't think that Obi could match Dookus powers or knowledge of the force but I do think he could come close to matching up with him in a one on one battle. I could see Obi wan winning if he battled Dooku with as much raw emotion that he battled Anakin with but if Dooku had even the tiniest way of getting the advantage then Dooku wins. To close to call.

Just got back from seeing this. Either man could take each other, but I'm going w/ Tyrannus because he's the only guy to have owned Kenobi in the entire series.

CoughVadercough.

Kenobi voluntarily let himself be hacked down by Vader. Thus my argument remains intact