2013-2014 Television Season

dc20willsave

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While yes, the CW and the networks it descended from (The WB and UPN) had a fair amount of crap on them, there's also been some very good things that came from, namely Buffy, Veronica Mars, Supernatural, Reaper, and a lot of other things that I can't be bothered to remember. Point is, even if the trailer looks like crap to you, hey, remember you're not always the target demographic and besides, trailers can be really bad at showing you what something is going to be.

Maybe there's been a show as good as Buffy or Veronica Mars on the CW recently, but I wouldn't trust the age group to tell me it was good because they don't know good TV.

Maybe it's also that I'm much more orientated towards quality tv and away from formulas. Maybe The Wire ruined me for network TV. I'm probably going to check out Hannibal because I've heard so much chatter but other than that I'm solidly into my HBO's, FX's and AMC's.

I'm probably going to check out Hannibal because I've heard so much chatter but other than that I'm solidly into my HBO's, FX's and AMC's.

Hannibal is so good, it should be on cable.

The highest compliment. I really like the cast actually, that's a big factor.

I will be watching Star-Crossed if only because I'll watch pretty much anything with Brina Palencia in it (no clue if she'll be just a one-off, or a recurring or what, but she's in a good chunk of the trailer, so here's hoping for her.)

No offense but that sounds like an obnoxious viewpoint, like "if young people like it THEN IT MUST BE SHIT!"

It's not shit because young people like it. Young people just like shit. Take hot high schoolers, add in some paranormal, make two of them fall for each other Romeo and Juliet style, and you have almost every CW show. It's fine that there is a place and an audience for that, but don't tell me it's quality programing.

No offense but that sounds like an obnoxious viewpoint, like "if young people like it THEN IT MUST BE SHIT!"

It's not shit because young people like it. Young people just like shit. Take hot high schoolers, add in some paranormal, make two of them fall for each other Romeo and Juliet style, and you have almost every CW show. It's fine that there is a place and an audience for that, but don't tell me it's quality programing.

I would tell you to watch the program before you called it shit.

My general rule of thumb is not to call something "shit" unless I've had a chance to experience it. That isn't restricted to movies/TV either - when I'm out and about on my museum travels, I love to seek out places like Swindon or Sunderland or anywhere in Wales so that I have a chance to suss it out for myself. THEN deride it for being Swindon/Sunderland/Wales*.

It's all about giving something a fair crack at the whip. A show's trailer can be an 100% accurate representation of a show/movie, or it could be cherry-picked to highlight certain aspects that are tailored towards the demographic - and the most highly-coveted demographic appears to be the teenage-30 year old male grouping. It'd be fairer to watch 1-3 episodes of a show if you wanted a half-accurate opinion on it. It could be that your views after 3 episodes match up with your views on the trailer and you'll feel vindicated in not caring about the show any further. You might find the reverese is true and you like it a lot more than first thought.

In short, be wary of basing your final, lasting opinion on a trailer/some trailers. Use trailers to prioritise when you get round to watching something instead. E.g. It'll be quite a while before I get round to seeing After Earth, but I wouldn't want to judge it without seeing it - I just want to watch something that looks more appealing ahead of it.

I could apply the contractual legal theory of an "invitation to treat", but this post is long enough already.

*exaggerated for humour - there's still much of Wales I've yet to see.

And as Dan posted, adults like garbage, too.

Absolutely. In fact. most of what is popular is complete shit. That means that the general audience prefers things that have little to no merit, as a rule.

Everyone likes shit. Look at what Chris watches. Half the time the director couldn't even afford people who speak English so they just write the words on the bottom of the screen. No movie, books are for reading.

This is a contender for post of the day if I ever saw one.

My general rule of thumb is not to call something "shit" unless I've had a chance to experience it.

Yup. There's a ton of stuff I just plain won't subject myself to because I believe my time is worth more than that, but I certainly won't call it shit until I see it.