Episode 116

RSS

The Doctor must unravel the mystery of a man claiming to be The Doctor, all while stopping the Cybermen from destroying London in 1851 ("The Next Doctor"). Then, a pleasant bus ride turns into a nightmare when a hole in space threatens the Earth ("Planet of the Dead"). Dan and Mike also discuss two Doctor Who shorts: "Music of the Spheres" and a segment from Tonight's the Night. The guys read through lots of e-mails, bemoan poor special effects and costumes, and sort of disagree about one of the stories. Also, Mike makes a call for donations. Please listen for details, then follow this link if you wish to contribute: www.earth-2.net/donations.php. [ 1:55:34 || 55.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_116.mp3

Planet of the Dead is the only modern Dr Who story I've not seen all the way through. I tried, but it was honestly that bad.

The Cyber Shades are up there with Dalek McPenisbeard as the worst variation on a classic villain ever.

I've mentioned this before, but if you want to see David Morrissey and John Sim as the leads in an excellent mini series check out the BBC's original State of Play from 2003. Also featuring Phillip Glenister, Kelly MacDonald, Bill Nighy and James McAvoy. The film with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck is OK but the series is far better.