Darth Sidious v Luke Skywalker

Missy

Who wins...?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Darth Sidious: Though no one realized it until it was too late, the former Senator was actually a Sith Lord who used both his Force and political powers to instigate a war that led to his complete control of the entire galaxy. Along the way Palpatine took several Jedi under his wing, including the men later known as Darth Maul, Tyranus and Vader, and trained them in the ways of the dark side of the Force. While he rarely outwardly used his skills, Palpatine had a masterful grasp of the dreaded Force Lightning, decent lightsaber skills and foresight like none other. With Darth Vader at his side, Emperor Palpatine ruled with an iron fist. When that failed and rebels began to fight back, he deployed his Death Star to obliterate one planet at a time.

Luke Skywalker: Farm boy turned Jedi turned savior of the galaxy. At a time when Jedi were plentiful and democracy filled the galaxy with harmonious peace, one would have started their Jedi training before they could lace up their own boots. But when evil evenly split the dark and light sides into two, there was no one left to train Luke. Despite that, the young man eventually stumbled upon "Ben" Kenobi and began his studies. A deft pilot -- just like his father -- Luke took to his new schooling rather slowly. However, after Obi-Wan allowed himself to die at the hands of Darth Vader, he guided young Skywalker from the afterlife and helped turn him into a powerful Jedi -- one that single-handedly destroyed the first Death Star. It was then Yoda who helped complete Luke's training, teaching him to overcome his deepest fears. And though he would lose his hand in his first fight with Darth Vader, Luke redoubled his efforts, continued his training, took on Jabba the Hutt, brought down the monstrous rancor, rebuffed Emperor Palpatine's offer to join him, fought off his father and eventually saved the man's soul.

This is actually pretty tough. Luke's resolve was superhuman, and if it was a battle of willpower alone, Luke would easily prove victorious. Sidious' mastery of the force is greater, but Luke is (arguably) better at lightsaber combat. I'm actually gonna say Luke here. Though I'll probably be outvoted.

Edited by J Marv

The only time they met, Palpatine defeated Skywalker. That, however, was only because Palpatine took Skywalker down with a cheap shot.

Going from Palpatine's epic battle with Yoda, I would say that he defeats Skywalker. Victory may cost Palpatine an arm and a leg (bad pun intended) but he manages to defeat Luke.

I'm really viewing these as straight up fights though and I think Sidious from Episode Three would just own Skywalker all around. Skywalker was too amaturish to know what Sidious was capable of and Sidious knew too many ways to get around Luke.

Luke with the loss here. If we were talking EU Luke though... holy shit.

Luke was a major badass during Return of the Jedi (he's the one that plotted the attack on Jabba) and he really brought it to Vader, but Sidious gave Yoda a run for his money. (Though, I insist that's only because he had the high ground for the majority of their fight.) So I'm thinking Luke could beat Sidious, but not without some trouble.

Also, considering that I see this as a straight up fight to the death, I automatically see Sidious as going to the lightning pretty damn fast.

Things that I pondered:

1. Control of the force: Sidious could fight with a saber and control objects at the same time. Skywalker could not. So, Luke would have to contend with a saber duel and taking care of flying objects. Not so easy considering his level.

2. Force lightning - Skywalker has never seen this and, going just off of the movies, would never have known of its existance. That's pretty damn big. Luke getting disarmed would have marked his end via lightning. Just him getting off for a second would have resulted in a single lightning strike which would have stunned him momentarily, enabling "choppy choppy" or "ZZZAP" to finish him.

3. Resolve - I think Skywalker's resolve is unmatched. All there is to it.

4. Saber fighting - Nobody will ever convince me that Sidious wasn't letting Windu win the battle. Nobody. Skywalker was good too, but Sidious was obviously hiding his skills a lot I think. I had to rule this a draw. BUT... Sidious' black hilted saber was freaking AWESOME looking.

1. Control of the force: Sidious could fight with a saber and control objects at the same time. Skywalker could not. So, Luke would have to contend with a saber duel and taking care of flying objects. Not so easy considering his level.

When did they ever show Sidious doing that?

As a thought, according to the Episode III Novel, Mace Windu's Lightsaber Form, called Vaapad (Form VII), the user of the form draws from deep emotions, which takes them very good to the dark side.

Mace Windu was a MASTER of Vaapad, meaning he was so good at it, that the Force Lightning (a Dark Side ability) practically went through him, not harming him at all, at least while he was weilding his lightsaber like a lightning rod, and extremely focused. Mace was essentially BEATING Palpatine in their duel, but was only defeated because of Anakin's interference

I agree with almost everything Cash said. Windu didn't have Palpatine beat in Episode III. Sidious was simply stalling it out so Anakin could turn to the Dark Side. That's not to say that Windu couldn't beat Sidious in a straight up fight, he just didn't in Episode III.

I'm voting for Sidious. In a one-on-one fight, he's just too powerful for Luke Skywalker.

As a thought, according to the Episode III Novel, Mace Windu's Lightsaber Form, called Vaapad (Form VII), the user of the form draws from deep emotions, which takes them very good to the dark side.

Mace Windu was a MASTER of Vaapad, meaning he was so good at it, that the Force Lightning (a Dark Side ability) practically went through him, not harming him at all, at least while he was weilding his lightsaber like a lightning rod, and extremely focused. Mace was essentially BEATING Palpatine in their duel, but was only defeated because of Anakin's interference

From the discussion thread:

These are the movie versions. Nothing that happens before Episode I or after Episode VI counts.

You wouldn't have a clue that happened. It's not movie.

Actually, there's a small part of me that's willing to allow the books that take place during the time of the movies (RE: adaptations and their spinoffs, The Han Solo trilogy, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, etc.), however, to keep this simple for the people that haven't read them, I believe it's best if we ignore the novels and comics altogether. Plus, it's all Extended Universe stuff that Lucas basically ignores anyways.

From the discussion thread:

These are the movie versions. Nothing that happens before Episode I or after Episode VI counts.

You wouldn't have a clue that happened. It's not movie.

Was it a crime to mention it though? It's only the Novel Adaptation of the movie anyway...

That said, I'm banking on Sidious.

Yup. That's the only real reason Luke allowed himself to be captured and brought before the Emperor. Luke didn't care if he lived or died, all he wanted to do was free Anakin's soul.

This really makes me lean towards Luke. I've just seen Episode III (which is why I haven't been posting or voting in this tourney), so I saw the fight with Yoda and Mace. I don't really think Sidious allowed Mace to get the upper hand, first off. There wasn't any way to let Mace get the advantage without disfiguring yourself in the process? If you're THAT much better than Mace that you think you can play around with him until Anakin shows up, and then look vulnerable, I'd think you'd come up with a better way than that. The Yoda fight, he had the high ground as Yoda said, and Yoda kinda gave up, if you ask me. I'm going with Luke.

Shit this is tight!  Eight more hours to go and they're still tied!

Waait, so my vote actually matters?! As if I wasn't pressured enough

. :(

-edit-I went with the darkside on this one, Sidious barely gets my vote.

-edit yet again-And apparently my vote didn't count. Well hell....